• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR195 Build Mods

DBMainiac

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
What were your RPMS? How many people on board? Any weight in the bow? Have you changed the oil and plugs?
I’m literally at the dealer. They took it in trade. RPMS were hanging right around 7600 WOT. 3 passengers with a total weight of 450, all in cockpit. Nothing in the bow but the filler cushion. I’m just really surprised/disappointed after all I’ve heard

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I’m literally at the dealer. They took it in trade. RPMS were hanging right around 7600 WOT. 3 passengers with a total weight of 450, all in cockpit. Nothing in the bow but the filler cushion. I’m just really surprised/disappointed after all I’ve heard
Yeah something is off there as the RPMS seem about right. Something is going on with the impeller or something in the pump tunnel.

What elevation are you at?

DBMainiac

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Yeah something is off there as the RPMS seem about right. Something is going on with the impeller or something in the pump tunnel.

Thanks for getting back to me. I’m Just outside of Baltimore. Sea level. I was thinking the RpmS were right so it had to be with pump/impeller as well

@swatski any thoughts from you?

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Check impeller and wear ring. Make sure the reverse bucket is clearing the nozzle.

DBMainiac

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Check impeller and wear ring. Make sure the reverse bucket is clearing the nozzle.
It’s not a Yamaha dealer, they took it in trade, they mostly sell chaparral. So they know dick about this boat. I told him I was going to try and get some more information and Id think about it over a breakfast beer. I drove eight hours for the boat so I’m not rushing off. He’s going to pull it and rinse it all out and then I’ll be able to inspect the impeller pump housing and all that.

DBMainiac

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Thanks for getting back to me. I’m Just outside of Baltimore. Sea level. I was thinking the RpmS were right so it had to be with pump/impeller as well

@swatski any thoughts from you?
So I’m headed back in a few minutes. They have the boat pulled out. I’m praying for something simple and obvious (I’m super green with this whole jet boat thing) like shit in the impeller or the bucket not totally clearing. If it isn’t something I can see in short order, would you guys steer clear of this boat? It looks perfect and was owned by a 65 year old who said it was too much boat and traded for a pontoon. Used ARs are not prevalent in my area (hence 8hour drive) but I absolutely hate buyers remorse.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It’s not a Yamaha dealer, they took it in trade, they mostly sell chaparral. So they know dick about this boat. I told him I was going to try and get some more information and Id think about it over a breakfast beer. I drove eight hours for the boat so I’m not rushing off. He’s going to pull it and rinse it all out and then I’ll be able to inspect the impeller pump housing and all that.
Conditions are super big factor, 1ft chop could slow you down if it hits certain way. Also, loading is key for topw speed, there is no trim, so need to load stern heavy.
Also - trivial but could be a big factor - clean hull, and that includes the bottom.
Most of these yammies leak, so make sure there is no excessive water int he bilge.

The RPM is were it should be so you may have some cavitation. When you hit the throttles WOT from a dead start, do you have a lot of impeller "slippage"? Feels like wheels spinning in mud, before the impeller "hooks up" and yanks the boat out of the water - hole shot.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Both of my yamahas had sealant missing and gaps in intake tunnels, so 3 yamaha pumps I have had had that issue. relatively easy and inexpensive to fix - even sealing with 100% silicone will help albeit is not a long term solution. Any gaps where air can enter the tunnel will make the pump suck air and lose efficiency. Not the end of the world, and a strait forward fix. may need to pull the pumps (the reverse bucket/nozzle, and stator segment with the impeller and shaft) to inspect and seal. Not difficult at all (just don;t lose those pesky dowels - you will see) and good practice.
Can you post some pics of the inside tunnel, and impeller - stick a phone in the tunnel through the cleanout ports in swim deck and intakes under the boat?

