• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoaters.net Bimini Fling July 10th to 15th 2017

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Where is the best place to get the correct distress signal flares and light
Walmart typically has flares in the marine section of the store. The stick or pistol type is fine.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks is the light mandatory?
Here is a quick reference sheet (in short, light not needed if you have flares--but if you plan to boat at night, a spotlight can sometimes be very handy for spotting channel bouys):
coast guard quick reference.JPG

I also attached the full federal guideline I snipped this from.

Attachments

jayasaki138

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautic Star
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@robert843, @Ramblin Wreck, @JROD coild you share the model of ski you guys take and how much fuel you burn on the way to Bimini?

Would you recommend that a Yamaha Fx HO, Kawisaki Ultra 300x or 2016 Yamaha VXS carry extra fuel?

Thanks

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@robert843, @Ramblin Wreck, @JROD coild you share the model of ski you guys take and how much fuel you burn on the way to Bimini?

Would you recommend that a Yamaha Fx HO, Kawisaki Ultra 300x or 2016 Yamaha VXS carry extra fuel?

Thanks
@Bruce those skis should burn between 12-15 gallons going to Bimini as long as they can maintain speeds of 20 mph or greater during the crossing. If the conditions are rough and forcing them to move slower then that they could burn closer to 17-20 gallons and could require fuel but not much. I personally do not think I would bring fuel with me on a Bimini run again but I would make sure I was maintaining the correct speeds no matter what even if that meant me leaving the group I was with to do it. If someone was not comfortable with that I would suggest they probably pack at least a small 2.5 gallon can just to be safe in case the group they are with was moving slower then that.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
in case the group they are with was moving slower then that.
I will not take the group out in any conditions where we can not reasonably remain on plane. Anyone who is unwilling to keep up will be asked to return to port.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will not take the group out in any conditions where we can not reasonably remain on plane. Anyone who is unwilling to keep up will be asked to return to port.
I do agree but so many things can happen out there if a boat breaks down in the middle and they are part of that crossing group it could drastically slow them down if they opt to idle around the boat waiting on Sea Tow or someone decided to tow the broke down vessel in. For the skis in this case they must be willing to continue the crossing on their own or catch the next group coming up behind and continue with them or they would run the risk of being short on fuel. I know you would never lead this crew out in conditions where those speeds were unachievable but I would want the skis to know if they did not carry extra fuel their plan may need to be a little different then the boats in the event of something going wrong. Another good piece of advice for them is if something does go wrong and a extended stop is required turn the ski off and drift versus idling around for an extended period of time in an effort to conserve fuel. In 2015 I would guess I spent at least an hour or more combined time drifting as we waited for help for a distressed vessel and other stops for boats to refuel at sea.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
These last few posts bring back a couple of important issues.

I think it is important for anyone committing to this adventure to be comfortable with the idea of losing their boat.

Lets face it - even with relatively great conditions, such as last year crossing, if your vessel becomes disabled beyond 25 mile or so off-shore due to something that can not be fixed on the fly you will likely be facing a binary choice:
1. jump ship or
2. take you life in your hands and drift away.

Unless we have a weather window that is just amazing, the primary purpose of going in a group is to save the crew, not the boat, god forbid bad luck strikes.

EDIT: I guess I could have just said: read the first post of this thread.

--

Rob9550

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
These last few posts bring back a couple of important issues.

I think it is important for anyone committing to this adventure to be comfortable with the idea of losing their boat.

Lets face it - even with relatively great conditions, such as last year crossing, if your vessel becomes disabled beyond 25 mile or so off-shore due to something that can not be fixed on the fly you will likely be facing a binary choice:
1. jump ship or
2. take you life in your hands and drift away.

Unless we have a weather window that is just amazing, the primary purpose of going in a group is to save the crew, not the boat, god forbid bad luck strikes.

EDIT: I guess I could have just said: read the first post of this thread.

--
This is why I have insurance. Its not even a question if I save my family or my boat...

With that said I do like the new red AR240 :)

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Lol @Rob9550 people ask me all the time when I tell them we do this stuff what would I do if they ski broke down in the middle of the ocean and my response is always I would pull the drain plugs.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
All the towing policies I've seen will cover towing in the area we will be in. Losing a boat entirely would be highly unlikely. I'm not even sure the coast guard would allow your boat to be left, full of gas and oil, in the gulf stream. They would almost certainly have it hooked up and towed in. The boat won't sink if you pull the plugs....not sure if a ski would (for 24 hours at a minimum).