• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Loss of thrust with my 210 FSH sport

Fish for Dinner

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have an issue that just started with me losing thrust. My boat will not go past 30 mph at about 6500rpm and it skips. I checked the clean out trays which had no water. Then I checked the propeller rod and it has some braid line on it. Could this be the issue? I’m hoping so.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Can you send some pics? Hard to be sure the braid line could be causing problems. I don't know what you mean by braid line though, how thick is it?

I'd certainly want to remove it regardless. Pulling the pump is really not hard if that's what you need to do.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If your not getting full RPM's then its engine related not Pump. Start with replacing the spark plugs, that is usually the cause.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
You have stuff wrapped around your impeller shaft and still ask us…. Come on lol. Pull the pump and clear anything there. Issue solved.

Fishing line around it is enough to slow you down. The fact you have braided line and doing 30 is impressive.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have an issue that just started with me losing thrust. My boat will not go past 30 mph at about 6500rpm and it skips. I checked the clean out trays which had no water. Then I checked the propeller rod and it has some braid line on it. Could this be the issue? I’m hoping so.
What exactly do you mean by “it skips”?
You checked the propeller rod-singular? Did you check them both?

@lazergeek has a great suggestion.
How about a bit more info on your boat, how many hours are on it?
Have you changed the plugs since new?
Have you checked the air filters for oil saturation?

And yes by all means clear the shaft of braided line.

Fish for Dinner

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Can you send some pics? Hard to be sure the braid line could be causing problems. I don't know what you mean by braid line though, how thick is it?

I'd certainly want to remove it regardless. Pulling the pump is really not hard if that's what you need to do.
I’ll send pics tomorrow. I’m getting my trailer light wiring fixed. The braided line is 30lb braid. I attempted to remove all of it before but some of it was too far back on the propeller rod. However, it was still operating as normal. It’s a 2021 210 fsh sport.

Fish for Dinner

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If your not getting full RPM's then its engine related not Pump. Start with replacing the spark plugs, that is usually the cause.
I’ll replace the plugs and see it that makes a difference. Thanks

Fish for Dinner

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
You have stuff wrapped around your impeller shaft and still ask us…. Come on lol. Pull the pump and clear anything there. Issue solved.

Fishing line around it is enough to slow you down. The fact you have braided line and doing 30 is impressive.
I removed most of the fishing line about a year ago but it was still operating normally. There was some braid up further that I couldn’t reach. I’ve never pulled the pump because I don’t know how. I just ordered the service manual to start doing some of this stuff myself. It’s too expensive to take to the shop.

Fish for Dinner

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

I have not changed the spark plugs since I bought it in April of 2021. The service manual does say how often to change it but talk about measuring the spark plug gap.

Fish for Dinner

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

The air filter is still clean. When I say it skips, I mean if I’m at 30 mph at full throttle, it will jump to 35mph quickly and then throttle back to 30 and do that intermittently. I also checked both impeller rods and only one of them have the 30lb braid a little further than I can reach.

David Martin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you actually feel the boat accelerate forward 5 mph or is it just the gauge electronically skipping around...........

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have not changed the spark plugs since I bought it in April of 2021. The service manual does say how often to change it but talk about measuring the spark plug gap.
I have had plugs fail after only 20 hours. I just replace every year now wether they need it or not.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I removed most of the fishing line about a year ago but it was still operating normally. There was some braid up further that I couldn’t reach. I’ve never pulled the pump because I don’t know how. I just ordered the service manual to start doing some of this stuff myself. It’s too expensive to take to the shop.
Lol

this is 100% your issue. You don’t need manual to pull pump, plenty of YouTube videos. It’s 10 bolts and it pops right out. May need pry bar from harbor freight to make it easy. I can pull a pump, clean fishing line and re-install in about 45 minutes.

bluntly speaking Id be more concerned your half-ass fix last year caused damage to impeller or wear ring.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Please answer those questions I asked so we can better assist you.

Fish for Dinner

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have had plugs fail after only 20 hours. I just replace every year now wether they need it or not.
I’ll try replacing them and see if that works. Thanks I’ll give an update. Stand by.

Fish for Dinner

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Do you actually feel the boat accelerate forward 5 mph or is it just the gauge electronically skipping around...........
Yes I actually feel the accceleration without me engaging in the throttle.

David Martin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That helps..........motor surge most can have many areas to address start with Air/throttle body ......sticky throttle body or electrically having problems followed by fuel....... pump surge or fuel injector electronic surge. Ground wires can be at fault on the above 3 and last spark plug/coils....the pickup coil on the main/charging system can give you problems you are describing. Bad grounds on any can give you headache!!!!! need a volt meter and the service manual will show you how and what voltages you need.

It is quite a list.......good luck

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The braided line is 30lb braid. I attempted to remove all of it before but some of it was too far back on the propeller rod.
I removed most of the fishing line about a year ago but it was still operating normally. There was some braid up further that I couldn’t reach.
I also checked both impeller rods and only one of them have the 30lb braid a little further than I can reach.

I mean, sure, go ahead and replace the spark plugs, since it's going on 3 years now, and if you're willing to put the effort in to do that, you're going to have to change them at some point in time anyway. That said, you've GOT to see the problem with wrapping a line around a spinning shaft and never completely removing the debris, right?

Continuing to operate your boat, knowing you still have something wrapped around the spinny thing that makes the boat go, is simply asking for larger problems, and if you're saying it's too expensive to take to a shop, imagine how expensive it is to leave braided line wrapped around your impeller, and the damage that could cause.

If things are too expensive to send to the repair shop, then "I don't know how to pull the pump" is something you should have looked into, don't you think? You thought to post about the loss of thrust, but you DIDN'T post or look at the threads on here, on YouTube, or other areas of the internet on how to pull the pump? That's an awful lot of faith that "I got the most of it" is going to be trouble-free and not cause you problems like, say, a loss of thrust, or "slipping".

You H-A-V-E to pull your pump and remove the rest of the line that you admit is still in there. I'm with @adrianp89 on this, the fact that you have verified that you have some line in there and STILL can hit 30 is a sheer stroke of luck that you (hopefully) may not have done any lasting damage to this point. THIS IS YOUR INDICATOR TO GET THAT OUT OF THERE, NO MATTER IF YOU REPLACE THE SPARK PLUGS OR NOT!