DBMainiac

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Conditions are super big factor, 1ft chop could slow you down if it hits certain way. Also, loading is key for topw speed, there is no trim, so need to load stern heavy.
Also - trivial but could be a big factor - clean hull, and that includes the bottom.
Most of these yammies leak, so make sure there is no excessive water int he bilge.

The RPM is were it should be so you may have some cavitation. When you hit the throttles WOT from a dead start, do you have a lot of impeller "slippage"? Feels like wheels spinning in mud, before the impeller "hooks up" and yanks the boat out of the water - hole shot.

--
Yes there was noticeable slippage, which from what I’ve read is normal from holeshot and remedied by the L13. But I wouldn’t expect cavitation issues at WOT. the hull was recently pressure washed. It was only put in the water for my seatrail.

malibu Dan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I would really focus on any impeller damage as that just is not what that boat is capable of...also, I know this sounds dumb but does the dealer know that is a high octane only boat..

DBMainiac

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length

Okay so the sales rep took it back out with his technician and got it to 45 before pulling it out of the water. The technician also said that it’s bottom painted, and that will typically rob a few mph from the top end. I’m pulling in to inspect now. But I do feel a little better that they got to 45 with 2 people ( he took a pic with his phone). The Bimini is also out. Does that rob a mph or 2?

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Okay so the sales rep took it back out with his technician and got it to 45 before pulling it out of the water. The technician also said that it’s bottom painted, and that will typically rob a few mph from the top end. I’m pulling in to inspect now. But I do feel a little better that they got to 45 with 2 people ( he took a pic with his phone). The Bimini is also out. Does that rob a mph or 2?
No I have the same boat at sea level with my wife and 2 small kids with the Bimini up and I run 50 to 51. The comment about the haul being painted is BS. Sounds like there may be a few items wrong though if it’s only hitting 45.

DBMainiac

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
No I have the same boat at sea level with my wife and 2 small kids with the Bimini up and I run 50 to 51. The comment about the haul being painted is BS. Sounds like there may be a few items wrong though if it’s only hitting 45.

Attachments

DBMainiac

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
So looking at the under rigging, it’s spent some consistent time in salt water. The dealer doesn’t even have the flush adapter to clean it out. I don’t know how well it was flush after each use.... this is so frustrating

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That boat is in rough shape, if it was me I would pass.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We should have started with that... Also pics of the impeller would be useful, if it looks like the rest of the pump I'm surprised it goes anywhere close to 40mph.
"pressure washed"??? I guess it can mean different things...
this is bs barnacle fest; this alone would scrub 5-10mph if not more...

DBMainiac

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
That boat is in rough shape, if it was me I would pass.
Thank you for your input. I am still on the fence as used AR in my area is hard to come by. I have pulled the plugs and there was quite a bit of water the bilge didn’t pull. That alone would account for some speed I would think. This definitely wasn’t cared for like it had hoped. Of course no pics of bottom/impeller area online before I got here. I’m just seeing it for the first time.

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thank you for your input. I am still on the fence as used AR in my area is hard to come by. I have pulled the plugs and there was quite a bit of water the bilge didn’t pull. That alone would account for some speed I would think. This definitely wasn’t cared for like it had hoped. Of course no pics of bottom/impeller area online before I got here. I’m just seeing it for the first time.
This boat will take some work and a lot of cleaning. Depending on how mechanically inclined you are and how much time you have. It all comes to cost and time. If the price is right and you have the know how and possibly up to 1k in new parts if needed.

DBMainiac

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
This boat will take some work and a lot of cleaning. Depending on how mechanically inclined you are and how much time you have. It all comes to cost and time. If the price is right and you have the know how and possibly up to 1k in new parts if needed.
I think they cleaned the topside to make it nice and shiny and didn’t do shit to the underside. I’m super frustrated but I really appreciate all of you guys’ input. Price is 29k out the door. Cheaper than most the 17 195’s I’ve seen but there’s no service log. The sales rep doesn’t even know that the oil has ever been changed. Just too many red flags

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I would run from that boat.