• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoaters.net Bimini Fling July 10th to 15th 2017

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am looking at taking our jet skis the first week or so in June but to grand Bahama and freeport. Not sure about the boat at all as my kids are too small still to enjoy the ride across.
That is a long way for a couple of skis to cross. Are you going with a group?

@ArmyChief was on a very long crossing on that route.

john94si

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
6 to 10 skis. Its only 10 more miles than bimini from miami for west palm to west end then to freeport. I want to go somewhere different this year instead of Bimini.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
6 to 10 skis. Its only 10 more miles than bimini from miami for west palm to west end then to freeport. I want to go somewhere different this year instead of Bimini.
@john94si I agree this isn't much different then the Bimini trip to get to West End. It's all about conditions on this trip the same as Bimini. I have talked to guys who have made it to West End in two hours on skis and some who took four but I have seen the same with the Bimini trip.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am not trying to discourage you. Grand Bahama sounds like a fun more commercialized trip and as you say is not much further away.

West Palm to West End stopping at the closest marinas with fuel is 65.3 miles then it is 21.1 miles on to Freeport Harbor. You can view the route at http://tinyurl.com/j4p64nm or download it from http://tinyurl.com/jzftc46 .

I would consider Boynton directly to Freeport Harbor as an alternative. It is 79.3 miles and eliminated the stop in West End where I assume you will have a delay as you clear customs. You can view the route at http://tinyurl.com/zvds6v8 or download it from http://tinyurl.com/jme2s5d . Boynton's inlet is known for rough water but that should not be an issue for skis planning to cross the Gulf Stream.

On a good day Boynton to Freeport Harbor should be around a 3.5 hour crossing. I would add two hours for customs to the West Palm to West End route. On a bad day these could be 8 and 10 hour crossings. That is a lot of time and a lot of fuel. So please plan well.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Figured I would post this as it will clear up some confusion (well at least I was confused) . The Bahamas has new drone laws for those thinking of bringing drones on this trip apparently from some reports I have read they are taking them seriously and if you don't follow their procedure they will confiscate your drone during your trip. When you read the law it appears you have to pay all sorts of fees and go through a headache process to get permission to do this but its misleading. When you read their law and process it is the actual process to register your drone in the Bahamas but if you have followed US rules you do not need to do that. If your drone is registered with the FAA in the US you just need a permission letter from the Bahamas aviation ministry. Below is the process wanted to post now so those doing this could do it well in advance.

US/FAA registration
1) Go to https://registermyuas.faa.gov
2) It will take you less than 5 minutes to register with the FAA
3) Cost is $5 and you will get an FAA Registration Number. Its kinda like an "N" number for an airplane.
4) You will also get an FAA certificate to print off. You will need that certificate for your Bahamian Authorization Letter.
5) You must put you Registration # somewhere on your Drone.

Bahamian Authorization Letter
1) You will need your FAA Certificate
2) Model # of your drone
3) Serial # of your drone
4) Proof of purchase/ownership of your drone
5) Send all of the above via email to Mr. Gregory Edwards in Nassau at gedwards.fsi@gmail.com requesting an "Authorization to fly in Bahamas Airspace" letter. He will email it to you within a day.

Mr. Edwards was very nice and easy to work with. If you need to call him his number is 242-397-4700 ext. 4760

Good Luck

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@robert843, that takes care of licensing but what about import duties. I read somewhere that temporary importation can be very expensive.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@robert843, that takes care of licensing but what about import duties. I read somewhere that temporary importation can be very expensive.
None of this applies there are no import duties or taxes. I was as confused as anyone about this process. I have seen conflicting reports on how things were handled but from what I'm being told from the aviation ministry if you follow this process no fees, duties or taxes are required at all in the Bahamas. Those all only apply to register your drone in the Bahamas. So unless you physically plan to import and leave it there nothing is needed money wise to take it.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry also forgot this is only good for thirty days so get them to post date the letter to your planned trip time frame. Which they should do no issues.

