• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoaters.net Bimini Fling July 10th to 15th 2017

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Couldn't agree more! There is zero need to have an anchor in the locker and so much downside. I don't care how much padding or precaution is taken... the cons outweigh the pros! Lol

Majorsmackdown

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, I like to use the shipping cover for long trips (trailering) and premium cover for mooring. The shipping cover when tighten up snag does not scratch or dull the gelcoat like the premium can. Works very well.

You know, because it is very important to take really good care of your boat. LMFAO.

Damn, we are still not home, we had to call work.

--
I wondered the same thing....?? Folks say the shipping cover doesn't last - but it's softer than the 'premium' cover.

1. Could you put the premium cover over the shipping cover for long hauls ? Maybe a big hassle.

2. Drive slower ? 65 helped a lot I think.

3. If you drove through wet, dirty, sandy, gritty roads would that funk get in between the cover and hull anyhow ? I think grit was 1/2 my problem last year. Last year we did a lot of driving in the rain.

That said, I did a 1100 mile tow after bimini last year and used blue tape where I remembered chafing. The blue tape worked great but other areas of contact showed minor abrasion.

My dealer gave me the boat with the premium cover installed and poles in place. I towed to Florida last year that way. I've since learned to not use the poles when trailering and to put blue tape from a little below the cover on up to the rub rail for about the rear 2/3 of the length and fully wrap the front 'corners' with about a foot wide patch from below the cover to the rub rail. Takes a little under 2 rolls per application and about 20 minutes. Very good investment if you're hauling in rain or winter or a long way. And i do believe speed is a factor.

I drove at speeds of 80 and up to 85 last year. This year I stayed 65 most of the time with little blips to 70 in florida. I had no diamond plate cracking till florida (florida has some bouncy ass'd roads) I did have brand new fenders and all the factory star washers were giving up their grip at about 1000 miles. I replaced them all with nylocs. The nylocs don't loosen up.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure if it is in the Bimini suggestions but based on this year everyone should store their anchor somewhere else when crossing. That hurts to look at !
Keep in mind Yamaha fixed that issue in 2015+ models which have a FRP insert/cabinet inside the bow anchor locker preventing this kind of damage. I still have it padded and put a couple of small bumper in to cushion it.

--

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Keep in mind Yamaha fixed that issue in 2015+ models which have a FRP insert/cabinet inside the bow anchor locker preventing this kind of damage. I still have it padded and put a couple of small bumper in to cushion it.

--
Ah, thanks. Didn't realize they were different. I have my small box anchor in there and I would want to remove it. Not sure the box anchor is the best option for Bimini anyway.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wondered the same thing....?? Folks say the shipping cover doesn't last - but it's softer than the 'premium' cover.

1. Could you put the premium cover over the shipping cover for long hauls ? Maybe a big hassle.

2. Drive slower ? 65 helped a lot I think.

3. If you drove through wet, dirty, sandy, gritty roads would that funk get in between the cover and hull anyhow ? I think grit was 1/2 my problem last year. Last year we did a lot of driving in the rain.

That said, I did a 1100 mile tow after bimini last year and used blue tape where I remembered chafing. The blue tape worked great but other areas of contact showed minor abrasion.

My dealer gave me the boat with the premium cover installed and poles in place. I towed to Florida last year that way. I've since learned to not use the poles when trailering and to put blue tape from a little below the cover on up to the rub rail for about the rear 2/3 of the length and fully wrap the front 'corners' with about a foot wide patch from below the cover to the rub rail. Takes a little under 2 rolls per application and about 20 minutes. Very good investment if you're hauling in rain or winter or a long way. And i do believe speed is a factor.

I drove at speeds of 80 and up to 85 last year. This year I stayed 65 most of the time with little blips to 70 in florida. I had no diamond plate cracking till florida (florida has some bouncy ass'd roads) I did have brand new fenders and all the factory star washers were giving up their grip at about 1000 miles. I replaced them all with nylocs. The nylocs don't loosen up.
We towed a lot this year but not as much as you!
I find the factory shipping cover, when ratcheted real tight, to work great for towing. My trailer fenders/plates seem to fare much better this year with new radials and big (2") washers w/neoprene lining to hold those diamond plates down.

--

Majorsmackdown

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

--
My 2 cents. My '16 model holds a fluke anchor nicely and I got the fortress fx7 because its super light. It can safely be kept in the anchor locker in my particular boat.

