• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Garmin 94 sv+ FSH 210 install and Transducer works great

JASmith

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hi All - Been following this thread, as I'll be installing a 94SV and Transducer this week on my 210 FSH. I was wondering if you had to remove the entire cleanout plug hatch to get access to run the cables through to the engine compartment? If so, did you just reseal with silicone once done?
Thanks for all the great info in this thread!
Nope, just the removable tray part was enough for my to run mine! it's about a 10 minute affair once you've got the cable through the hull, not too big of a deal. I followed a port side water line into the engine compartment, and around the port side engine where all the loom is, and right over the gas tank into the center console.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hi All - Been following this thread, as I'll be installing a 94SV and Transducer this week on my 210 FSH. I was wondering if you had to remove the entire cleanout plug hatch to get access to run the cables through to the engine compartment? If so, did you just reseal with silicone once done?
I remove the whole tray as it was going to be much easier to run the cable and screw the nuts on the back of the through hull fiiting with it out. Yes....I just put a bead of silicon around the edge once I put the tray back in.

motomandan

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
No you do not have to. But I would remove it and use White Butyl caulk to seal the entire hatch. seals great and easily removable.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I removed mine and just used silicone after but have been back in there so many other times now for other projects I put a weatherstripping seal on it instead.

Bribo475

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks all! I'm getting everything ready, but the weather here in new Orleans is terrible! I'm planning to drill either 7/8" or 1" hole through the transom to route the transducer cable. Did you use a hole saw, or do I need a regular drill bit. A 1" hole saw is about $5, and a 1"drill bit is about $35! I've never drilled into a boat before, so want to make sure I do it right and I'm not going back and fixing a bunch of dumb mistakes from not knowing better. Thanks for all your help to eveyone trought this post, it has really helped me!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bribo475 Watch the size of the hole you drill. I used the grommet thru-hull that came with my Garmin and I drilled a smaller hole not realizing that the inner part gets inserted through the hole. I then had to use my dremmel and open it up a bit. Just a mistake on my part, but once you drill the hole it is hard to make it bigger with another hole saw and I wouldn't try. Think it through and rill the correct size the first time :)

I actually use my hole saw kit, its a Spyder. Anyhow, a holes saw will be fine. You want to tape off the area and drill from the outside in. Use blue painters tape and cover the area you are about to drill, this helps with chipping. You want to start the hole by going backwards on the drill till you get through the top layer of gelcoat. Then you can go forward. You don't want to go to slow but not super fast and it will cut right through. Make absolutely sure where you are going through, the swim platform is right there so double check and triple check.

Bribo475

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks @HangOutdoors I've been reading all your posts on your install. Hope the finger is better! Yers, the install manual for the transducer says to use a 5/8 bit, but that is way too small for the flange on the Clamshell Garmin supplies. That's why I'm thinking 7/8" or even 1". Thanks for the advice, that's something I didn't think about, how easy it would be to hit the swim platform as you are going through. I hope this weather improves so I can get going on this! I'll be sure to take some pictures and post up as I go through the install.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bribo475 If you seen my install, that is why I went back through the top corner, right before it starts to curve, so I would miss the platform and still be on a flat surface for the seal with sealant. I could of went through the side above the keel toward the top next to the ladder but decided against it. I wanted something up higher, but others have done that with success. Personal choice I guess. Also I used Black sealant, since I have a dark blue boat and it worked out great. Made sure I did the inside as well, although I got the stuff over everything including a dog who came to visit.

Good Luck!

JASmith

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I've had really good luck drilling into the boat with a Step Bit. They are great for metals and plastics, including gelcoat and fiber. The holes are super clean, and you can use it to chamfer edges and enlarge them in small increments even.

They aren't cheap, but I bought a set of two that can create a huge range of hole sizes.

The kit I bought was: Milwaukee Black Oxide Step Drill Bit Set (10-Piece)-48-89-9222 - The Home Depot

I believe I was able to keep the hole 1 size smaller than Garmin specified because of how they work. I've found myself using these things all the time lately.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks all! I'm getting everything ready, but the weather here in new Orleans is terrible! I'm planning to drill either 7/8" or 1" hole through the transom to route the transducer cable. Did you use a hole saw, or do I need a regular drill bit. A 1" hole saw is about $5, and a 1"drill bit is about $35! I've never drilled into a boat before, so want to make sure I do it right and I'm not going back and fixing a bunch of dumb mistakes from not knowing better. Thanks for all your help to eveyone trought this post, it has really helped me!
I used a 1 inch hole saw for my transducer cable. It worked well but hole saws are not the most efficient drill bits.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks @HangOutdoors I've been reading all your posts on your install. Hope the finger is better! Yers, the install manual for the transducer says to use a 5/8 bit, but that is way too small for the flange on the Clamshell Garmin supplies. That's why I'm thinking 7/8" or even 1". Thanks for the advice, that's something I didn't think about, how easy it would be to hit the swim platform as you are going through. I hope this weather improves so I can get going on this! I'll be sure to take some pictures and post up as I go through the install.
Drill a hole in a piece of wood and test fit the clamshell. That is what I should of done. You don't want it too oversize. That way you will get it exactly what you need.

JASmith

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I used a 1 inch hole saw for my transducer cable. It worked well but hole saws are not the most efficient drill bits.
Also they aren't super accurate and tend to slightly overbore the hole

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Bribo475

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So I started on the install tonight. I’m trying to pull the clean out tray, but it’s not coming up. is there anything other than the screws holding it down? It’s loose all the way around, but does not want to come up, and I don’t want to break it. I think I can do it without taking it out, but seems like the previous owner had pulled and it’s not really sealed. I’d like to get it out and Recaulk it.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes on the clean out tubes as well as I believe a drain hole if yours has them.

Good time to clean out any crap in the bilge and check the other clamps back there and the straps everywhere you can reach.

Bribo475

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Got it all done! Actually finished up last week end, but haven't had a chance to post up some pictures. I haven't done a water test yet. Weather here is still not cooperating, and now we have a Tropical Storm brewing up. Only July 1, and we are on the E storm already. That's much too early!
Anyway, here are a few pics. I used the template that came with the unit to mount the transducer, but it looks a bit high. What do you think?

Attachments

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Tough to say on the height. It may be high. The only thing is that if you have side vu (scan) it is going to be impeded by the keel and rudder on the starboard side. I mounted mine off the ride plate low. Garmin recommends that it is no higher than 5 degrees from the lowest part of the boat. TBH I would of preferred mounting mine there, but I didn't want the interference.

You will need to see what kind of noise on the screen you get while running.

Judge

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
My new 2021 FSH210 has the transducer mounted on the port ride plate, because it was easy, convenient and I didn't want to drill a hole in the hull; then I realized I had to pass the cable thru the hull and drilled a 1/2" hole. Then I cut a giant 9" hole in the console for the display. The transducer location causes image noise, when port engine shift gate is in neutral or reverse, due to thruster blast around transducer. All forward thrust positions, from idle to wide open, produces a beautiful clear image. I can relocate the transducer elsewhere, but I really do not have a problem with the current performance. By the way, the Garmin Echomap UHD 94SV sonar/chartplotter features are really nice and the UHD display is beautiful.

View attachment 146656View attachment 146657View attachment 146658 These sonar/chartplotters have really come a long way in the last thirty years; the last one I had was a green hue 4" CRT screen.
-Uman
Looking to mount my GT56 Transducer in a similar location. Is your starboard sidescan working with the keel on that side of the transducer? I prefer to put there so the reverse jet wash doesn't try to push it down.