• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Whelp, our company which is the title sponsor of the convention in Houston at the end of the month just announced we are pulling out of the convention in an effort to minimize exposure to the employees and customers. We have also cancelled all the plant tours we had scheduled with customers for the months of March and April. The train is about to come to a screeching halt.....

Renod

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Was flying back from a Utah ski trip a few days ago. In the past I have been surprised by the % of guys who do NOT wash their hands after using the restroom. I was pleasantly surprised by the line of people waiting at the sinks!

Of course there was one guy who walked up between me and the guy at the sink next to me, checked his hair and teeth in the mirror... and then headed out the door... :rolleyes:

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Impossible to say what the mortality rate truly is until you know how many people are actually infected. Can’t do that unless you are widely testing, which we aren’t. While you are correct about the mortality being greatest in the elderly and sick (as is the case with many diseases) to underestimate the impact would be foolish. This is a new virus that has the potential to impact at least as many people as the flu (please everyone look up how many US citizens are hospitalized and how many die EVERY year from the flu). We all need to do our part to minimize the spread. Yes, people hoarding sanitizer/masks/toilet paper/etc are idiots and causing far more problems than they are solving. Yes it’s serious, yes, we should all be worried for our parents and elderly friends and families.
this ^^^

The notion that its either a political hoax by the media or nothing to worry about, because its "just like the flu" is equally dangerous to widespread panic and consumerism driven by clickbait.

Stay in the middle. Be concerned, and careful. Im Not worried about dying, imagine doubling the flu. Lots of hospital beds and resources will be taken up by this, and cause problems

I am concerned economically. Airlines are going to be hit HARD. Friend just flew back from the UK. Only 40 people on the whole plane. One lady had a plastic sheet around her with a mask. lol

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I should clarify... ALL transit/travel will be hurting..... my wife got hit with a bunch of carnival cruise offers. like ridiculously low.... $50/day or something per person and free drinks.. I just shook my head "don't even think about it" LOL

We've enjoyed a couple cruises but its something that made me feel sorta bad about humanity... didn't want to anyways.

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Heard a good point yesterday regarding the hoarders, I'll try to paraphrase best I can.

Toilet paper and hand sanitizer works best if everyone has some. If you have ALL the toilet paper and ALL the hand sanitizer, think about how dirty everyone else's hands are now.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Heard a good point yesterday regarding the hoarders, I'll try to paraphrase best I can.

Toilet paper and hand sanitizer works best if everyone has some. If you have ALL the toilet paper and ALL the hand sanitizer, think about how dirty everyone else's hands are now.
100% sir.

internet high five for you.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
100% sir.

internet high five for you.
You should probably just stick to a wave or maybe an elbow bump or something.

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not to be insensitive to those having a difficult time but the price of oil is at a record low and I am dollar cost averaging my bonds into the stock market!

lemons to lemonade, baby! (with vodka!)

Image result for lemons to lemonade gif

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Did the foot tap greeting in India last week quite a bit...was amusing and fun!

Yes, the planes were very often pretty empty (although flights out of India were full). Flight from London to PHL was 30% full....was on the upper deck of a 747 and there were perhaps 8 people up there with me....only 3 more years that BA will have the 747s flying....

Hike

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In Wuhan China, the epicenter of the outbreak, 79,000 cases developed in a population of 11 million people. That's an infection rate of 0.7% (99.93% of the people were not effected). China reported that of those cases 81% were mild.

I think the Covid-19 fear factor is being played up unnecessarily.
In 2019 16,000 people died of the flu.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
In Wuhan China, the epicenter of the outbreak, 79,000 cases developed in a population of 11 million people. That's an infection rate of 0.7% (99.93% of the people were not effected). China reported that of those cases 81% were mild.

I think the Covid-19 fear factor is being played up unnecessarily.
In 2019 16,000 people died of the flu.
Keep in mind that in Wuhan they implemented complete quarantine rules. You stay at home and aren't allowed out! And this wasn't just for Wuhan, they put 500 MILLION people under one level or another of quarantine!!!! Think about that!

Feb 27th-"In Hubei province, the epicentre of the coronavirus outbreak, at least 56 million people remain under strict instruction to remain inside their residential communities and villages. At one point, around 500 million people were said to be affected by movement restrictions to contain the virus. "​
WHO has the mortality rate at 3.4% Coronavirus Mortality Rate (COVID-19) - Worldometer

I have no reason to doubt the WHO. If the same number of people contract Corona as the Flu (2018-2019 CDC #=35.5M) in the US that would mean 1.2M deaths. Additionally, there simply wouldn't be enough respirators to put people on, so the death toll would actually climb along with the infection rate. That is what we are trying to avoid, and hope to heck doesn't happen.

Should we panic......no. But we do need to keep a very close eye on this. China clearly felt that it was dangerous enough to take some extreme measures. The conspiracy theorists are saying it is an escaped weapon from the Wuhan Biological Research Center. Regardless.... WASH YOUR HANDS OFTEN.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My daughter is in her second year at UW Madison. Their spring break is next week. Yesterday they were notified to be prepared to finish the semester remotely as the residence halls may not be reopened after spring break.

As was mentioned earlier, trying to stay in the middle between panic and "ho hum" is the way to go.

I sometimes hear folks that lived through "Y2K" talk about how it turned out to be a "big nothing" and everyone got all worked up "for no reason." What they don't realize is that the reason it was a "big nothing" is that engineers and computer science people around the planted busted our a--es to make sure it was a "big nothing" - and in some cases we were a little worried about whether or not our "fix" was going to work. (The industrial control systems that keep the lights, water, and gas going all had the potential to fail and all had to be touched- if only to make sure they wouldn't "brick" when the clock hit midnight.)

I guess what I'm saying is, in spite of our suspicions, we're going to have to put some trust in our healthcare authorities. Like that young Controls Engineer back in December of 1999, they just might be working really hard to make sure we all say "Remember that time they scared us half to death with that Corona Virus thing? What a joke."

In the meantime, let's hope Charmin and Cottonelle can get their production ramped up to meet demand.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm just curious how many of these dust masks and how much of the hand sanitizers are made in China. Fits the definition of irony, I believe.

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Things are starting to hit California hard. A lot of universities in the state have stoped on campus classes. The high school district I work for just canceled all offsite activities for students and staff. Rumor is all on campus non academic events will be stoped by mid next week with schools possibly closing.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks. Kind of weird when things start to effect your work...

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Wow. NCAA tourney... no fans permitted. Of course the year UD is ranked 3! Wonder if they will pump in fan noise through the PA system... Will be interesting g to watch for sure. Just think of the economic loss for all those city’s. Guess as long as the bars don’t close up shop...

Status
Not open for further replies.