• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troch1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Down and left but amazingly still in the no/minimal bias zone. I don’t give two craps what you chose to read and believe. l’d Just hope you were smart enough not to trust everything you read and attempt to get all sides of a story before defaming anyone or any organization.

Facts are facts because they are real, repeatable and proven, not just because POTUS says it or because a bunch of figureheads spout it over and over. We all have a civic duty to inform ourselves of all points of view and understand how to relate to our fellow man, whether or not we agree initially. I like to think even old dogs can learn new tricks.

Looks like this post didn't age too well at all. Could you please see that NPR is moved down and to the left on your chart below? For a 50% government funded news outlet they sure seem to be politically selective in the news they report. Many would ask why they receive any public funding in the first place.

In full disclosure dailycaller.com definitly leans right but the news on NPR Seattle's decision is easy to find.

View attachment 114485

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The good news is coming, not fast enough to help right away at least not this time, but hopefully before the next event...

This group (cited/linked paper above) has been studying the Middle East MERS coronavirus, a cousin of SARS and SARS-CoV-2 for quite a while providing some basic findings on how those things work (infect people). Basically, long and short: they figured out the attachment and entry receptors - providing a structural framework to explain how MERS-CoV attaches to those receptors for entry into human airway epithelial cells.

That identifies a site(s) of potential vulnerability to inhibitors of viral entry – such as the monoclonal antibody (Read: biological drug) described in the paper – in the first link above.

The good news is - some of us maybe already producing those antibodies upon exposure, as a part of own natural immune response – same as if we were vaccinated. Now, figuring out who does and who does not make those things is doable but not trivial, but with sufficient funding could be turned into a routine testing. I have been working on these things for about 30 years now in the context of cancer not infectious disease, we used to be ignored for the most part, lol - this will likely change. We actually already have amazing (NGS based, next generation sequencing) tests detecting specific sequences “encoding” those structures (parts of "antibodies), we currently use those as markers of clonaly expanded cells in blood cancers (Read: leukemia/lymphoma), this can be quickly adapted to detect antibodies’ (CDR3 regions) sequence signatures that mark those cross-reactive neutralizing (anti-viral) antibodies (such as the one in the first link above). Personally, I will continue working on cancer diagnostics rather than viral infections but the cross-talk with infectious diseases will be very useful for both sides.

Hope that makes sense. It won’t happen overnight, but hopefully soon enough for the next phase of this one or before the next pandemic hits.

--

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Welp, my week in the office is over. I'm supposed to be in the office again next week but I have a high suspicion index that I will be called back to the ICU at some point. Stay safe lads

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The good news is coming, not fast enough to help right away at least not this time, but hopefully before the next event...

This group (cited/linked paper above) has been studying the Middle East MERS coronavirus, a cousin of SARS and SARS-CoV-2 for quite a while providing some basic findings on how those things work (infect people). Basically, long and short: they figured out the attachment and entry receptors - providing a structural framework to explain how MERS-CoV attaches to those receptors for entry into human airway epithelial cells.

That identifies a site(s) of potential vulnerability to inhibitors of viral entry – such as the monoclonal antibody (Read: biological drug) described in the paper – in the first link above.

The good news is - some of us maybe already producing those antibodies upon exposure, as a part of own natural immune response – same as if we were vaccinated. Now, figuring out who does and who does not make those things is doable but not trivial, but with sufficient funding could be turned into a routine testing. I have been working on these things for about 30 years now in the context of cancer not infectious disease, we used to be ignored for the most part, lol - this will likely change. We actually already have amazing (NGS based, next generation sequencing) tests detecting specific sequences “encoding” those structures (parts of "antibodies), we currently use those as markers of clonaly expanded cells in blood cancers (Read: leukemia/lymphoma), this can be quickly adapted to detect antibodies’ (CDR3 regions) sequence signatures that mark those cross-reactive neutralizing (anti-viral) antibodies (such as the one in the first link above). Personally, I will continue working on cancer diagnostics rather than viral infections but the cross-talk with infectious diseases will be very useful for both sides.

Hope that makes sense. It won’t happen overnight, but hopefully soon enough for the next phase of this one or before the next pandemic hits.

--
Darn dude! You got some inside connections. Thanks for the paper. Will read it ASAP.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is take out safe to eat? I've heard the virus can't live on food and that if you practice safe handling of the packaging, dispose, wash hands, the food is okay to eat. Anybody know? We are on day 12 of self isolation and the dispair in my wife's eyes as she slowly turned the can opener on the green beans last night was depressing! She, just looked up at me and said, I can't wait to eat some good Tex-Mex.....

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
NYC is putting out safe sex guidelines during this time and rim jobs aren't safe. Stay safe all.

View attachment 114499
So the take away is that putting mouth to genitals is ok, just don't kiss on the mouth or, ahem, "back porch". Sex workers should "work from home" via sexting or Skype. Or you can always pound one out solo.

Truth seems to be stranger than fiction these days boys. Surely this is a sign....

EDIT:
Somebody had to sit and write that out...wonder what that person's salary is?

Looper7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So the take away is that putting mouth to genitals is ok, just don't kiss on the mouth or, ahem, "back porch". Sex workers should "work from home" via sexting or Skype. Or you can always pound one out solo.

