• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Intermediate bearings

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you hear noise, it may not be the intermediate housing bearing but it could also be the driveshaft/impeller bearing. Those have cones over them with grease that can get compromised.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wish I could offer you some insight here @Murf'n'surf but I haven't had that issue yet. I'm wondering if, when your end bearings under the rear cone went, may have caused a shaft unbalance shortening the life of the intermediate bearing. Possible?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I replaced the cone bearings a few moths ago. They were completely shattered and seized to the shaft on one side.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'll be pulling out the shop manual soon.

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How many hours on the motors (estimated)?

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh thanks @Murf'n'surf ... Mine were under salt water for about 45 minutes... I guess I have this to look forward to. At least I have you to look to for help if it comes to that. ;)

In the parts diagram, #9, is that a zerk fitting? Is that the same one we are supposed to grease at the oil change (bearing housing)?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@cwoav8r 9 is where the rubber hose connects from the zerk that is mounted up higher in the Classic boats.

I just started noticing a small water leak in my bilge after having the pump cone bearings replaced. My guess is that the orings in the bearing housing are messed up and allowing small amounts of water in. These orings where probably ok until the shaft was pulled out and put back in for the first time in ten years. After my run with new cone bearings, the intermediate bearings were filled with salt water due to torn rings.

Hey, this is why we work, right? Ugh! And the AC just went out in my truck...gonna be an expensive month.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Since I just pulled and reinstalled my shafts I will be following this closely!

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The more I research this I am finding it to be a common problem on the skis.

The repair info I've read through so far all talk about pressing bearings. Do I need a press? Is a block of wood and a hammer ok?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have changed wheel bearings. That involved bearings frozen in a freezer, hubs warmed in an oven and a press.

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Murf'n'surf if it comes to it, let me know... I have access to a really big press, a heat gun, and a wide selection of hammers. But seriously, I can press anything into anything... I mean... crap. Just let me know if you need some help!

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have done wheel bearings too. And tried the hammer method. Plan on a press...

If one is not handy I found that it is effective to wait around the back of an NTB for one of the mechanics on break. Flip him a $20 and he will be back in a few minutes with freshly pressed parts... Auto parts store may also let you borrow one.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I took my parts to the local yamaha dealer and had them press out and press in the new bearing. I did not want it being off spec since it was a large job getting it out and back in. In hindsight, i would have had more patience and had a general shop do the work. My dealer charged $60 for the first press and $80 to do the other side???? You can buy a press from Harbor freight for about $100... I just didn't want to have one of these

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce When you pulled and replaced your pumps did you have any issues removing or pushing in?

If you remember one of mine was a bear to get out, I had to tap it out with a 5 pound sledge and steel bolt. When that side went back in it didn't slide right into place like the other side. I am guessing that it was hitting torn O-rings or corrosion. Damn saltwater!!!

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Murf'n'surf Mine came out really easily. I was surprised when the first one came out. I could see where grease had been on the shaft.

When I reassembled I spread Honda 60% Moly grease on the shaft before reinserting. Then I slid the shaft in and rotated until the splines lined up. I did not have to press hard to reinsert.

We have been out once since reinsertion and the bilge pumps never came on. So mine may be fine. I will keep an eye on it.

bucks448

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The more I research this I am finding it to be a common problem on the skis.

The repair info I've read through so far all talk about pressing bearings. Do I need a press? Is a block of wood and a hammer ok?
Are you planning on replacing just the bearings? There's a seal on the back side of the housing that keeps the water out, and I don't see a part listed separate from the housing for this. The seal usually goes before the bearing. I replaced the whole housing on my LX2000 which comes with the bearing pressed in. Island Racing has it for $138.