• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Go Pro for Bimini Trip

smthng

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
A few of my motorcycle buds have tried the cube and don't much care for it for action stuff. It gets "shake jelly" really bad compared to most others. Might be fine on a boat though... there's less engine and road vibration to deal with.

As far as knockoffs go, I've got one that I like but I've sent back everything else I've found. The Swann Freestyle HD is basically a Hero 3'ish. It was cheap, it works, it's been all over the country with me on the motorcycle and survived two weeks in Utah deserts attached to the bumper of my Jeep. The only others I'd consider would be the Sony Actioncams or the Garmin Virb, but the prices aren't much better than the GoPros. The amount of cheap accessories available for the GoPro line is what trumped the decision for kitting out the boat this time.

zedxmike

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I just got my Hero 4 Silver yesterday. Love it. Got a pelican case 1200, 64 gig class 10 card, and some spare batteries. Getting closer to being ready for the trip!!!

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just got my Hero 4 Silver yesterday. Love it. Got a pelican case 1200, 64 gig class 10 card, and some spare batteries. Getting closer to being ready for the trip!!!
Where did you buy it?

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As far as knockoffs go, I've got one that I like but I've sent back everything else I've found. The Swann Freestyle HD is basically a Hero 3'ish. It was cheap, it works, it's been all over the country with me on the motorcycle and survived two weeks in Utah deserts attached to the bumper of my Jeep. The only others I'd consider would be the Sony Actioncams or the Garmin Virb, but the prices aren't much better than the GoPros. The amount of cheap accessories available for the GoPro line is what trumped the decision for kitting out the boat this time.
After looking around, reading reviews. The $150 savings is not enough to not buy a go pro. I'm hoping the Memorial Day will bring more sales

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have been using digital video and helmet cams for many years. This whole thing started off carrying a VHS (full size) camcorder on my shoulder through the North Face of Crested Butte Colorado in 1990. Since then it has evolved to Sony Digital 8 camcorders, and remote lipstick cams attached to them in fanny packs to the current Kodak HD cams and now GoPro.

They all record video, so you will have fun with any of them. The two Kodak HD cams I used worked really well. They were not as compact, but used SD cards and recorded 720 and 1080p video. The GoPro I use now just does it with better lenses, at higher frame rates, is more compact and has better accessories. So you do get what you pay for. I have lent my Kodaks to friends and they have been delighted with the quality. I shot plenty of video in Mexico snorkeling with one and it worked fine.

Cozumel trip shot with Kodak 1080p camera

Sledding video shot with Kodak 1080p camera. Powersteering on the sled helps keeping the camera steady when holding it with your hand!

GoPro just happens to be the best at marketing their products. You don't see an x-games medalist sponsored by Poloroid, or an ISOC snowcross champion like Tucker Hibbert with a Kodak on his helmet. But you will see GoPro giving out codes to fans for $100 off cameras at events! And a cam mounted to over half of the sleds or riders.

Note that the "free" video editing software from GoPro automatically puts a GoPro ad at the beginning and end to help promote the cams. It's genius marketing. So yes, there are other options out there. If I had not been given my first GoPro as a gift, I would have bought the Drift Innovations Ghost camera. With it's built in DVR with tagging, it was the best cam on the market for those that like to leave it run all day, and just press a tag button whenever something happens worth saving!

Good luck!

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I read the new Hero 4 line has that tag feature

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just a heads up the GoPro Hero 3+ Black is down to 327.00 on Amazon Prime.... It also looks like Guitar Center may have some leftover 3+ Blacks in stock in their stores..... They have them listed at 249.99 near me, although they dont come with waterproof cases or the remote....

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks..but based off my research the Hero 4 Silver is better than the Hero 3+ Black. Since they are comparable in price now. Looking at Hero 4 Silver

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In that comparison they are using a Hero 3 Silver it looks like not a Hero 3+..... And it also looks like a Hero 4 Black, not silver.... Here is a screen shot from the video....upload_2015-5-15_2-35-34.png

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure...but I watched another two videos and read a few reviews. The consensus is that the Hero 4 Silver is better than the Hero 3+ Black

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just saw where you found the Hero 4 Silver for 339.00.... I think thats the best deal on the camera you will find for a while.... That does seem like the one to get.....

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

smthng

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Floaty bobber hand grip (don't want the backdoor pad..since the Hero 4 Silver has a view screen) - ...
Just my opinion, but I think the floaty back would still be a good idea. The one from GoPro comes with replacement door, so you can just swap them in and out when you want to use the screen. The only reason I'm pointing it out is that the floaty grip won't help if it's attached to another mount. Removing the camera from a mount point is when I'm most likely to drop it, which is why I like the floaty backs. It's also good if the mount comes off... like a suction cup mount on the side of a boat. The floaty back is enough to keep most small mounts afloat with the camera.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Note that the "free" video editing software from GoPro automatically puts a GoPro ad at the beginning and end to help promote the cams. It's genius marketing.
Good luck!
I have seen this in other videos I can't tell if its something that has to be turned on or if maybe I'm just using an older version of the software but it has never popped up in any of the videos I have edited using it. I downloaded it last May when my power dirrector got somekind of bug in it and stoped working properly.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It's just a clip that is put in by default when you use their templates but you can delete or move the, if you want.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I found that the floaty back door does not work along with some of the attachments like the head strap or chest strap since the float gets in the way of the attachment. You may want the bobber handle and the floaty back door and use them interchangeably.

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Have you checked out the new Lily? I am seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on the pre-order...
https://www.lily.camera

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not till you posted it. What's the projected ship date? Not sure I could snorkel with it

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It wont ship till Feb so not in time for your trip but it has a lot of nice features and preorder saves you almost half. I am really contimplating it. It is fast enough too follow you doing water sports and it is waterproof and floats....

I envy you guys getting to go this year, hopefully I will have my project done next year and free up some funds so I can join. This looks like an awesome trip!

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It's just a clip that is put in by default when you use their templates but you can delete or move the, if you want.
Yup it's just a clip and totally optional.

Just kinda bummed I have to buy from more than one source.
It's free shipping, not exactly a big deal anymore. A person can overshop this item to death. You are better off getting the best deal as of TODAY, like you have found, and give yourself some time to play with it before your trip. You will learn some neat tricks in the meantime and maybe discover some things you could utilize later.