• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctyke

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Our governor held a press conference today. I really hope he was oversating the numbers, but this is what the U of MN and Dept of Health are projecting based on other countries infection rates. We are to go to a shelter in place for 2 weeks starting Friday, this is to give the system time to prepare for the wave of patients. The peak will be in 14 weeks. With an estimate of 2 Million people infected in MN (out of 5.6M), 60,000 needing hospitalization and 2,000 needing ICU beds (we have 235 beds in the state today). They are talking about converting some of our stadiums into places to treat people. They are working with MN companies to gain the supplies needed to absorb this influx. He also said, we can't shelter in place forever, because the virus will not go away and sheltering in place for 5 months is not an option, we will have no money left to treat people. It was probably the most sobering press conference I've seen. Dampens my excitement for my new boat for sure.

signal-2020-03-25-150008.jpeg

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So Vermont is under a "stay at Home" order as of 5pm yesterday. Here is a list of essential services. My farming practices are excluded, Water transportation is not. Although "support activities for water transportation" are deemed critical. I think I found the loop hole I need to work on the Beneteau. ;) Will need to get my Captains license and charter Sunset cruises to be considered a business though.

Screenshot_20200326-074200_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20200326-074211_Drive.jpg

20200326_074650.jpg

Screenshot_20200326-074234_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20200326-074245_Drive.jpg

Edit: They just announced two confirmed cases in my home town, one in hospital.

Last edited:

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You don't need to watch Cuomo's news conferences. I'll sum it up here: NYC is in trouble. They are converting convention centers to hospitals and the numbers are skyrocketing. The nurses and doctors are overwhelmed trying to save lives. They're calling people out of retirement. My friend's wife in Florida is getting calls to come up to NYC to help fight this thing.

Here's the strategy that they've been saying (as sugar coated as they tell it, i'm going to tell it without the coating):

We're all going to get it and us poorer people are going back to work soon. But we're going to promote social distancing to flatten the curve and allow our medical system to catch up.

Wealthy people are leaving NYC because they know the reality of what is going to happen. They're being told to self-quarantine for 14 days when they arrive in Florida.

How did we get here?
This will go down in history as the largest fail of this century. Disinformation campaigns, politicians playing down the severity, china not informing the world sooner, and stupid people will be the cause. I bet that your kid's kids will be reading about this in their school textbooks as one of those events in history that we should learn from. And they'll wonder "why was our ancestors so stupid?"

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
china not informing the world sooner,
China notified the WHO on December 31st. That fact alone set of klaxons worldwide-when China admits they have a virus, it means shit is out of hand! I find it amusing that people are blaming China for our failure to react. China ALWAYS trys to minimize these outbreaks. But when we saw China quarantining 500 Million people, that was the clear message that the shit was hitting the proverbial fan! Didn't take a rocket scientist to deduce how deadly it was then. Sure, could China become a democracy and release bad news faster...yes. But don't hold your breath! Our reaction to their announcement was slow and painful....and still is. We still don't have federal guidance to the states to uniformly shelter in place. States are still on their own for planning and response. We are waging war one state, and even one county at a time! Nuts.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Our governor held a press conference today. I really hope he was oversating the numbers, but this is what the U of MN and Dept of Health are projecting based on other countries infection rates. We are to go to a shelter in place for 2 weeks starting Friday, this is to give the system time to prepare for the wave of patients. The peak will be in 14 weeks. With an estimate of 2 Million people infected in MN (out of 5.6M), 60,000 needing hospitalization and 2,000 needing ICU beds (we have 235 beds in the state today). They are talking about converting some of our stadiums into places to treat people. They are working with MN companies to gain the supplies needed to absorb this influx. He also said, we can't shelter in place forever, because the virus will not go away and sheltering in place for 5 months is not an option, we will have no money left to treat people. It was probably the most sobering press conference I've seen. Dampens my excitement for my new boat for sure.

View attachment 114396
Do you have a link for that, I'd like to share!

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
So Vermont is under a "stay at Home" order as of 5pm yesterday. Here is a list of essential services. My farming practices are excluded, Water transportation is not. Although "support activities for water transportation" are deemed critical. I think I found the loop hole I need to work on the Beneteau. ;) Will need to get my Captains license and charter Sunset cruises to be considered a business though.

View attachment 114407

View attachment 114408

View attachment 114409

View attachment 114410

View attachment 114411

Edit: They just announced two confirmed cases in my home town, one in hospital.
Wish WI would have done the same. They basically gave everyone a big loophole, and we're all taking advantage of it. Nothing has changed (except the rise in cases near us.)

