• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

346 hours on a 2013 Yamaha 242 Limited S

rushbmc101

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So I’m looking to buy a 2013 Yamaha Limted S. It has 346 hours on it. I’ve noticed by looking at others for sale for the same year (or close to) that it’s above average in this area. Is that a lot of hours for the year? What should I be more wary of with a higher usage jet boat?

That’s around 35-40 hours a year, so really not terrible. I bought my AR230 with higher hours (600+), still runs like a top. But you may run into needing to replace clean out plugs if they didn’t take care of them and then making sure when you look at it that the impellers and wear rings are in good shape. 346 hours really isn’t that bad. I’d just pay attention to how the boat looks in person, if it’s clean and the seats are in great condition then you know the owner took pride in taking care of it.

That is not even close high hours for that year. Do a compression check on the engines, make sure cleanout plugs are free, check the impellers for damage, check the hull for any signs of damage and take it out on the water for a test run if possible.

Where are you located? Perhaps a member could help you check out the boat if you have reservations. I wouldn't be afraid of those kind of hours as long as the owner did regular oil and spark plug changes.

40ish hours a year is not a lot. I agree with the suggestions above. Was is used in salt water....if so, I'd be inclined to have a mechanic look at cooling passages to ensure it was rinsed properly after use. (if you add your location to your profile we'd know roughly where you are, and even a local might help you check out the boat!).

Thanks eveyone. The boat is located at Sunrise Beach, MO 65079 at Lake of the Ozarks. I have updated my profile to include my location. Thanks for the tip.

With the way boat prices are inflated right now, $44,900 is actually less than I thought it was going to be. I agree with pretty much everything else that's been said...the hours don't seem excessive for the year and if it checks out on inspection I think it's a good boat.

What I like about this boat is that you have a prevalence of analog gauges and controls. Boat looks like it's in great shape and I like the covers too. Trailer looks clean as well.

i would rather buy a boat that someone was using the crap out of then one that has been sitting with very few hours on. if the boat had 1500 hours on it then that would be a different story but 300-400 hours is nothing

Those hours are low in my opinion, I have 160hrs on my 2020.

in addition to the compression check on both engines, clean out plug check, and impeller and wear ring check. Btw, when inspecting the impellers and wear rings, the gap between the impellers and wear rings is, I believe .013-.017”.

Have the ECU checked for fault / error codes.

How do the sacrificial anodes look on the pumps?

How does the bilge look in the engine compartment?

Any maintenance records?

FSH 210 sport. I have to be honest you have lost me there with some of those mechanical terms. However I will make sure the inspection company will cover them and I’ll try and learn about them in the process:)

FSH 210 sport. I have to be honest you have lost me there with some of those mechanical terms. However I will make sure the inspection company will cover them and I’ll try and learn about them in the process:)

the ECU is the computer that controls the engine, it will record any faults, over heat events that have occurred on the engines.

On the jet pumps there are blocks of zinc that corrode first rather than the other components on your boat and are replaceable. They are considered sacrificial as they are meant to get destroyed from electrolysis rather than the jet drives or engine components. There are also smaller anodes that are in the cooling water passage that can be removed and replaced, I doubt you’d get the selling dealer to pull them out for inspection.

The engine room cleanliness is a good indicator of how well that part of the boat has been taken care of. I’ve seen where the upholstery and everything else is immaculate and the engine bay does not show the same level of care as it is out of sight. It doesn’t have to be perfect, but if it looks like it has been neglected there is a good chance the engine maintenance has been neglected. If you wanted to take it to another level you could pull oil samples and send them off for used oil analysis which will tell you the condition of the oil as well as what wear products-bearing material and such- is suspended in the oil. If I were going to buy any used vehicle I’d be running a used oil analysis on them.

Best of luck! I hope it turns out to be a great boat and you make many happy memories on it!

I paid $43k for my 2013 242LS back in May with 326hrs. Other than some scratches here and there it's in good shape. It did have the pumps rebuilt when it ran over a floating bimini top one year. I may need to replace an impeller housing or two next year but these engines seem to have plenty of life left. These engines go over 3k hours in jetskis all the time so it's the maintenance that matters. I bought my boat from a guy who is a marine fleet manager for the city and a retired military mechanic, I assume he would have no reason not to take great care of it.

Back