Truth seems to be stranger than fiction these days boys. Surely this is a sign....

EDIT:
Somebody had to sit and write that out...wonder what that person's salary is?
She works for "tips"

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Darn dude! You got some inside connections. Thanks for the paper. Will read it ASAP.
The concept of course is quite ancient - the same principle as using antiserum for venom, or rabies - post exposure prophylaxis.

The trick is to identify the so called "broadly cross-reactive" neutralizing antibodies (immunoglobulins, Igs) and produce recombinant protein therapeutics by splicing some parts on top of humanized Ig framework - for use in patients.
Distinct from that, the key parts of the viral entry apparatus protein can be used to make a vaccine - with the SARS-CoV-2 it's actually less complicated than flu due to influenza strains.

This is not difficult, conceptually. It just needs to be done, so I guess all comes back to decisions on very high level on what do we want to fund, or - how are we spending our taxes.

--

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The concept of course is quite ancient - the same principle as using antiserum for venom, or rabies - post exposure prophylaxis.

The trick is to identify the so called "broadly cross-reactive" neutralizing antibodies (immunoglobulins, Igs) and produce recombinant protein therapeutics by splicing some parts on top of humanized Ig framework - for use in patients.
Distinct from that, the key parts of the viral entry apparatus protein can be used to make a vaccine - with the SARS-CoV-2 it's actually less complicated than flu due to influenza strains.

This is not difficult, conceptually. It just needs to be done, so I guess all comes back to decisions on very high level on what do we want to fund, or - how are we spending our taxes.

--
Not mentioned, it's a stupidly expensive process and product.

Signed, immuno-oncology guy

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length

$$ shouldn't even be a factor when it comes to human life. Insane states have to compete to buy "stuff" to save lives. Why does it have to be that way? Should we look to the top maybe?

Last edited:

Patriot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Down and left but amazingly still in the no/minimal bias zone. I don’t give two craps what you chose to read and believe. l’d Just hope you were smart enough not to trust everything you read and attempt to get all sides of a story before defaming anyone or any organization.

Facts are facts because they are real, repeatable and proven, not just because POTUS says it or because a bunch of figureheads spout it over and over. We all have a civic duty to inform ourselves of all points of view and understand how to relate to our fellow man, whether or not we agree initially. I like to think even old dogs can learn new tricks.
Lighten up Francis. You're TDS is acting up again.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welp.....Just got the word I'm to take my desktop home with me. Entire office is headed home for min 2 weeks working from home. I suspect it will be longer. We'll see.

This is making some professional plans for me somewhat more difficult than they need to be.

Signed a deal in mid February to work for a new company (moving back to Aerospace/defense contracting) starting May 4th. Was hoping to give the boss a months notice where I'm at so they can transition my role to someone else without major delays. That is NOT a conversation I want to make over the phone from home. Not sure how I'm going to handle it just yet. Still have 3 weeks for my "two week notice" deadline, but was hoping to say something sooner. Might just end up being an akward phone call, and a return of my stuff to my office at some point.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Welp.....Just got the word I'm to take my desktop home with me. Entire office is headed home for min 2 weeks working from home. I suspect it will be longer. We'll see.

This is making some professional plans for me somewhat more difficult than they need to be.

Signed a deal in mid February to work for a new company (moving back to Aerospace/defense contracting) starting May 4th. Was hoping to give the boss a months notice where I'm at so they can transition my role to someone else without major delays. That is NOT a conversation I want to make over the phone from home. Not sure how I'm going to handle it just yet. Still have 3 weeks for my "two week notice" deadline, but was hoping to say something sooner. Might just end up being an akward phone call, and a return of my stuff to my office at some point.
I'd be calling the new company to be certain their offer still stands!

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Chinese
Why the hell did we name this thing COVID-19. We're all dealing with this crap in 2020, can we not just change the name to COVID-20??? I can see it now when I'm 80 years old and trying to tell this story to my grandkids and I'm confused as hell if this happened in 2019 or 2020 cause the freakin name!
Chinese originated viral infectious disease number 19 = COVID-19
Remember don’t believe everything you read especially the above line.

Troch1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Well researched and highly thoughtful comeback. When the adult re-enters the room, feel free to post an intelligent response.
Lighten up Francis. You're TDS is acting up again.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Yes and no. Depends if you are talking about price or cost.

As you know, it is similar to various new cell therapy approaches - ridiculously priced products wherein a relationship between price and cost is, basically, dispensed. Sadly, no doubt. I guess this will need to be reigned in to make it viable for the long run - market forces made those things run amok. Along with many orphan drugs etc but that's for another day.

In the meantime, here is a much cheaper alternative to recombinant therapeutic COVID abs: simple plasma transfers.

Anyone who has had the virus and cleared it may consider donating (much needed) blood - for production of protective/therapeutic plasma injections. Tried and true in other infectious diseases, certainly underutilized in recent decades.

--

Last edited:

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’ve been on and off following this thread, and figured I’d try to lighten the mood slightly. I’ve been playing this song quite a bit the last couple days, and thought maybe some of the rest you could use something to smile about. It sure works for me... 😁

Mat Best “Quarantine”

Status
Not open for further replies.