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
China notified the WHO on December 31st. That fact alone set of klaxons worldwide-when China admits they have a virus, it means shit is out of hand! I find it amusing that people are blaming China for our failure to react. China ALWAYS trys to minimize these outbreaks. But when we saw China quarantining 500 Million people, that was the clear message that the shit was hitting the proverbial fan! Didn't take a rocket scientist to deduce how deadly it was then. Sure, could China become a democracy and release bad news faster...yes. But don't hold your breath! Our reaction to their announcement was slow and painful....and still is. We still don't have federal guidance to the states to uniformly shelter in place. States are still on their own for planning and response. We are waging war one state, and even one county at a time! Nuts.
That is exactly what I told anyone that would listen! China will do nearly anything to save face - so when i saw them putting dump trucks of dirt over roads to prevent movement and not giving AF about who knew about it, that means that they were already in a world of pain.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The ridiculousness of Washington DC is exactly why I want them involved as little as possible in my health care or decisions about my daily life,

states and counties could have at anytime looked at what so many say they clearly saw and enacted "stay at home" orders and chose not to, aren't they more to blame the federal govt ? we've seen state and local govt thumb their nose with "sanctuary" statutes so whose to even say a federal directive would be worth anything,

if you want to armchair quarterback this, there's plenty of blame to go around, it's not just POTUS this has been building for years under different administrations and congresses,

2 trillion and of course funding for the Kennedy center, congressional salaries, capital day care center, airline emissions, diversity, it's ridiculous that anyone in DC is talking about adding these things to a covid relief package but just like any other emergency funding it's the way it works,

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The U.S. debt to China is $1.07 trillion as of December 2019. Post Corona should leave China in debt to the us for 3 trillion or more . Wherever and however this originated it was on its way to effect the planet there was no stopping it once it started hopefully its over sooner than later. The red flag for me was watching 20 to 30 Excavators clearing an area for new hospitals

Patriot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you have a link for that, I'd like to share!
Be interesting to look back later this year at some of these 35 to 50% infection rate WAG’s (wild ass guesses). I have a pretty good feeling they aren’t going to age well.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The ridiculousness of Washington DC is exactly why I want them involved as little as possible in my health care or decisions about my daily life
Well, yes but... Also consider agencies such as the NIH, (National Institutes of Health) headquartered in DC, we wouldn't have modern medicine as we know it to speak of without their lead, the NIH has been DIRECTLY involved in pretty much every aspect of biomedical research over the last few decades, both basic and translational, working within its ridiculously low ~20something (?) billion budget.
We are truly blessed to have the NIH with all its resources. Hopefully their budget will be considered so we can be competitive in biomedical sciences around the globe, again.

--

Last edited:

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
What about the Chinese dr that let the cat out of the bag (which reported he died from COVID). And, then they silenced him. How does he fit into all this?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
What about the Chinese dr that let the cat out of the bag (which reported he died from COVID). And, then they silenced him. How does he fit into all this?
The WHO was notified before stories of his silencing began to surface. That sort of thing happens routinely in China, and will continue no matter what we do (poor bastards). What we need to be doing is carefully watching and listening to our intel from China, and their public disclosures and combine them to determine what "reality" is. But suffice to say, when they told the WHO they had a problem.....it should have been our alarm to know they had a big enough problem that they realized they couldn't keep a lid on it!

@Patriot I hope to heck the predictions of 30-50% are too high and we are successful at quashing it. Just because we are successful won't mean we over reacted, if any thing it will mean our approach worked. NYC is clearly a problem spot for social distancing....too many people, many of whom rely on public transportation.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I wouldn't trust any of China's numbers. No way their numbers are or were correct. China is NOT like the US were intel can just flow freely. That is not how it works in that part of the world. Can't trust their government at all. Instead I'd look at Intel and numbers from Europe as for trends of what we can expect or prepare for.

That being said and a small glimmer of hope....Italy is on their 4th day of slowing numbers. Hopefully they are past their peak. We will hit ours within the next few weeks you can bet. During that time I will not be following the news near as much as it would look very bleak and sad. I hope the summer heat will have an effect on this virus and combined with shelter in place, social distancing maybe our peak won't be as long as Italy's. Time will tell and just trying to look for light at the end of the tunnel or small nuggets of good news.

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, yes but... Also consider agencies such as the NIH, (National Institutes of Health) headquartered in DC, we wouldn't have modern medicine as we know it to speak of without their lead, the NIH has been DIRECTLY involved in pretty much every aspect of biomedical research over the last few decades, both basic and translational, working within its ridiculously low ~20something (?) billion budget.
We are truly blessed to have the NIH with all its resources. Hopefully their budget will be considered so we can be competitive in biomedical sciences around the globe, again.

--
I'm sorry I wasn't clearer, I was more pointing to socialized medicine and the "Affordable" Care Act that made my insurance go up 40% in 4 years,

I don't so much have a problem with NIH and CDC, I really believe we need some sort of Federal program working on research (private sector isn't going to do it unless profit is available) but I really don't understand programs like NIH researching gun violence, to me it's just another bad look at DC cash dump

I'm sure everybody has a line in the sand somewhere on how much they want the Fed's involved and your grey is a different shade than mine and that's ok, it's why we get to vote,

On another note,
I'm still having a hard time finding an answer I understand,
S. Korea has been able to test all these people;
Why couldn't the US??
In my simple mind I think, Call Korea, ask them for the test formula and then produce it just like they did ???
Did FDA/CDC/NIH not think the Korean test was good enough ?

And I was going to take the boat out today and the ramps are closed because the lake is 8ft high....

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
On another note,
I'm still having a hard time finding an answer I understand,
S. Korea has been able to test all these people;
Why couldn't the US??
In my simple mind I think, Call Korea, ask them for the test formula and then produce it just like they did ???
Did FDA/CDC/NIH not think the Korean test was good enough ?
This article sheds a little light on your questions:

Status
Not open for further replies.