• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 Yamaha boats the dealers are quoting $3,000 freight and prep. Is everyone paying this?

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I’m calling around to tons of dealers and they are all saying MSRP plus $3,000 for freight and prep. Tons of dealers are saying this same number. Is this what everyone is paying on 2021 boats? I’m currently waiting to see if any of them can throw In a mooring cover and come up on my trade value to make the deal better. Let me know what you guys are paying extra for on 2021 boats and what kind of deals you are finding. When I bought my last boat pre-COVID many years ago I didn’t pay any dealer fees and paid less than MSRP and got the cover for like $500. Different times now I guess. Hard to even find a boat and the dealer know this.

Thanks!

Can’t answer this, but why not hang on to your boat? You pay MSRP plus freight and tax and your big time negative equity in a year when things turn back to normal..Sit it out and not get screwed...

Let me guess, dealer says: you got to pay msrp due to covid, but your trade isn’t worth much due to covid..

Can’t answer this, but why not hang on to your boat? You pay MSRP plus freight and tax and your big time negative equity in a year when things turn back to normal..Sit it out and not get screwed...

Let me guess, dealer says: you got to pay msrp due to covid, but your trade isn’t worth much due to covid..

Haha pretty much

If your boat is solid, it may a good time to stand pat and see where the market goes. I have a funny feeling that 21' models may see an update for 2022 or 2023. Not sure what size you are looking for.

Just a heads up for those that are curious the dealer fees that my dealer is charging in Canada is 4495 CAD or 3540 USD for a 19 foot boat.

I’m having 0 luck negotiating here also.

Just a heads up for those that are curious the dealer fees that my dealer is charging in Canada is 4495 CAD or 3540 USD for a 19 foot boat.

I’m having 0 luck negotiating here also.
Gouging due to supply and demand unfortunately...we bought in June of 2020 and still got a decent deal even though boats were starting to get scarce. If you tell them that "your friend got his boat last summer for $1000 fees" they might come down a bit knowing that you're aware of the gouging. Or ask for $4000 worth of extras thrown in to cover the gouging. Don't be afraid to haggle and let them know you're aware of prices and fees. They generally don't want to lose a sale over some fees.
;)

I paid msrp in oct. nothing added. No prep or freight. Keep in mind freight will probably vary depending on location from the factory. Also with my boat im sure there was a bigger profit margin for them to lose the freight and prep. It may be different with the smaller boats.

252se last week. Msrp +2850 in dealer prep and freight. I added snap in covers for 1387. But, they had it in stock and it was exactly what I wanted (and they agreed to store for the rest of the winter). I did not want to miss a summer of boating, so it was worth it to me.

I don’t know about the boat markup but here in NCal the average markup for a Waverunner is $2360 (this is for them to install batteries, the steering column which is plug and play, put oil in the engine alone with a fresh battery and fire extinguisher). At least the second pic is more honest about it.
88834438-BEDA-447A-A0AA-8EFBF9A1E046.jpeg99B26DC3-FE3F-4BB0-9CAD-0616B674C408.jpeg

The freight and prep should be higher for the bigger more complex boats that require more prep.

Supply and demand makes this a sellers market.

I’m calling around to tons of dealers and they are all saying MSRP plus $3,000 for freight and prep. Tons of dealers are saying this same number. Is this what everyone is paying on 2021 boats? I’m currently waiting to see if any of them can throw In a mooring cover and come up on my trade value to make the deal better. Let me know what you guys are paying extra for on 2021 boats and what kind of deals you are finding. When I bought my last boat pre-COVID many years ago I didn’t pay any dealer fees and paid less than MSRP and got the cover for like $500. Different times now I guess. Hard to even find a boat and the dealer know this.

Thanks!
@NewBoater ..... that is what is happening where I live. You may be able to get the trailering cover for free ( it seems a number of dealers do that) but also ask for things at dealer cost like snap on bow and cockpit covers, a spare tire, oil and filter etc. that can save you a lot of money and not cost the dealer directly ( just a loss of profit). There seems to be such a shortage of boats that no one is dealing. Used Yamaha boats near me (same as mine only a LOT older) were and are selling for the same price as my new 2020 SX195. It's nuts. I agree with many posters who have said it may be too late to buy a new boat until COVID wanes enough to allow normal manufacturing volume and people who impulse bought boats with excess money from no travelling etc. flood the market. IMO your dealer should be able to get top dollar for your boat so if he's charging you full MSRP and fees and won't give you top dollar for your trade walk away! Yes, I know that's easy for me to say as I already have my new boat but what some dealers are doing now is disgusting and I hope local boaters remember their behavior when "normal" returns. :cool:

Tons of the boats sold last summer because COVID and they had nothing to do but go boating and Yamaha had no payments for 90 days so they got a free summer of boating hopefully those boats start showing up for sale.

I think we are all on the same boat here(pun intended) with prices.
I couldn't get any of the dealers in my area to budge, and they all came in right around $2k for Freight/Prep on the boat and around $800 for the ski. No dealer markup on either my wave runner or the boat though.

I just put a deposit down on a SX250. 58850 + tax + 300 Doc fee. That includes galvanized trailer, cover, and some safety items.

1610112241546.png

It sucks for buyers, but I don't think most dealers like the situation either. They have limited product to sell and need to make maximum money on each one. I think dealers would rather push higher volume and be able to offer discounts on things like the dealer prep fees. They make money on the back end, financing, warranties, merch, plus getting new customers for the service department; with lower volumes, they have few opportunities on any of this. Although they have plenty of potential customers and are getting top dollar for the product, I don't think I would want to be in the boat business right now. I especially would not want to be a boat salesmen.

Friend of mine works at a large RV mega dealer/sporting goods store, and he was just transferred from RV sales to the shooting/hunting department. High demand for both, but at least they have product to sell.

I have been looking at the 275's and a dealer near me wants over $4000 for prep/delivery fees. Found a dealer about 2 hrs away that will charge just the MSRP and include a trailer, no markup or BS added fees. needless to say I'll go with them when/if we pull the trigger on a new boat.

I just put a deposit down on a SX250. 58850 + tax + 300 Doc fee. That includes galvanized trailer, cover, and some safety items.

View attachment 139859
Congrats on the new boat!!!

The MSRP of an SX250 is $58,000 and the galvanized trailer is a $400 upgrade over the regular trailer so total MSRP would be $58,400. In essence, you paid $450 (58,850-58,400) for a mooring cover, full tank of gas, coast guard package, and freight/prep. Pretty good deal in today's environment where most dealers want MSRP plus thousands in prep/freight costs and don't throw in any freebies. The mooring cover, full tank of gas, and coast guard package would have easily cost you $1200 plus if you had to buy them separately.

Congrats on the new boat!!!

The MSRP of an SX250 is $58,000 and the galvanized trailer is a $400 upgrade over the regular trailer so total MSRP would be $58,400. In essence, you paid $450 (58,850-58,400) for a mooring cover, full tank of gas, coast guard package, and freight/prep. Pretty good deal in today's environment where most dealers want MSRP plus thousands in prep/freight costs and don't throw in any freebies. The mooring cover, full tank of gas, and coast guard package would have easily cost you $1200 plus if you had to buy them separately.

Thanks!!! Now the long cold wait till spring and delivery.

On our 19SS we are paying Screenshot 2021-01-08 182346.png. Doesn't appear that they are willing/need to negotiate either.

I paid 43500 for a 195S, mooring cover, pull behind tube, galvanized trailer, and spare tire. This doesn't include tax. Tax is about 1200.00

Back