• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Shoreland'r Really Cheaps Out, Don't They?

Guitarjesus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My Sx190 dry weight on the trailer is 3047, with a full tank of gas and supplies it easily pushes a good 3400. The original tires are bias ply with a 1710 weight limit per tire. That puts it at max right there. Is that an issue? Or is this more of a liability thing and the tires can easily exceed that range by a couple hundred pounds? It's what made me want to upgrade to 14" wheels and tires so I can get a little higher speed rating and load rating.

YoDaddy292

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One of my first "mods" was to replace those thin-ass bias ply tires with radials. Yeah, in general these Shoreland'r's for Yamahas just have an overall flimsy feel to them. The twin axle that comes with the 210's are 14" rims. Seems weird that they would use a SMALLER wheel size on a single axle.

Guitarjesus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
One of my first "mods" was to replace those thin-ass bias ply tires with radials. Yeah, in general these Shoreland'r's for Yamahas just have an overall flimsy feel to them. The twin axle that comes with the 210's are 14" rims. Seems weird that they would use a SMALLER wheel size on a single axle.
Yeah, I'm debating whether I get lift blocks for the leaf spring center mount, or put 2x6's cut up under the wheel well steps to just lift them.

Oh, and the Carlisle bias ply tires are 4 ply, not 8 ply. Good god.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don't forget not 100% of the weight is on tires. There is a few hundred on the tongue

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don't forget not 100% of the weight is on tires. There is a few hundred on the tongue
Agreed.

3,400 is heavy for an SX190. My AR190, with a full tank of fuel, a tower, and all our stuff for a day on the lake scaled at 3,160. The tower alone is around 100lbs (took 2 guys to get mine off, but wasn't absurdly heavy), I'm guessing the brackets and hardware are another 40-50.

Here's my scale tickets and calculations.

Tongue weight was 340lbs on mine. So 2,820 on the tires, or 1,410 per tire. Assuming a 1,710 limit for each that's ~20% overhead. I wouldn't call that "cheaping out" myself.

With that said, the move to radials was huge for me. They ran smoother, and cooler than my bias plies. I also lost two radials in a single day a couple weeks ago, soooo.......My opinion is any well maintained tire is best, regardless of radial vs bias ply.

Guitarjesus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My opinion is any well maintained tire is best, regardless of radial vs bias ply.
100% Although in high heat, pretty sure radials are better on the roads, and across the SoCal desert, it gets as high as 135°f.

And for about a 10 premium per tire, and per wheel, I can get 15" wheels and tires, Vision Marine Heavy Haulers that are actually the same outside diameter as the 13" wheel and tire. Win win. No lift needed.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
100% Although in high heat, pretty sure radials are better on the roads, and across the SoCal desert, it gets as high as 135°f.

And for about a 10 premium per tire, and per wheel, I can get 15" wheels and tires, Vision Marine Heavy Haulers that are actually the same outside diameter as the 13" wheel and tire. Win win. No lift needed.
Oh, I agree, the premium to get into a good Radial is well worth it.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I think most people have had very good experience with Goodyear Endurance radials, the speed rating at full load is 87 mph Endurance® Trailer Tire Tires | Goodyear Tires

It does look like you’d have to go up to 14” tires which is what my boat trailer came with.

I can tell you that these Endurance radial are so much smoother than the stock bias ply tires.

Here’s the deal in my opinion, yeah Yamaha “stuff” may not be top shelf, bow roller that can leave marks, non sealed trailer lights, bargain basement stereo systems, un finished fiberglass in hidden places etc… but all of those things together keep the cost down and bang for the buck yiu can’t beat these boats for getting folks out on the water and having fun, kinda like what Bayliner did in the 80’s, I still see those 80‘s vintage boats around with folks out on the water having fun and making memories.