• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Opinion on mooring a yamaha jet boat in salt water

ramaudio

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, looking at a 2013 Yamaha AR192 and it would be moored off the coast of Boston in saltwater. I read a lot of threads about carring for the motor while in salt water but most of it was flushing and other prevent stuff. obviously for the season it would be in the water the entire time.

Any specific do's or dont's?

I'm pretty new to boats so any help is appreciated!

-Ryan

Most do not recommend wet slipping a jet boat in salt water for a whole season. It can be done, but requires more work.

As julian said it can be done. Its not much different than any other boat with a stern drive. Your usual items need to be done like paint the bottom and antifoul all the jet components. Keep up on zincs. Some of the engines have zincs in the engines themselves that will need to be kept up with. The engine block self drains like an outboard. You can flush the motors after each use. A regular monthly haul out is a good idea since it will be hard to keep antifoulant from wearing away inside the drive. You can try something like prop-speed inside the drive area.

Can you get a lift ?

I would get a lift if possible.

Yeah....the quick list that comes to mind is:
  1. Bottom paint/anti fouling paint
  2. Shut off valves to allow in water engine flushing and keeping salt out once flushed
  3. May want think about how you handle the pumps themselves....paint them?

I keep my boat in a wet slip on fresh water, and I invested in an airdock. Without it, the boat would grow so much algae on it, the top speed would drop from 48 to 35!!!

I was looking at the owners manual for your boat and I did not see it mentioned there to not leave the boat in the water. In my manual it states to not leave the boat in the water. Just saw the post below about a guy who left his boat in the water over winter.. doesn’t look like a good idea.

I am sure you have good reason to want to wetslip, but I will be prepared to write off the vessel in sonnet than expected. And the headache of pulling out for maintenance will be a nightmare

Yeah....the quick list that comes to mind is:
  1. Bottom paint/anti fouling paint
  2. Shut off valves to allow in water engine flushing and keeping salt out once flushed
  3. May want think about how you handle the pumps themselves....paint them?

I keep my boat in a wet slip on fresh water, and I invested in an airdock. Without it, the boat would grow so much algae on it, the top speed would drop from 48 to 35!!!
The shut-off valves would be for the cooling water intakes (same that you'd pinch off for towing), correct? When those are shut off, flushing would occur through the flush intakes and would then go out the pisser or somewhere else?

The shut-off valves would be for the cooling water intakes (same that you'd pinch off for towing), correct? When those are shut off, flushing would occur through the flush intakes and would then go out the pisser or somewhere else?
Correct.....the shut off valves would prevent water from coming in through the jet pump intakes when the engine is running. Instead, you'd have a hose connected to the flush port and this would flush the salt water out of the engine. Water would flow out through the pump drain, exhaust and pissers. Then shut off the water, shut off the engine and leave the valves closed and the only salt would be in the last part of the exhaust box. Although I wonder how far water flows up from the pump drain in the transom??? Never looked at the angles on that piping.....assume it would back flow a little? You'd want some SERIOUS WARNING flag on the steering wheel to OPEN the shut off valves before you drive it the next time!!!!

Last edited:
Correct.....the shut off valves would prevent water from coming in through the jet pump intakes when the engine is running. Instead, you'd have a hose connected to the flush port and this would flush the salt water out of the engine. Water would flow out through the pump drain, exhaust and pissers. Then shut off the water, shut off the engine and leave the valves closed and the only salt would be in the last part of the exhaust box. Although I wonder how far water flows up from the pump drain in the transom??? Never looked at the angles on that piping.....assume it would back flow a little? You'd want some SERIOUS WARNING flag on the steering wheel to OPEN the shut off valves before you drive it the next time!!!!
Has anyone setup servo-driven valves to control from the helm? Maybe I have a project...

Seen people talk about it....not sure anyone ever did.
Interesting. All the installs I’ve seen are in the clean out tray, has anyone installed them in the engine bay itself?

Interesting. All the installs I’ve seen are in the clean out tray, has anyone installed them in the engine bay itself?
I've seen a mix of installs, either under the clean out tray or right at the back of the engine bay. Depends on the year/model and where they put the Y connection for the flush line.

if you do Moore the boat I would recommend the following:
- Add a second bilge pump and locate under the cleanout port hatch.
- Add a second battery or a solar panel charger or both

Back