Dear Sir:
Re: Authorization to fly in Bahamas Airspace
This letter is authorization to fly UAV Registration ***********, DJI Phantom 3, Serial Number
**************, in Bahamas airspace under the following conditions:
(1) The person in charge of a small unmanned surveillance aircraft must not fly the aircraft in any of the circumstance described in paragraph (2), except in accordance with a permission issued by the Bahamas Department of Civil Aviation.
(2) The circumstance referred to in paragraph (1) are-
(a) Within 5 nautical miles of any airport;
(b) At a height less than 200 ft;
(c) Over or within 150 meters of any congested or populated area;
(d) Over or within 150 meters of an organized open-air assembly of more than 100 persons
(e) Within 50 meters of any vessel, vehicle or structure which is not under the control of the person in charge of the aerial vehicle, without special permission of the Owner;
(f) Within 50 meters of any person;
(g) Subject to (c) and (d), during takeoff or landing, a small unmanned surveillance aircraft must not be flown within 30 meters of any person;
(h) Paragraphs (d) and (f) does not apply to the person in charge of the small unmanned
surveillance aircraft, or a person under the control of the person in charge of the aircraft;
(i) A small unmanned aircraft means a small unmanned aircraft less than 15kg in weight used for personal recreation and for which any images or data collected (if so equipped) are not
commercial gain.
(3) This validation shall remain valid for a period not to exceed Thirty [30] days from the date of issuance unless sooner removed, revoked or surrendered.
N. B. The Department of Civil Aviation will not be responsible for any accidents, incidents,
mishaps, damages or injuries that may occurs as a result of the operation of Unmanned &
Remotely Controlled Aircraft, and will require that the operator/owner assume all such
liability.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I wonder if i can get my kite rig to work right this year. Doubt they have laws against kites!

Rick215HO

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Rick215HO has registered to captain Amulet with a crew of 2 adults and 0 children. They hail from the home port of Kingwood, TX.

The crew is described as: Captain Ricardo + wife and co-pilot Alenia from Kingwood, TX - We have had our 215HO for two years and we are now upgrading to a SCARAB 255HO which should be delivered in January 2017. Looking forward to Bimini!

You can register for the event using the form at https://jetboaters.net/forms/bimini-2017-registration.6/respond

Lakeboy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
has the date been select for the Bimini 2017?

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nothing i have seen yet. There is some dates being thrown around but nothing set in stone yet. 9e11cfa3578168fcb0cea5fc7bf5f5ec.jpg

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Bimini Sands is in a transition period. We will not be able to confirm dates until sometime in January. I had hoped to do so earlier but January is plenty early and earlier than we have most years.

Please compete the registration form so we know what dates work for you.

Anyone who has a vacation selection deadline please post to let us know when it is.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I sure hope that @Glen goes so he can show me the trick I pulled and pulled on the thing to get it on. Not so simple of a task for me. Love the coverage and so glad that I have it but don't look forward to every time I want to go somewhere and drive over 60MPH I have to remove the top.
Hey @Scott Skrogstad

admittedly, the first 1 or 2 times you put the top on, it will likely take 10-15 minutes to do it. I would route the straps to the ratchet the wrong way, or one of the strap snaps on the outside vs inside of one of the support bars. But since, it is as @swatski observed, a 5 minute activity.
The first 2 times I put the top on it was in my driveway with no time pressure (ramp, kids,...), so I could learn the 'logic' used by the designer. Once you get it, you'll rarely mis-route the straps
Off can be done in 2 minutes.

I haul my boat about 45 minutes, most of the time I use it. I don't have a problem with leaving the top on for trips of and hour or so, and being mindful of keeping top speed around 60. I figure the boat goes 50+ and some headwind needed to be part of the engineering design.

Valerie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Hi guys! Im in, not sure who will be joining me this trip, but whoever does, we will be running with your group. I have lotsa vacation time, right now I have June 30-July 10th off but it can be moved .
Cant wait!!!

jayasaki138

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautic Star
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I sure hope that @Glen goes so he can show me the trick I pulled and pulled on the thing to get it on. Not so simple of a task for me. Love the coverage and so glad that I have it but don't look forward to every time I want to go somewhere and drive over 60MPH I have to remove the top.
The dealer showed me how they remove and put the bimini cover up and it works well for me. It is easier with 2 people, but I've done it on my own fine as well. Their approach is as follows:

1. undo and unclip all the straps, including the ratchets and wrap them back in their velcro cover
  2. Go to the bow and undo the small bow velcro and begin pulling the bimini towards you while also rolling it up
  3. Watch out for those ratchets as they will swing and hit things
  4. once you have it all the way rolled up...you are done.
To put it back up, you do the reverse.....
  1. Lay the rolled up bimini on top and begin pulling the loose end towards the stern.
  2. It is fastest if you have someone to hold and unroll the rolled up end while someone else pulls towards the stern.

jaburt

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
jaburt has registered to captain Into The Blue with a crew of 2 adults and 2 children. They hail from the home port of Black Warrior River, Demopolis, AL.

The crew is described as: Wife Melody Burt and 2 boys Trevor 14 and Tristan 11

You can register for the event using the form at https://jetboaters.net/forms/bimini-2017-registration.6/respond