• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
So my blood boils when I see shit like this. This will be a historical photo that won't be forgotten. So go ahead and study this photo - is this how we will be remembered?
This is how "they" will be remembered. Doctors and nurses should be pissed off. I saw this picture and was upset. I totally sympathize with this man in scrubs; 100%. You are correct, this picture states a lot and should/will go down in history. "A picture's worth a thousand words". Right now, this is what's wrong with America. We should ALL be on the same side. I hope we can get there soon.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
This is how "they" will be remembered. Doctors and nurses should be pissed off. I saw this picture and was upset. I totally sympathize with this man in scrubs; 100%. You are correct, this picture states a lot and should/will go down in history. "A picture's worth a thousand words". Right now, this is what's wrong with America. We should ALL be on the same side. I hope we can get there soon.
Yeah "they" lol sorry it wasn't directed at you. Sometimes I just get on ranting.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I've found it to be the opposite. A lot of older people here in NYC were like "f*** that, i've lived through a lot in my life. This virus is a joke." but as time went on, everyone knows someone that has died from this. Now they're all walking around with masks, face shields, and gloves. And now 99% of the people here in the tri-state area are adhering to the guidelines. Just to put it into perspective, in 9/11 almost 3,000 people died and everyone knew someone or a friend/family of someone that either died or was impacted by the event. The coronavirus deaths here are over 11,000. Everyone knows someone that has died. Last week I broke the news to my mom that someone had died and I had to comfort her while she was crying and saying "when is this going to stop?!?" Then yesterday I received news that a friend of a friend, 32 years old, has passed away after intubation for 2 weeks. Everyday on facebook it's someones grandma, uncle, friend etc.
Would you say they lack common sense, wisdom or a little of both?

I believe a lot of people were lead down a different path and could not see the forest thru the trees. People suffer from tunnel vision. We need to see and understand the bigger picture. Many people only care about themselves and immediate family. "What can you do for me" mentality. Unfortunately, I feel this thought pattern and behavior is being fueled and not distinguished. These are truly sad times we live in. This virus is illustrating this in full color.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Yeah "they" lol sorry it wasn't directed at you. Sometimes I just get on ranting.
No apology necessary. "They" I meant as those fighting the cure.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Those images are moving for sure. What would be even more interesting is have them interview the two of them together to hear their stories.

Why did she spend time to make a poster that says "Land of the Free" and then drive to downtown Denver to display it?
Can she no longer afford payments on her RAM1500?
Is her small business going under after years of hard work?
I doubt she was just bored. There has to be a back story.....or....

1587500609900.png

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Those images are moving for sure. What would be even more interesting is have them interview the two of them together to hear their stories.

Why did she spend time to make a poster that says "Land of the Free" and then drive to downtown Denver to display it?
Can she no longer afford payments on her RAM1500?
Is her small business going under after years of hard work?
I doubt she was just bored. There has to be a back story.....or....

View attachment 116510
I'm going to take a quote right from the story:

" I was at the right place at the right time. One thing I remember is the lady in the truck was yelling at the health worker to 'go back to China.' "

That's all I needed to read to know where this lady comes from. Soon as I hear that I've categorized them as someone unreasonable and unfit for modern society and I don't care what her opinion is.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
It is painful to watch these nurses and doctors watch patients die. These patients are all alone when they pass. Absolutely breaks my heart to hear this. I don't know nor understand how you do not get affected by all this. Our medical staff are super human and ARE going to need OUR help when this is over. Heck, they need our help now. They must be physically AND mentally exhausted. Adrenalin and the love of their job must keep them going. I hope and pray they have the support they need when they go home so they can get up and do it again. This, IMO, makes them super human.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Major WHO / NIH / Gates Foundation hack and info dump online: https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/04/21/nearly-25000-email-addresses-passwords-allegedly-nih-who-gates-foundation-are-dumped-online/&ved=2ahUKEwjloqnvifvoAhXYF80KHfrmBI8QFjAAegQIBxAC&usg=AOvVaw2_1W1BEtVhcPgYaPiWg4Ew
(May be behind a paywall)

Some very wild conspiracy theories being flogged by dark web types. Will not repeat here, the various rumors are just that at this point: rumors. But the hack is very interesting.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Major WHO / NIH / Gates Foundation hack and info dump online: https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/04/21/nearly-25000-email-addresses-passwords-allegedly-nih-who-gates-foundation-are-dumped-online/&ved=2ahUKEwjloqnvifvoAhXYF80KHfrmBI8QFjAAegQIBxAC&usg=AOvVaw2_1W1BEtVhcPgYaPiWg4Ew
(May be behind a paywall)

Some very wild conspiracy theories being flogged by dark web types. Will not repeat here, the various rumors are just that at this point: rumors. But the hack is very interesting.
"The hack is very interesting"?

