• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Killing the warranty on a new 2022 255 FSH - Engine Mods

SamTheClip

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hello all!

I recently bought a 2022 255 FSH. Besides having an absolutely horrible experience with the dealership where I bought it (Riva Motorsports of Miami = worst buying experience ever!) I really do like the boat. That being said, the boat currently tops out around 55mph. I know I'm going to get crucified for this as it will kill my warranty but I'm really wanting more top end out of her and yes, I'm willing to void my factory warranty to get what I really want.

Now... The big question that many will ask... "Why???" Well, my first reason is, why not? ;) But my main reason is where I'm at I have to go out approximately 60 miles offshore to do what I want (both scuba diving and fishing). Even at 55mph it seems to take forever. Especially when you're doing it every single day. Now, I just have to figure out the "how-to".

Does anyone here have any recommendations on what do in order to get her to push at least 70mph (or faster?). A friend told me a simple mod would be to change pulley sizes on the superchargers but I'm not looking do anything that will only add a few MPH.

I'm willing to do just about anything with the exception of swapping out my motors. I really want to push these motors to their limits and get as much top-end speed as possible. From what I've learned so far, if I really want to add more HP I'd be looking at pulling and rebuilding both motors. That's fine but, what actually needs to be done and is there any "good" mechanics that anyone can recommend (hopefully in the Naples, FL area)? Also, what about impeller upgrades? Is there anything out there that's a drastic improvement over the factory impellers?

For those of you who are about to say, "why not wait until your new motors need rebuilding?" or "why would you want to ruin your factory warranty?"... Don't bother - LOL! I know this isn't going to be a cheap project but, as long as I'm able to achieve my goal I'll be happy.

Any info/recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
-Sam

It will be more then modifying the engines, you will have to also modify the pumps too, but its doubtful you would get to 70. Also im not sure I would trust a Yamaha hull at 70 mph. I would start by talking to a Jet Ski performace shop as they would probably know the options best. Im with you about Riva, My sales guy was great but everyone else wasnt. Dont rely on them to do your maintenance either...

Hi Lazergeek!

Thanks for taking the time to reply & for the info!

Honestly, I never thought about the hull but being that it’s an offshore boat (OK, she’s small for an offshore boat) I wouldn’t have thought the hull would be an issue.

Thanks again for the reply bud!

Cones, ribbon delete, impeller mods that’s about all I’ve seen on this forum to push a couple more mph out of these. Sounds like you have pretty calm seas. Biggest speed deterrent for me is the chop/seas.

some good advice on a thread I posted when I bought mine. (Single engine) but mods may apply

Scokill why would you say that I bought the wrong boat. Are you referring to the mods I’d like to do or the boat in general. If it’s the boat in general, I bought the best boat for the money. I did a ton of homework and found that the 255 FSH was by far the bang for the buck. Even the Scarab center console was more money but didn’t have as many features as the 255 FSH. Like I said earlier, I absolutely love the boat! I’ve already been offered $10k over what I paid from the dealer but I didn’t buy the boat to flip it. I’ll be keeping it for a long time. And to be honest, having 500 HP from the factory is great. Unfortunately, I’m one of those guys that just can’t leave a good thing alone.

If you’re referring to not getting your money out of upgrading the motors, well I totally agree. Biggest waste of money but, since I do t plan on selling it for a long time I’d like to make it faster. The funny thing is… no matter what boat I bought I’d still look to make it faster. That’s just the way I am - LOL!

That being said, back to the main reason I created the post. I’d still like to hear any good ideas on how to make it faster.

Cones, ribbon delete, impeller mods that’s about all I’ve seen on this forum to push a couple more mph out of these. Sounds like you have pretty calm seas. Biggest speed deterrent for me is the chop/seas.

some good advice on a thread I posted when I bought mine. (Single engine) but mods may apply

Hi Farny!

Thank you for the reply/info Sir! Again, I was really looking for something to get at least 10-15mph faster but if it turns out I can’t, I’ll probably do what you said (just because I have to tinker with it - LOL!).

Thanks again!

Enjoy your tinkering! Search this forum lots of folks talking upgrades. Fun making the boat your own iteration. Lol kinda like jeeps or muscle cars, always something you can do for a few $$$

the go to guy for Yamaha mods is Deans Team even Yamaha Factory goes to him for PWC performance, you will need a few mods including a reflash ribbon delete and posible prop repitch just a reflash will give you more of what you are looking for,. and defitly blow off valve or you will bend a valve when landing from getting airborne. :)

the math is tedious but not all that complicated. Getting more accurate results would take some simulation and/or experimentation either in the real world. Drag is not linear and you have deal with both hydrodynamic and aerodynamic drag...

here is a link that will get you in the ballpark on how much Horsepower you need and to approximate the drag coefficient put in your boats weight HP and measured top speed.

enter the weight, your previously calculated drag coefficient and the Speed you want... note that Top speed is not Cruising speed and does not account for varying conditions.

