• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Jet shaft through hull blowout

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
@Volffas It was mine, we had the tube tied to the back of the boat with it. my kido un tied the tube and didnt put the rope in the boat, it was tied to the oh shit handle behind the driver. Wife cranked up the boat to push it up on the beach more, didnt realise rope was there and the rest is history. I want to make a alarm that goes off when you turn on the key and before cranking that yells ROPE ROPE ROPE.:devilhorns::winkingthumbsup"
All that damage is hard to look at, but as far as an alarm goes, you could just take a piece of that cut up dock line and tie it to one of your keys. I bet you'd know what to look for every time you start your motors after seeing that.

MIDLIFECRISIS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
20140826_200419.jpg 20140826_200042.jpg 20140826_200419.jpg 20140826_200042.jpg 20140826_200449.jpg Ok another update. I'm replacing the rubber hose with sq40 pvc, goes from the bearing to the through hull fitting (rubber hose was the weak link in the factory setup). I'll take it all outone more time to silicon both ends of the pvc and then start the fiberglass repair.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
After a couple of years that pvc will shatter like an egg shell. The rubber will hold up much better. It will also allow more flex.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Surely there is flex in that area. No way I would go with something rigid. .....and I agree...over time, that PVC will likely become brittle and crack. The rubber isn't a weak link if nobody every has reported a problem with it. I know I've never seen one and I've read a lot of forum posts in the last 5 years.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don't think schedule 40 PVC will crack over time. If it was class 200 PVC then, yes, he is looking for trouble.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don't think schedule 40 PVC will crack over time. If it was class 200 PVC then, yes, he is looking for trouble.
You would be surprised how fast it gets brittle. It is mostly buried in walls with no real water pressure so it lasts forever or at least until you open up the wall a barely tap it with a hammer. :)

MIDLIFECRISIS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Ok guys I think that the reason Yamaha puts hose there is for ease of manufacuring. If there is flex im my boat in that area it would severly damage all the bearings for the pump shaft. Another reason for the pvc is alighning the through hull fitting. When it pushed through it took all of the fiberglass it was scewed too. I would never get the hole drilled it the exact spot, there is some wiggle room in the fitting but not enough for me to be comfertable with. Im a master mechanic by trade but not a robot like they use to drill most of the holes in our boats. The pvc will be siliconed at both ends and fiberglassed at the hull end, that way if need be I can take it out if it does crack. I dont see that hapening in my lifetime. Pvc is broke down by UV light from the sun and that area hardly sees the light of day. Wish I was home working on it now, But Im in Littlerock AR for some Army schools wont be home till Friday.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I think the rubber hose is for vibration dampening, a lot of vibration could possibly cause the p v c to fail. The intermediate shaft bearings are mounted on rubber . Just something to take into consideration.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would put back whatever is OEM. Not a job you want to have to do twice especially after you glass that bad boy in. Has anyone else seen or heard of a failure like this before? If they are not common (by god I hope they aren't) then OEM is the way to go.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would put back whatever is OEM. Not a job you want to have to do twice especially after you glass that bad boy in. Has anyone else seen or heard of a failure like this before? If they are not common (by god I hope they aren't) then OEM is the way to go.
Very common failure on waverunners that ingest objects. Kind of surprised it does not happen more with the boats. If this happened on my boat I would claim it on insurance to get a warranty on the fix in case the fix failed away from land.

tracerrx

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
This might be a stupid idea or maybe it has already been discussed...but has anyone ever thought about adding a screen over the intake grate? I assumed or always thought that is where the ropes are being sucked in. How much would that impact the water flow?
This! I also don't understand why there is no screen here, even a really course one to prevent big items like golfballs and ski ropes, surely something with a 1/2" mesh wouldn't restrict waterflow? Ive been really fortunate in that I have only sucked up 1 ski rope (our lake is super clean), and when I did the engine stalled almost immediately. Other than the occasional "weeds", nothing else.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@JetBoatPilot - Looks like another product for you to sell. . . . . Get some R&D going when you get back from VACA. I have a feeling you would sell them like hot cakes.

tracerrx

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
@JetBoatPilot - Looks like another product for you to sell. . . . . Get some R&D going when you get back from VACA. I have a feeling you would sell them like hot cakes.
I second this! Hardest part would be how it would attach to the outer hull, easily, without getting pulled off or adding a lot of extra drag.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I second this! Hardest part would be how it would attach to the outer hull, easily, without getting pulled off or adding a lot of extra drag.
Might have to replace the intake grate? Or maybe put it on the inside? I am thinking something along the lines of chicken wire. . . . .

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Hmmm...Even with a 1"X1" square stainless mesh, it's 88% open and that's with the smallest wire gauge, it might need to be thicker. That means a 12% intake restriction. I bet you would see some performance loss. Time for some testing, who's game?

I think it would need to be under the intake grate (well, above really but I think you know what I mean) Pull off the grate and install mesh and then install grate with longer screws if necessary.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#wire-cloth/=tn0b23

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would expect cavitation inducement is the reason screens are not used.

Seems like a proof-of-concept test for a screen would be simple enough.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A little confused, is there a "grate" currently on the intake?

@Julian & @GTBMRC I found this on the internet http://www.pumps-filters.com/images/Rules_to_Follow_to_Avoid_Pump_Problems,_2-16-00.pdf which seems to explain cavitation in pumps well, but im not an engineer. Maybe one of you can make sense of it?
Very simply stated, a jet pump moving through water is a very complex system.

To simplify, refer to Rule 3 on your reference about pumps. The grates are specifically designed to a) avoid creating turbulence (or keep the flow laminar) and b) avoid restricting inbound flow (or create pockets with pressure that is too low). Both of these inputs are key to minimizing pump cavitation.

Now, if you intentionally did the opposite of my a) & b) above (as in: increase inbound turbulence and decrease inbound pressure), you will be increasing the chance of cavitation.

Unfortunately, the technical challenge of designing an inlet screen (a 2D design with many intersections and complex flow patterns) that minimizes inbound turbulence and maximizes inbound pressure is MUCH MORE DIFFICULT than designing a grate (a 1D design with no intersections and parallel flow patterns) to do the same.

Does that help?