• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help Please <Engine Communication Error>

Kennytwo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So I went out to tackle my first oil change. I started the motor, turned on the water then opened the hatch to start laying everything out while the engine warmed. After a few minutes I looked up and saw an engine communication error. Immediately killed everything and stopped. Here is a pic, please let me know if you know what it means.

Attachments

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I just went through a similar thing on my 2017....it was an overheat alarm on mine.

Here's some things to note/check on:
  1. I haven't seen this issue before, but a good place to start is to disconnect the batteries for a while to let them reset.
  2. Check your battery voltages...if they're low, this may cause a problem.
  3. Ensure your batteries are connected and tight. Make sure you lassoed up all of the wires to the batteries if you've recently moved them around (I always run a zip tie through mine when I disconnect as somethings there's 3-4 cables on each battery post). Check this thread for more info: https://jetboaters.net/threads/2015-ar190-engine-comm-error-and-speed-error.25990/
  4. You might also check the terminals on the back of that gauge....just to make sure they are firmly connected.
  5. When running the engines on a hose, run them no more than about 5 minutes per side. According to my local dealer, an overheat alarm can be cause by too much driveline heat (as they are cooled by the water when in the water). More details on this can be found in my thread on this subject: https://jetboaters.net/threads/reset-overheat-alarm-on-connext.27882/
I hope that helps...

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Maybe something to consider is do you have enough water pressure. Did you notice water coming out of the pisser?

Kennytwo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Although I don’t know exactly how long it was running it wasn’t much longer than five minutes of it was even that. I ended up disconnecting the battery for now and I’ll go back and look at it again in the morning. Praying this isn’t anything major. Was just trying to change the oil.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Although I don’t know exactly how long it was running it wasn’t much longer than five minutes of it was even that. I ended up disconnecting the battery for now and I’ll go back and look at it again in the morning. Praying this isn’t anything major. Was just trying to change the oil.
I don’t see how it could be major as long as the water was flowing out.

Kennytwo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Also, not sure if this makes any differences or not but I started on the starboard engine. When I saw the code I shut it down. A few minutes later I switched on the port engine key (didn’t start the motor) and the error was on that tach too.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Also, not sure if this makes any differences or not but I started on the starboard engine. When I saw the code I shut it down. A few minutes later I switched on the port engine key (didn’t start the motor) and the error was on that tach too.
It sounds electrical to me. I don’t see where you did anything wrong. I honestly think you can rest easy tonight.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There is a computer bus system that connects each tach to the engines and the GPS. Comm error indicates there is a problem on that bus. That is why a weak battery sometimes causes it--poor voltage interrupts the signals, they get wonky and you get an error. You can get the same thing also if there is a loose connection along the bus or one of the terminators is missing.

Most importantly, the comm error will not mean that your engines won't run or that they have an issue. Just means the tach had an issue talking to the ECU. So usually if that happens you can still get in with the boat (or change the oil, or whatever you were going to do). Yes, you might not get some spare error, but when you are changing the oil, the error is not what you are going to see (you'll see the oil pouring out of where you forgot to put the filter back or something).

If you get the error tomorrow, finish changing your oil. Then pull the battery(ies) and take them to the auto parts store for a load test to see if they are weak/going/gone.

Kennytwo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So I stuck a new battery in it this morning and still the same issue. Both motors seem to fire right up so that's good but just puzzled by the whole thing. We did have a pretty bad storm yesterday and the boat was uncovered because I was planning on working on it so everything was soaked, not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. It's currently sitting in the driveway with the battery disconnected. Any other thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So I stuck a new battery in it this morning and still the same issue. Both motors seem to fire right up so that's good but just puzzled by the whole thing. We did have a pretty bad storm yesterday and the boat was uncovered because I was planning on working on it so everything was soaked, not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. It's currently sitting in the driveway with the battery disconnected. Any other thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Some have had luck stopping and restarting the engines 3-5 times in a row to clear errors. This is something relatively new, so may only be for newer boats...but can't hurt. Ensure the engine fully starts and is running, then stop. Post if this works as I am trying to narrow down 1) if this works, 2) what models/years it works on!

Kennytwo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Kennytwo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Some have had luck stopping and restarting the engines 3-5 times in a row to clear errors. This is something relatively new, so may only be for newer boats...but can't hurt. Ensure the engine fully starts and is running, then stop. Post if this works as I am trying to narrow down 1) if this works, 2) what models/years it works on!
Sorry if this is a stupid question but this is my first boat and want to make sure I don't screw anything up. Should I hook up the hose to it to do this?

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Do you have dual batteries? I know you put a new one in today, but are there two?
D0E049C2-B2A5-480C-B185-E4D59F96D5FF.png

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Sorry if this is a stupid question but this is my first boat and want to make sure I don't screw anything up. Should I hook up the hose to it to do this?
No you don't need to hook up the hose to do this. You are litterally running the boat in 3-5 short periods (5 seconds or so each) for a total of 15-30 seconds.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Also, if that doesn't work....look at this thread:

And see if your boat is wired the same way as described in that thread by tek4fun - find the connectors and unplug them, check for condensation, clean etc and replug them in. Perhaps you bumped the plugs while changing the oil???

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
@Kennytwo ....I seriously doubt it was anything major. Even if there was some "steam" doubt any damage was done. Yamaha heat sensor is very sensitive - which is good! You can clear the alarm by removing the battery - sometimes multiple times and likely also use a laptop with Yamaha software (likely your local service center) to remove any overheat code in the memory and the alarm too if you haven't managed to silence it. Yamaha has excellent oiling capacity and unless your engine was throwing a LOT of steam and then "ran on" after shutting it off - it is highly UNLIKELY you have damaged anything. If you are ocd (like me) change your oil and filter as an ocd safeguard! Cheers MT

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
What boat do you have? Just curious since you have two engines and one battery. I just assumed that all dual engine boats had two batteries, even though one is for house. I’m learning too. Wondering if you’re actually suppose to have a second battery or would it be worth installing one.(?)