As far as I'm concerned hackers are simply cyber terrorists and should be treated as such. I'd be just fine with drone striking the assholes! Hacking the world's major healthcare organizations? Seriously? God forbid the Gates foundation was successful at eliminating Polio or Maleria!

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As far as I'm concerned hackers are simply cyber terrorists and should be treated as such. I'd be just fine with drone striking the assholes!
Absolutely right - even though they do keep my son gainfully employed with one of the major firms keeping an eye on these lunatics. (Keeping an eye on is the best I can say since there's an endless supply of criminals or clowns with tin foil hats on too tight. Even with a tactical strike we'll never be rid of them.) I always wonder what the world would look like if they'd switch to white hats at least... Never happen.

That said, at least part of the article made me laugh:
“Their password security is appalling,” Potter said of the WHO. “Forty-eight people have ‘password’ as their password.” Others, he said, had used their own first names or “changeme.”
Seriously? Yeah, I bet most of those are probably underlings, secretary to the secretary for the guy who parks cars for the WHO that seldom use their email accounts (ok, maybe I'm being hopeful...!) but then OTOH, they got the *secure* passwords too...

Gene pool needs more chlorine...

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Absolutely right - even though they do keep my son gainfully employed with one of the major firms keeping an eye on these lunatics. (Keeping an eye on is the best I can say since there's an endless supply of criminals or clowns with tin foil hats on too tight. Even with a tactical strike we'll never be rid of them.) I always wonder what the world would look like if they'd switch to white hats at least... Never happen.

That said, at least part of the article made me laugh:
“Their password security is appalling,” Potter said of the WHO. “Forty-eight people have ‘password’ as their password.” Others, he said, had used their own first names or “changeme.”
Seriously? Yeah, I bet most of those are probably underlings, secretary to the secretary for the guy who parks cars for the WHO that seldom use their email accounts (ok, maybe I'm being hopeful...!) but then OTOH, they got the *secure* passwords too...

Gene pool needs more chlorine...
I also wonder if they just published a list of accounts and just made up passwords to make it seem like they'd actually penetrated them. Haven't seen any evidence they got into those accounts (like emails being published).

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Seriously? Yeah, I bet most of those are probably underlings, secretary to the secretary for the guy who parks cars for the WHO that seldom use their email accounts
Actually, I doubt it. The "higher ups" in most organizations are usually worse than anyone because they see cyber security as "someone else's problem" and don't feel the need to waste perfectly good brain-power for the 5 minutes every couple months it takes to develop a strong password.

"I'm an important person the World Health Organization. I don't have time to fool with passwords!"

IaiptWH0.Idhttfwp!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ First letter from each word of the above sentence. Includes punctuation. "O" changed to a "0" (zero) to give you a numeric character

There. That's how simple it is to develop a secure password. 18 characters with complexity. Eliminate the double-t if your password policy prohibits it and it's still 17 characters. (I've been known to "overshoot" my character allotment - but then again, I'm a "talker")

With the currently available technology, it would take longer than 90 days (a common password expire policy) to crack the hash. (At least for 99% of people trying to do this.)

After 90 days that same person might use this one: "Well, that was a close one. Everyone on earth almost died. Good thing we discovered a vaccine!" (Wtwac0.Eoead.Gtwdav!)

Applying some dark humor but you get the idea. DON'T just add a number to the end. (We all used to do it. Don't feel too bad about Yamaha04 - but for the love of Pete change it).

Keep the phrase topical and personal so it's easy to remember. The first few times you use it, you may "say" the phrase in different ways, so make sure you have a way to clearly remember it.

I further suggest keeping it positive for your own mental-health. You don't need to keep reminding yourself of the dummy that hit your boat or the accident your grandmother was in.

Cybersecurity Tip-O-The-Day in these troubled times.

Edit: Oh, and don't reuse the same password anywhere. You'll only be secure as the least secure account you sign in to. Get a password manager like Keepass2 and learn to love it.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
"The hack is very interesting"?

As far as I'm concerned hackers are simply cyber terrorists and should be treated as such. I'd be just fine with drone striking the assholes! Hacking the world's major healthcare organizations? Seriously? God forbid the Gates foundation was successful at eliminating Polio or Maleria!
Yes, "interesting." I did not say it was good, I did not endorse it. I do not support hacking of any type. I did not express any negative views toward any of the hack victims. Etc.

But it is very interesting. Why would hackers target these orgs? Why would their infosec be so poor, given what they do and the info that is on their servers, etc.? Were the hackers just criminals or were they state actors? If state actors, what was their agenda? What can be learned from all of the above and other, similar questions?

Also interesting is the recently publicized LinkedIn hack that, apparently, happened in 2012 but was greatly downplayed by LinkedIn ("< 10 million affected accounts") until that was proven to be orders of magnitude lower than the true extent ("165 to 167 million accounts") In 2016. It recently was publicized again after various criminals bought usernames and associated passwords + email addresses from the hackers on the dark web and began trying to extort / blackmail / otherwise criminally use that information. I was reminded about it last week when I got a bunch of "send us bitcoin or we will do (insert horrible action)" emails. I am quite interested in why LinkedIn understated the breech in the first place. It is very interesting that they (apparently) sat on this info for about four years... four years where I could have been using the same password and username combos on my Amazon, healthcare, investment accounts (I did not, but I bet many did).

