• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Assembling a toolkit for the boat

Lee Wilke

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
These cases would be great to hold tools in for a kit and they are fairly inexpensive. I use 1 for a couple of pistols I have.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Based on my experience with my previous prop boat, I would include a back-up drain plug. I had to borrow one from someone who had a back up. Also, maybe some navigation light replacement bulbs if they haven't been mentioned yet.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I like those cases lee. I might have to get one for my tool kit.

multiple people here have posted clamps to cut off the water line in case you need to tow. On my 23 the coolant lines were right in the open and easy to get a hose clamp on. My 27 now is completely impossible. There is no way you will get your arm in there to work one of those clamps onto that line. If your access is tight to the coolant line then i highly recommend a pair of the small needle nose vise grips. It much easier to get those onto the hose. I have been using them on my skis for years so the antifreeze doesnt pour out the pump when winterizing.

Lee Wilke

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I like those cases lee. I might have to get one for my tool kit.

multiple people here have posted clamps to cut off the water line in case you need to tow. On my 23 the coolant lines were right in the open and easy to get a hose clamp on. My 27 now is completely impossible. There is no way you will get your arm in there to work one of those clamps onto that line. If your access is tight to the coolant line then i highly recommend a pair of the small needle nose vise grips. It much easier to get those onto the hose. I have been using them on my skis for years so the antifreeze doesnt pour out the pump when winterizing.
Yeah just get on the Harbor Freight site and look up cases, they have many different sizes and good prices. They are basically Pelican knockoffs at a HUGE discounted price. Look around for coupons for Harbor Freight and you may get it or them even cheaper.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
I just picked up one of these for the truck and boat:

They get great reviews and are idiot proof. Great peace of mind if I run the radio too long while anchored!!
Nice looking Lab. Have always been partially to English line. Will check out the vid.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I did not see Ty Raps mentioned here... I usually carry some good quality ty raps with me, not the cheap ones with the plastic retainer, the Ty Rap brand with the metal retainer. The smaller ones have a breaking strength of 50lbs. Pretty hand to have around in a pinch.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So you are 3 years later. How has your kit changed? What's the current makeup?
Three years later it still looks like this. Several of the tools came in handy during Bimini trips and shorter boating days. The tools have held up well. The Crescent wrench / ratchet has needed some oiling.

The multimeter has been quite helpful to have.

I do throw one of these, a roll of solder and a shrink tubing in the boat for longer trips. https://www.amazon.com/Weller-P2C-Butane-Soldering-Iron/dp/B000B61L0G

I should add a lighter to the toolkit. I typically have one with the grill but ended up using a hand flair to start a fire one day.

IMG_2852.JPG

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I did not see Ty Raps mentioned here
I have small cable ties but nothing as strong as your Ty-Raps.

Forgive me if you mentioned it already.. what brand / model are those cases are pictured there?
The blue one is Flambeau. The blue dividers are an anti corrosion material. I have some those those loose in the red case. Both have held up to three years of boating.

I am uncertain of the brand of the red one. It may be Flambeau. If it is not I would buy Flambeau next time.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have small cable ties but nothing as strong as your Ty-Raps.

The blue one is Flambeau. The blue dividers are an anti corrosion material. I have some those those loose in the red case. Both have held up to three years of boating.

I am uncertain of the brand of the red one. It may be Flambeau. If it is not I would buy Flambeau next time.

Thanks for the info!! That’s a great tool kit you’ve put together.. I have just some very basic items in my army tool bag thus far.... will change out the bag for a waterproof box like yours. The butane powered soldering gun is a great addition! You just need enough “stuff” to complete the day O fun or to get you back to the launch.

Have you installed the tow valves on your boat? I’m intending on doing so to mine so it can be towed behind a house boat without worry, or to be able to run full power on a single engine if one craps out.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Have you installed the tow valves on your boat? I’m intending on doing so to mine so it can be towed behind a house boat without worry, or to be able to run full power on a single engine if one craps out.
I have not installed tow valves. Having twin engines and batteries with a low voltage disconnect I have assumed that I would return on one engine if needed.

I once had a piece of wood stuck in one of the pumps that I could not pull out while on the lake. I started that engine leaving it at idle then throttled up the other engine and used the trim tabs to level and plane the boat. I was able to run 18 MPH on one engine with the other idling. If I had not been able to start both engines that would have been 5 MPH.