Boat Speed Calc

I'd start with the approximation you will need on the order of 800 HP to get 70 MPH out of your boat... and don't forget that you will likely need pumps and trim tabs at speed to deal with hull dynamic stability... another challenge that I had to solve was fuel capacity (cost almost as much as the engines)... off shore requires reliability and capability...

I'll can let you know how accurate this is for a 2004 AR210 hull and I just completed a engine swap to MR-1 HO's for a net gain of 50 HP and 100 lb net reduction in weight (engines and increased fuel are heaver but I went to LiFePO4 batteries)... I have the same pump set up for now as the previous engines.

I expect to pick up about 5 MPH and get into the low 60's and with impeller and pump changes maybe the mid to upper 60's... what did the MR-1 Swap cost.. about $15K... and I did all the engineering and labor though my design parameters did not focus on top speed.. I am more interested in operational capability and reliability...

I now have SVO (360), SVHO (500) engine options in a 2500 lb boat... and on a long shot there is a guy that started Supertrapp that has modular 2,3, and 4 rotor wankels that he is building that should get to 800 HP reliable in your engine parameters... there is also an Australian company that builds billet modular rotary setups off the Mazda design... and you could also look a turboshaft engines diesel has more energy per unit volume than gas...

Last edited:
Scokill why would you say that I bought the wrong boat. Are you referring to the mods I’d like to do or the boat in general. If it’s the boat in general, I bought the best boat for the money. I did a ton of homework and found that the 255 FSH was by far the bang for the buck. Even the Scarab center console was more money but didn’t have as many features as the 255 FSH. Like I said earlier, I absolutely love the boat! I’ve already been offered $10k over what I paid from the dealer but I didn’t buy the boat to flip it. I’ll be keeping it for a long time. And to be honest, having 500 HP from the factory is great. Unfortunately, I’m one of those guys that just can’t leave a good thing alone.

If you’re referring to not getting your money out of upgrading the motors, well I totally agree. Biggest waste of money but, since I do t plan on selling it for a long time I’d like to make it faster. The funny thing is… no matter what boat I bought I’d still look to make it faster. That’s just the way I am - LOL!

That being said, back to the main reason I created the post. I’d still like to hear any good ideas on how to make it faster.

Based on the need/desire to go 70 mph. People spend thousands and thousands to get an extra 5 mph. Folks can certainly do what they want.

Based on the need/desire to go 70 mph. People spend thousands and thousands to get an extra 5 mph. Folks can certainly do what they want.
I kind of agree a 255 FSH is the wrong boat for 70 MPH offshore... not that you cant make it go 70 MPH but how much work is it gonna be and what problems will you have to solve along the way... there are plenty of offshore Center console fishing boats that will do 70MPH... count the number of 400+ HP engines hanging off the back... :cool:

Last edited:
Wow! This is the information I was hoping for. Guys… I really appreciate your time & information!

Riva Racing has a lot of engine upgrade parts/kits. I haven’t seen any kits/parts for my specific jet boat as they’re all for jetskis or wave runners but, they sell upgrade kits for 1.8L SVHO motors. It shouldn’t matter what the watercraft is, as long as it’s the same motor, right?

Thanks again!

Good luck and keep us posted (as in-start a thread on your performance mods and the results!). Lots of people want to try to make these boats go faster. Yes it will cost you a decent amount of money per MPH gained....but it helps the economy right? :cool:

In my opinion you won’t get the boat to go 70MPH but I wanna see you try. Let’s go! (and by “let’s” I mean I’m glad it’s your wallet and not mine but we’ll be happy to follow along. ?)

I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with. It sounds like getting close to 70 is possible with similar modifications to the SX195 thread posted earlier.

You mentioned wanting to shorten your trip 60 miles offshore. I took that as meaning 60 out and 60 back. That boat gets around 2.1mpg cruising at 30-32mph, so a 230 mile range if conditions are perfect. That gives you a bit less than half a tank of cushion if going 60 miles out and back.

To go 2.33 times as fast, you're looking at well under half of the MPG. Probably more like a quarter. Do you have plans for fuel capacity expansion?

I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with. It sounds like getting close to 70 is possible with similar modifications to the SX195 thread posted earlier.

You mentioned wanting to shorten your trip 60 miles offshore. I took that as meaning 60 out and 60 back. That boat gets around 2.1mpg cruising at 30-32mph, so a 230 mile range if conditions are perfect. That gives you a bit less than half a tank of cushion if going 60 miles out and back.

To go 2.33 times as fast, you're looking at well under half of the MPG. Probably more like a quarter. Do you have plans for fuel capacity expansion?

this is how I solved my fuel capacity issues for the repower... cause the new engines displaced the fuel tank...

attachment - 2022-03-06T133028.977.jpg

Attachments

• AR210 Ski Locker Dims P1.JPG
    AR210 Ski Locker Dims P1.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 10
  • AR210 Ski Locker Dims P2.JPG
    AR210 Ski Locker Dims P2.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 13
  • attachment - 2022-03-06T115205.900.jpg
    attachment - 2022-03-06T115205.900.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 13
Back