Yes, this hack is very interesting.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Get a password manager like Keepass2 and learn to love it.
This is something I keep meaning to look into....is Keepass2 what you recommend? Its high time I use a manager.

The other tip....wherever you can, use 2 factor authentication - but absolutely on all financial accounts.

ctyke

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is something I keep meaning to look into....is Keepass2 what you recommend? Its high time I use a manager.

The other tip....wherever you can, use 2 factor authentication - but absolutely on all financial accounts.
We use lastpass family, my wife and I can share passwords to joint sites, energy, gas, cable. It works/syncs across all devices, some people stay away because of that (stored in the cloud). Every website has a different password, prevents password stuffing. As stated, finacial sites should have different passwords, 2nd factor if available, and alert on every transaction (I get a text for every credit card and bank transaction). I also use credit monitoring. I really care about my identity and cash, so those are protected as much as I can.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The Chinese have been suppressing the data, and fudgeing their figures, pretty bad. Perhaps criminal.

If true, is this a fundamentally different behaviour? Or similar?

--

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

I love Keepass2. The auto-type can be finicky sometimes but you can have a "default" auto-type (that works for most) and then customize the auto-type on each individual entry.

You can even set it up to do a combo of cut/paste and keystrokes so that a clipboard swipe or keystroke capture alone can't get your password.

It took me a while to actually get started with it (my buddy bugged me about it for over a year), but once I did I made the commitment and put EVERYTHING in there with unique, complex passwords. After about 2 weeks I was "in the rhythm" and have been very happy with it ever since.

Do I occasionally get "caught short" because the password to an account isn't simple to remember and I don't have immediate access to my Keepass2 file? Yes, it's happened once in a while but I've never regretted it.

As @ctyke mentioned Lastpass is another option I've heard good things about. No personal experience though.

Agree that Multi-Factor is always the way to go when you can. Everyone should be aware that this is NOT bulletproof though. A little tech-savy and a little social-engineering can break it if you're specifically targeted.

Good security is never going to be convenient. You've got to educate yourself and work at it.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
The Chinese have been suppressing the data, and fudgeing their figures, pretty bad. Perhaps criminal.

If true, is this a fundamentally different behaviour? Or similar?

--
Agree! Dr. Bright was pushed out because he is not a puppet. He has worked, waited and prepared for a crisis like this, a job he was paid to do, only to be told to shut up and sit down. And for what!!! Like I keep saying, very sad and divided times we live in. I've never seen so much incompetency and division in our country as in the last 4-5 years. Can't wait for this nightmare/stupidity/ineptness to be over (whenever the hell that'll be!) You can't fix stupid.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, "interesting." I did not say it was good, I did not endorse it. I do not support hacking of any type. I did not express any negative views toward any of the hack victims. Etc.

But it is very interesting. Why would hackers target these orgs? Why would their infosec be so poor, given what they do and the info that is on their servers, etc.? Were the hackers just criminals or were they state actors? If state actors, what was their agenda? What can be learned from all of the above and other, similar questions?

Also interesting is the recently publicized LinkedIn hack that, apparently, happened in 2012 but was greatly downplayed by LinkedIn ("< 10 million affected accounts") until that was proven to be orders of magnitude lower than the true extent ("165 to 167 million accounts") In 2016. It recently was publicized again after various criminals bought usernames and associated passwords + email addresses from the hackers on the dark web and began trying to extort / blackmail / otherwise criminally use that information. I was reminded about it last week when I got a bunch of "send us bitcoin or we will do (insert horrible action)" emails. I am quite interested in why LinkedIn understated the breech in the first place. It is very interesting that they (apparently) sat on this info for about four years... four years where I could have been using the same password and username combos on my Amazon, healthcare, investment accounts (I did not, but I bet many did).

Yes, this hack is very interesting.
Update, very interesting Daily Dot writeup on this large-scale, coordinated hack: Why the Gates Foundation, WHO were hacked at the same time

tl;dr
Author of article speculates that only a state player could pull this off in the given time frame and only Russia would have ability and motive to pull this off

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Update, very interesting Daily Dot writeup on this large-scale, coordinated hack: Why the Gates Foundation, WHO were hacked at the same time

tl;dr
Author of article speculates that only a state player could pull this off in the given time frame and only Russia would have ability and motive to pull this off
That is depressing. If you realize some of the top, most competitive US scientists get funding from the foundation... which means top notch proposals uploaded there all the time for confidential peer review and funding consideration.
[deleted]
But, we can produce innovative solutions faster than those people can steal them.
This whole corona virus nightmare, too, shall pass.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.