• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New ar210 leaking!

Reefdonkey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey guys, I need some suggestions.

We just got our ar210 (2.5 hours). It's been in the water 3 times, the last time we took it out we had 6 people on it and realized that we were taking on water from the anchor locker.

It soaked everything under the storage compartments all the way back to the stern. we had a half inch of salt water on the carpet under the port side storage and 3 inches of water in the ski locker.

The hole in the picture is the inside of the anchor locker, I can see water in between the shells.

Yamaha will fix it under warranty but Should I be concerned that I've had that much salt water stuck in the hull and running through these areas?

Thanks!

Attachments

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I see now that the hole is in the ski locker is there an exposed hole on the outside of the hull as well? That hole def doesn't look like it belongs there but there would really need to be a hole in the hull for that to be the cause of the leak. There should be a small hole in the anchor locker that drains overboard through a little plastic tube is that there? Also do you store your boat outside uncovered at all? If so it could be rain water.

Reefdonkey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I see now that the hole is in the ski locker is there an exposed hole on the outside of the hull as well? That hole def doesn't look like it belongs there but there would really need to be a hole in the hull for that to be the cause of the leak. There should be a small hole in the anchor locker that drains overboard through a little plastic tube is that there? Also do you store your boat outside uncovered at all? If so it could be rain water.
The hole is in the anchor locker, there isn't a tube that goes all the way through though. The hole is finished on the outside of the hull. I can actually fit my finger in the hole and feel between the shells of the boat.
I do keep it covered and the boat was dry before we took it out. I tasted the water to confirm it was salt.
I don't understand how they let a boat out of production with this kind of issue.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It is missing the fitting than connects the locker to the outer hull. Glad Yamaha is fixing. I'd also have them clean the boat while they are at it...ie rinse the Salt water out and the wet dry vac it and use driers and no damp to dry the boat. Not so much for the damage it might have done, mainly cuz all that water will leave salt behind....yuck. Bet they'll do it right if you ask.

Reefdonkey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you think it's (meaning the salt) is going to cause more issues down the road and premature corrosion? I'll be pushing for a replacement.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Guys - can we see better pics of the fitting? Does it open to the outside?
I can't picture it or figure it out...:confused:

Regarding the damage from salt water, I would not worry about it as long as it is in the storage compartments or the deck, not soaking the engine or electric. Flash it with fresh water. Enjoy.

--

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I will have to defer to @Brian eilrich for details. I will call him and have him respond.

Brian eilrich

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hi all new to this posting thing. But here goes

I bought one of the first 2017 212x boats and had the same issue no salt water but a lot of water in the same areas as your boat. The dealer has had the boat for 2 months and it still is not done. The marina feels there is a cracked fitting between the locker and drain fitting. I'm not convinced that's the problem. After finding the water I looked over all the boats they had on the floor. Only to discover all the boats had the drain fitting go all the way into the anchor locker. Except the 2017 21 foot boats all of those including mine stoped short. Leaving a gap between the locker and fitting. I don't think the issue will fe fixed by putting a new fitting in unless it is longer and makes a seal in the locker. I also believe this will be a problem for a lot of 2017 21 foot boats I was told last week it should be done soon I will report back after they tell me it's done. Although I won't know if it's fixed until spring when I can get it back in the water. Hope this helps

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I still can't quite picture it. Here is mine from the outside:
upload_2016-12-8_22-24-47.png

I had to go out to get a close-up but the boat is covered, so no inside pics:
upload_2016-12-8_22-25-32.png

Is this the source of water intrusion under way?
I don't have a good picture of it, but this drain is way above the water line
upload_2016-12-8_22-39-35.png

--

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
This is the best picture I have. As Brian stated, it appears the tube does not go from the outside into the locker. So when you come off plane, the nose dips and water is forced in and goes between the two molded shells. However, we have not heard what the official Yamaha response has been so we might not have it correct.
IMG_5841.JPG

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Also, if your guest decide to all pile into the bow while you are driving no wake, that drain can go under water a lot. Leaks there with early models were common. Having no connection at all is something new! Should be pretty easy to fix....with the right size inner part and length of connector.

skrip345

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
How accessible is the interior part of the hull there? Can you reach it from a cup holder or speaker opening?

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@OUT ON THE REEF, you're a pretty smart guy! Really good job with the root cause analysis, and an amazing job demonstrating the problem. It's not easy making these types of videos, and you're a great guy for sharing your knowledge. I'm pretty sure that my 24 footer has a two-piece (inner flange and outer flange) anchor locker drain, but I'm not near my boat to verify this right now. The reason that I mention this is that those with this leak issue may wish to investigate whether the 24' hull fitting could be a better fix for this problem. I don't know why, but I have a sudden urge to watch a western or rob a bank.

Last edited:

Reefdonkey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Reefdonkey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi all new to this posting thing. But here goes

I bought one of the first 2017 212x boats and had the same issue no salt water but a lot of water in the same areas as your boat. The dealer has had the boat for 2 months and it still is not done. The marina feels there is a cracked fitting between the locker and drain fitting. I'm not convinced that's the problem. After finding the water I looked over all the boats they had on the floor. Only to discover all the boats had the drain fitting go all the way into the anchor locker. Except the 2017 21 foot boats all of those including mine stoped short. Leaving a gap between the locker and fitting. I don't think the issue will fe fixed by putting a new fitting in unless it is longer and makes a seal in the locker. I also believe this will be a problem for a lot of 2017 21 foot boats I was told last week it should be done soon I will report back after they tell me it's done. Although I won't know if it's fixed until spring when I can get it back in the water. Hope this helps
Have you spoke to Yamaha about it? It's ridiculous that you're paying for a NEW boat and it's in the shop for 2 months. Even if you can't take it out due to weather.

Reefdonkey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I still can't quite picture it. Here is mine from the outside:
View attachment 49122

I had to go out to get a close-up but the boat is covered, so no inside pics:
View attachment 49123

Is this the source of water intrusion under way?
I don't have a good picture of it, but this drain is way above the water line
View attachment 49124

--
That's it, mine look like that on the outside but is just an unfinished hole on the inside. The tube doesn't go all the way through.