• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

LED lighting, phase 2

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I've made the regular LED upgrades to the boat, cup-holders, swim deck, etc. then I thought, ..how about the outsides ? Lets have look like she's in water all the time..
Green wasn't my first choice even tho its the color of our lake...kinda.

Local LEO explained to me the original intent was not completely "legal"..:(

1.jpg

2.jpg

That's cool, too bad you can't do it. How did you do the cup holders? Light rings or did you wire lights in the bottom?

@justason what lights did you use on the trailer? I've wanted to do this for years.. Just haven't pulled the trigger.

I bought the Alpena MAX LED off amazon ...The MAX are almost too bright. I also think it'll only take a few dips to leak into the LED strip, the junction between the wire/LED is a little suspect. May pot it in silicone goop. I had to replace my trailer lights so wiring them in was piece of cake.

The blue really did look awesome.......sniffle....I was torn between amber or green.....kinda looks like Xmas

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D1SWPS8/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks so good...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 38
I have the two lights for red/green markers and I put in LED ones, so ha, i win.
Looks awesome man! I want some!

Hope this isn't a high jack, but are the led cup holders difficult to install? I have read a ton of great info here, but nothing about installing the led cup holders.

So someone told you that blue lights wouldn't be legal?

@Julian My LEO neighbor made comment, questioned its application on a trailer vs a car....but i think we know how that'd play out. And I saw some kid get pulled over a few weeks ago on a BLUE lit moped... Google pops up a lot of hits, and it appears to be common throughout the states.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB0QFjAA&url=http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/PDF/BySection/Chapter_20/GS_20-130.1.pdf&ei=d9SiU6q9OIjuoAScqoCQDA&usg=AFQjCNG0sAWkoL3P3HXr2U5eNR5AVZKSng&bvm=bv.69411363,d.cGU

@billyb The cup-holders are a cinch. I ran a dedicated power switch from the dash around the perimeter of the boat to each cup holder. The cups I bought had a very lengthy wire that came with them, I Don't recall what gauge wire I used ... 18 maybe ?

Looks pretty cool. I gotta get some LEDs in the boat!

Hard to argue with LEO if he's got you pulled over, but from that legal document.....
As used in this subsection, unless the context requires otherwise, "blue light" means any forward facing blue light installed on a vehicle after initial manufacture of the vehicle; or an operable blue light which:... Is designed for use by an emergency vehicle, or is similar in appearance to a blue light designed for use by an emergency vehicle...
Yours is neither of those, so technically you should be fine. But I would carry that document with these lines highlighted if you want to keep running blue lights and don't mind getting pulled over for warnings :rolleyes:

Hard to argue with LEO if he's got you pulled over, but from that legal document.....

Yours is neither of those, so technically you should be fine. But I would carry that document with these lines highlighted if you want to keep running blue lights and don't mind getting pulled over for warnings :rolleyes:

Thanks, I took pause on that paragraph as well, but as you state, hard to argue on the side of the road, then add it trailering thru other states, toss in a CCW and it's just not that important -respect-
.........I guess I could try to outrun them with my diesel pulling the boat .... a combined length of 50 feet and some 6 tons.....:D...well lit and visible !

Never argue with a LEO on the side of the road. If you need to argue, go to court.

Time and place for everything.

@Julian My LEO neighbor made comment, questioned its application on a trailer vs a car....but i think we know how that'd play out. And I saw some kid get pulled over a few weeks ago on a BLUE lit moped... Google pops up a lot of hits, and it appears to be common throughout the states.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB0QFjAA&url=http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/PDF/BySection/Chapter_20/GS_20-130.1.pdf&ei=d9SiU6q9OIjuoAScqoCQDA&usg=AFQjCNG0sAWkoL3P3HXr2U5eNR5AVZKSng&bvm=bv.69411363,d.cGU

@billyb The cup-holders are a cinch. I ran a dedicated power switch from the dash around the perimeter of the boat to each cup holder. The cups I bought had a very lengthy wire that came with them, I Don't recall what gauge wire I used ... 18 maybe ?
Thanks for posting that ... That explained it for me. Before reading this post we ordered a blue drain plug light. Our next purchases will be changeable or another color. Thanks again for the info

Thanks for posting that ... That explained it for me. Before reading this post we ordered a blue drain plug light. Our next purchases will be changeable or another color. Thanks again for the info

A blue drain plug light should be fine as long as you don't turn it on while towing the boat down the road.

Most drain plug lights can't/shouldn't run very long out of water regardless.

I have never had a problem with my blue underwater light on the water but I am certain that blue lighting on my trailer would get me in trouble very quickly and rightfully so.

Back