• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Nose cone greasing and other things (picture heavy)

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
250 hours on my motors and I decided I was well overdue to pull the pumps and grease the nose cone bearings. I believe this is something that's supposed to be done every 100 hours. Took about two hours from start to finish and I went really slow trying to be methodical as possible. Some surprises and lessons along the way:
  • This was my first time ever pulling my pumps out and I'm glad I did it with a full array of tools available and not attempting it at a boat landing after sucking up a rope. The bolts for both pumps were really tight and I had to use an impact on two of them on the port pump.
  • Both cones were about 1/3 full of grease. STBD pump cone had a few drops of water in it. I was happy to see that, even with 250 hours on the original grease, the bearings were still in fine shape.
  • No chips were found on my impellers but it appears I have some (or at least what I believe to be) burn on the bow side of the impellers. I **think** this is from surfing with a ton of water weight and the impellers creating super heated water on the edges that it's actually melting the metal. It's interesting to note that I've never felt any performance degradation on either pump. Port pump had the burns on all three blade and STBD only on one. Either way, I'll be replacing them at the end of the season.
  • I found the easiest way to reline the pump splines back into the engine was to hold the pump assembly with my left hand and turn the impeller (while reaching around the back) and slightly turn the impeller until I could feel it line up, then slightly pushing the shaft into the splines to get it to set.
  • I FOUND THE RATTLE in my pumps too - the damn anode bracket was broken my STBD pump - that's been driving me nuts for a long time, I can't believe I never noticed it before. If you have a rattle in your pumps at low speed, check your brackets. @Cobra Jet Steering LLC I believe these offset brackets are from your kit - how much are replacements?
  • Parts I used for my 2020 with 1.8l:
Pump pulled, bearings exposed, and old grease:
IMG_1846.jpeg
IMG_1852.jpeg
IMG_1853.jpeg

Burning/melting on impellers:
IMG_1849.jpeg
IMG_1850.jpeg
IMG_1851.jpeg

Broken anode bracket
IMG_1848.jpeg
IMG_1847.jpeg

250 hours on my motors and I decided I was well overdue to pull the pumps and grease the nose cone bearings. I believe this is something that's supposed to be done every 100 hours. Took about two hours from start to finish and I went really slow trying to be methodical as possible. Some surprises and lessons along the way:
  • This was my first time ever pulling my pumps out and I'm glad I did it with a full array of tools available and not attempting it at a boat landing after sucking up a rope. The bolts for both pumps were really tight and I had to use an impact on two of them on the port pump.
  • Both cones were about 1/3 full of grease. STBD pump cone had a few drops of water in it. I was happy to see that, even with 250 hours on the original grease, the bearings were still in fine shape.
  • No chips were found on my impellers but it appears I have some (or at least what I believe to be) burn on the bow side of the impellers. I **think** this is from surfing with a ton of water weight and the impellers creating super heated water on the edges that it's actually melting the metal. It's interesting to note that I've never felt any performance degradation on either pump. Port pump had the burns on all three blade and STBD only on one. Either way, I'll be replacing them at the end of the season.
  • I found the easiest way to reline the pump splines back into the engine was to hold the pump assembly with my left hand and turn the impeller (while reaching around the back) and slightly turn the impeller until I could feel it line up, then slightly pushing the shaft into the splines to get it to set.
  • I FOUND THE RATTLE in my pumps too - the damn anode bracket was broken my STBD pump - that's been driving me nuts for a long time, I can't believe I never noticed it before. If you have a rattle in your pumps at low speed, check your brackets. @Cobra Jet Steering LLC I believe these offset brackets are from your kit - how much are replacements?
  • Parts I used for my 2020 with 1.8l:
Pump pulled, bearings exposed, and old grease:
View attachment 224212
View attachment 224218
View attachment 224219

Burning/melting on impellers:
View attachment 224215
View attachment 224216
View attachment 224217

Broken anode bracket
View attachment 224214
View attachment 224213
Good post.

Cavitation is causing your impeller blade to look like that. I see it in the pumps I work on daily.

Cavitation is causing your impeller blade to look like that. I see it in the pumps I work on daily.
I've never noticed any cavitation *except* when at WOT and surfing with a full load, so that must be the culprit. Do you think upgrading to a different impeller, or duel impellers, would help with the issue?

I'm getting ready to pull my pumps this weekend 2013 SX240 I fairly sure I won't find what you are seeing..........WOW you are pushing your stock equipment to and in some cases, past it's design limit. The Epnoc grease looks normal color in the middle but around the edges appears to have been burnt from heat past it's Drip Point.

Epnoc has a drip point of 190C or 383F go too far past this and it burns like around the edges I see in your cone. It does make sense as hard as you are pushing your jets that the bearings would be hotter than most of us see. Also was their water intrusion in your bearings it looks wet?

My 2013 takes Type A EP Yamaha grease in my cone and bearings and even in the midshaft bearings. Type A has a 475 F drip point..... I don't think it would matter on my boat Type A or Epnoc....... newer boats switched to Epnoc in the cone. Just trying to rap my head around your pushed to the limit bearing temps............and if you might not be better off with a higher drip point temp grease............I can say any grease or oil that gets burnt loses its ability to lubricate.

Good luck and keep us posted!

I've never noticed any cavitation *except* when at WOT and surfing with a full load, so that must be the culprit. Do you think upgrading to a different impeller, or duel impellers, would help with the issue?
The cavitation is so minimal that you’re not noticing it(fairly common). It’s sucking air from somewhere, maybe the intake grate needs new sealant, dunno. At this point I would keep running it the way it is, just check things over and try one fix at a time so you know what actually “fixes” it.

Back