It also hooked nicely everywhere I tried. But we didn't have any heavy winds this year.

Majorsmackdown

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Started back from Miami at 9 pm and still going strong. Should cross Florida in a couple of hours. After the crossing yesterday I discovered that I don't have my truck keys and it is being brought back by my wife Anu on the night ferry. @fromrio was awesome to show me Miami on his boat and Miami is freaking awesome. Definitely going to make a trip in December and spend a week here with my boat.
Today morning pulled the boat out of the water in the pouring rain and discovered a flat (brand new tire with a big nail right thru it). Changed the tire , put my family on a flight back home and here I am typing at 2:15 am on the way back to home. Hope to reach by tomorrow evening.

What an amazing week with some truly amazing people. Wife and kids loved every minute of it. 2018 here we come again. :thumbsup:
Amar ! You had to spend the night at harbour towne ? Wow. You're a trooper !

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Upon close inspection, looks like my anchors beat the S**** out of the fiberglass inside the anchor locker. Add me to the 2017 crossing casualty listView attachment 59602
That is brutal to look at. For those out there with Anchor damage, was it a matter of front ladder being removed at all ? I took my ladder out and can see where it would break free of the plastic tabs with much more freedom to move around.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Mine was a box anchor. I tied it down, but should have simply removed it from the locker. It makes total sense that it would beat around the locker, but I thought i could mitigate it. I also had 2 layers of the weight lifting mats in the locker, but it beat right through them.

P.S. - The box anchor is of no use in Bimini. The danforth that I had stowed in the rear compartment would have been much better. Live and learn I suppose.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Not sure if it is in the Bimini suggestions but based on this year everyone should store their anchor somewhere else when crossing. That hurts to look at !
Agree! Mine lives under one of the front seats for this very reason! Short of putting wood in the anchor locker, nothing would protect the gel coat from an anchor bouncing around in there!

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Mine was a box anchor. I tied it down, but should have simply removed it from the locker. It makes total sense that it would beat around the locker, but I thought i could mitigate it. I also had 2 layers of the weight lifting mats in the locker, but it beat right through them.

P.S. - The box anchor is of no use in Bimini. The danforth that I had stowed in the rear compartment would have been much better. Live and learn I suppose.
Never mind, I posted earlier thinking you had a fluke accident.;) But now I see it was a different anchor.:rolleyes:

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Edgar Almonte

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Glad
Can someone tell me "what is wrong with this"?
View attachment 59702

Yeah, you guessed it, it's my tower. Driving 50mph to avoid any bouncing of this unhinged thing, trying to prevent it from messing up the upholstery or anything else in this boat even more. Used ratchet straps and towels and blankets to pad it up but this thing is just not the right fit (any other way than up right)...
Well, we are still not home. And of course - it ripped the cover.

Oh, how I hate this f@@@ing tower.

BTW - There is absolutely no way I could had brought this back for Yamaha inside the boat across the water - any bounce and this thing is just moving all over the place.
Thank God for @Edgar Almonte help. Bless your heart Edgar.

--
Glad I could help!

Edgar Almonte

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
after crossing over to Bimini my boat developed a hairline crack and started taking water. one of my two bilge pumps would turn on every 5 minutes and was able to keep it under control. I was able to use the boat the whole time I was in Bimini but I didn't trust it for the crossing back to the US. My insurance covered the tow so I just took advantage of it. It did suck that the tow back took 5 hours

Edgar Almonte

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Awesome man! I'm glad to hear that it worked out good for you all. We had a great time meeting your family.
Not sure what happened with my original post but we made it back fine. It was great meeting you and all other Jetboaters as well!! Bimini was as awesone as I expected it to be.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Edgar Almonte I'm sorry to hear about this but glad to hear you had two bilge pumps,

please keep us updated on the repair, we don't hear about the hulls cracking very often (except for loose anchors!),

Did you take any teeth jarring hits that would have made you say "that might have been a problem" or any idea what caused it?

Edgar Almonte

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Edgar Almonte I'm sorry to hear about this but glad to hear you had two bilge pumps,

please keep us updated on the repair, we don't hear about the hulls cracking very often (except for loose anchors!),

Did you take any teeth jarring hits that would have made you say "that might have been a problem" or any idea what caused it?
Actually, I think that was a pre-existing damage that was on the boat before I bought it. I only bought this boat 6 months ago for the purpose of this Bimini trip.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length