• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hard time filling up

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
2020 195 - When I fill up it stops like it is full but it isn't. Any thoughts on how to resolve?

2020 195 - When I fill up it stops like it is full but it isn't. Any thoughts on how to resolve?
Check under the seat to be sure your vent line hasn't had something pushed into it putting a kink in it.

I'll also shake my boat after the gas first kicks off.....gets me more gas into the tank. For winter storage I don't do this....as I want expansion room.

I dont know when they started it but yamaha has put in a check valve into the fuel fill hose down on the tank end. The little flapper gets sticky once in awhile not allowing the gas to enter the tank at a decent rate. It backs up causing the the gas fill nozzle to click off. Mine has done this twice but eventually the gas flowing down into the tank loosens up the flapper and it begins flowing right. Assuming you have this wonderful feature, If yours doesnt clear then it may require some attention as in removal lol.

Any one with experience on how to fix that?

Someone pulled that apart on here and had pictures of it. There is a post somewhere. Was maybe a year ago

FWIW,

Mine sometimes does this.. sometimes it flows pretty good, other times a little slower. I use the fuel used meter on the connext screen to be able to tell how much should be going into the tank So I’m sure it is full.

As @TimW451 states, check the vent next to the gas fill cap.

@tdonoughue just posted about this the other day, his problem was a venting issue due to the charcoal canister having a bunch of water in it.

Mine takes fuel about as fast as the pump will dispense. once is shuts off, it'll take another 5 gallons...all be it slowly. I attribute this to it being a large flat-topped tank.

What do I do to check the vent?

What do I do to check the vent?

On mine there is a Allen head bolt on the exterior that can be removed to expose a filter screen. Check the filter screen for debris.

Doesn’t seem clogged here.

D03C81AF-0155-474B-9C48-CFFE3D8CB079.jpeg

It may be that complicated but my boat just likes me to hold the handle gangsta style (pointing better down the hose on the inside). Rotating the handle 45-90 degrees clockwise works much better (never a problem since) but I know the boats have changed a lot since mine.

I don't have any filling issues - I can pump full speed until it kicks off and it's full. I can probably squeeze some more in and fill the line, but no need - tank reads 100% full at that point. As others mentioned, you probably have a blockage or kinked hose on the vent line, or maybe the flapper is sticking.

After my experience with all the water in the line and/or in the cannister, I would not hesitate to open the fuel tank hatch, pop off that vent hose and give it a quick blow. Should take you about 3 minutes (go see the thread @FSH 210 Sport referenced above for pics). You will either find out there is an obstruction (e.g. you can't blow through the hose) or, like I did, a bunch of water will come out...

I didn't do a damn thing lol.

However - I installed a fuse holder and realized I screwed much to close to the black box that the fuel line goes into. Looks like to be some sort of cannister/filter. I disassembled this to make sure I didn't damage anything (I didn't) and re-assembled. While doing this, the fuel hose was disconnected, so to open air. The next time I filled up it was significantly better while pumping gas. It has slightly gone back to how it is, but is still better than that it was. Maybe that filter or whatever it is needs replaced?

I didn't do a damn thing lol.

However - I installed a fuse holder and realized I screwed much to close to the black box that the fuel line goes into. Looks like to be some sort of cannister/filter. I disassembled this to make sure I didn't damage anything (I didn't) and re-assembled. While doing this, the fuel hose was disconnected, so to open air. The next time I filled up it was significantly better while pumping gas. It has slightly gone back to how it is, but is still better than that it was. Maybe that filter or whatever it is needs replaced?

That would be the charcoal canister…. They can get contaminated with gas or water and become restricted.

thanks for the follow up! I was poking around on this topic for one of our members who is having a severe problem filling the tank on his 190 FSH deluxe.

Back