• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Go Pro for Bimini Trip

smthng

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Have you checked out the new Lily? I am seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on the pre-order...
Nice! I've seen a few things like that, but never one that's waterproof. I might have to jump on that... I've already crashed my Phantom 2, so I'm a bit gun-shy of taking it on the water.

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Plus, I need to learn how to edit video in final cut!...geez...where to find the time :(

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I found that the floaty back door does not work along with some of the attachments like the head strap or chest strap since the float gets in the way of the attachment. You may want the bobber handle and the floaty back door and use them interchangeably.
Biggest problem I noticed with the float back door is it doesnt float with most add on attached. The chest harness, head strap and handle will all take it down.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Plus, I need to learn how to edit video in final cut!...geez...where to find the time :(
Wait till you start editing then you will really wonder where do you find the time. To take an hours worth of video and edit it down to a 5 minute clip with music and text will take hours of you time heck just to upload and convert the original video can take hours of your time depending on a lot of factors.

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wait till you start editing then you will really wonder where do you find the time. To take an hours worth of video and edit it down to a 5 minute clip with music and text will take hours of you time heck just to upload and convert the original video can take hours of your time depending on a lot of factors.
Anyone ever said your not helping matters any ? :)

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone ever said your not helping matters any ? :)
Yes lol. Best advice that someone already mentioned earlier don't just turn the camera on and shoot for an hour. Shoot in short bursts 50 one minute clips is a lot easier to do the one 50 minute video. Every part of the process moves faster that way even though it seems like it wouldn't.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nice! I've seen a few things like that, but never one that's waterproof. I might have to jump on that... I've already crashed my Phantom 2, so I'm a bit gun-shy of taking it on the water.
I have a hard time getting excited about something that is not slated to ship until a year from now.

The fact that they produced a video like they have, with a unit that looks very close to production, and a spec sheet with full specs, but won't be ready for a year tells me one of three things:

1. This is a horribly run company with a nice dream that knows nothing of production and distribution
2. They have a really good animator who created a video with a well animated prototype that is nowhere near ready for production and built on dreams
3. They are trying to sell their idea to an established manufacturer existing in the drone market, or trying to tap into the drone market.

Either way, I think I can sink two phantoms in the meantime waiting for lilly. Heck, DJI will probably have the Phantom 4 out before then with the same or better features. Or a company like GoPro buys them and ships it sooner.

Who knows, play with current technology, not bleeding edge, save some bucks and enjoy it while you can. I have three months of summer starting soon, and I don't plan on wasting it. We can't in MN! PS: it snowed, rained, hailed, and blew this week. Summer is not here yet.

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I work with a automotive company, Autel. They supposedly have a drone company too

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok...next question. Memory. I'm getting at least 1 - 64 gig. Much of what I read says shot in 2.7k...that way you have plenty of detail. However, reading here...you guys seem to say 720p is fine.

Resolution will determine how long memory last. Do I buy 2 cards and/or bring laptop to dump files?

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
I have a 32gb in the GoPro and record at 1080p at 30FPS without protune on. I had the thing out recording every moment of our week long trip to Mexico and only used 12gb of the 32. And I had a TON of footage. Others may chime in with their thoughts but I think 64gb is plenty! Bring the laptop just in case.

smthng

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Ok...next question. Memory. I'm getting at least 1 - 64 gig. Much of what I read says shot in 2.7k...that way you have plenty of detail. However, reading here...you guys seem to say 720p is fine.
Making a movie for the big screen? Shoot in 2.7 or 4k. Going for YouTube or showing friends on your standard hi-def TV? 720p is plenty good enough, especially starting out. The higher the resolution, the harder the editing is... editing 4K on a machine not specifically built to handle that will make someone never want to edit again.

Resolution will determine how long memory last. Do I buy 2 cards and/or bring laptop to dump files?
Bring the laptop... better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
I prefer two cards per camera... I mostly use 32 Gb cards. If one gets corrupted (or dropped in the surf), I only lose half a day and I have another to keep shooting on. I'm going to have to swap batteries anyway, so I don't mind swapping the card too.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You will only be able to answer that question once you get the camera in your hands. Start with one card and add them as you need them. Memory cards only drop in price. You will hardly ever see them go up in price. And you will be amazed at how much video will fit on a 64Gb card.

As far as resolution, if there is any action, go to the higher framerate over higher resolution when possible. With my older cameras, I may have shot in 720p 60fps over 1080 30fps just so that I could slow things down in post production without losing quality.

With the current cam, 1080p 60fps is very common as I have nothing that can show better quality, and I can still slow it down nicely. You will have to make that call. Many live by the same theory as photographers, shoot at the highest resolution as you have space for so that you can always cut the resolution later.

Start with one card and start shooting. I shot 5 snowmobile trips and filled one card. That included a three day trip to Michigan. But that cam is not running all the time either. It's all relative to your experience and how much you use it.

You will shoot a lot less footage after you edit your first few movies. You will learn to concentrate more on the shots you want, rather than trying to catch the shot you cannot anticipate. (thus the tagging feature)

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The higher the resolution, the harder the editing is... editing 4K on a machine not specifically built to handle that will make someone never want to edit again.
Amen, I don't care how much of a smokin' computer you think you have. 2.7K and 4K video will bring it to it's knees!! Same goes on YouTube video. I have just shifted to uploading 1080p to YouTube and they are some big files. I have a 50Mb Internet pipe coming into my home, but that doesn't mean I can upload at that rate. Dump a 5Gb video up to YouTube and you will be pouring a cocktail. Upload time and processing time is healthy. And if you are lucky, the music police won't reject it due to copyright music usage! That's frustrating to have to start all over.

I have gotten enough hits on my videos now that YouTube is constantly offering to monetize my videos. They are also allowing more and more copyright music if you agree to ads. So I always play the game of using popular music in lieu of ads. Sorry, I digress. It's a pet peeve of mine.

I knew my latest video may get some hits nationally, so I shot it at a higher resolution and uploaded at a higher resolution, and used popular music to help captivate more viewers. But it took 3 edits and 3 uploads before I got one to go through. It was worth it, though.

I think you will find, when your videos get views on YouTube more than the 40-50 friends and family it will become addicting. You want to do the little things that will make more people want to share it. Better shots, better edits, less personalization, cooler music, better locations or topics etc.

Pop this one up to 1080p and full screen. Runners in the Fargo Marathon starting tagging family and friends when they could start seeing faces.

(note when the video is slowed down to 50% speed, the quality remains since it was shot at 60fps)

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I didn't see a wood chipper in that video.. can't possibly be in Fargo!

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ya, you bet, they made us put the chipper away for the event. There is a statue of Marge Gunderson on Broadway downtown. So silly.

Fargo's Finest attached!

Attachments

soggyshoes

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you buy one for the bimini trip get a good uv filter I'm kicking myself in the butt right now for not using one on the Trip we did yesterday. This will save you a ton of time in editing as I'm having to adjust all the video based on the sunlight. I will post it over here once it's done converting will probably get flagged on YouTube for music so may have to watch it from a PC.