• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

show off your guns here(fire arms)

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
How long do the background checks usually take to comeback? I know they can take up to three days but what's the real average? I have only ever purchased from shows so I have never gone through a dealer or retailer.
In Texas, its about three minutes...

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How long do the background checks usually take to comeback? I know they can take up to three days but what's the real average? I have only ever purchased from shows so I have never gone through a dealer or retailer.
Does your state have a waiting period. Background checks should be almost instant.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No waiting period in SC. Thanks guys wanted to try and grab a new riffle.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
No waiting period in SC. Thanks guys wanted to try and grab a new riffle.
You don't have a wait for handguns? We don't have a wait for rifles or shotguns but handguns if you don't have a CC.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not a gun owner but wanted to answer the question from a California law perspective and am not surprised but disappointed in what I found.

Summary of main points.
1. The background check by the DOJ may take up to 30 days.
2. There is mandatory 10 day waiting period regardless of how long the background check takes.
3. Only one hand gun may be purchased every 30 days.

Here is a link to the states FAQ on the subject.

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs

BakedZiti

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Depends on the state I think. Here in GA it takes about 15 mins

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You don't have a wait for handguns? We don't have a wait for rifles or shotguns but handguns if you don't have a CC.
Yeah in South Carolina we do not have a waiting period for hand Guns or rifles.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NC is dumb. I had to wait 47 days to *get* an appt for the background check. Then wait 13 days afterwards before I was able to obtain purchase permits. Took my CCH class 2 weeks ago, and the first available appt for that is in Feb. So, maybe by March I'll have it. Good thing is, you don't need purchase permits anymore once you have your CCH here.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My Dad and I spent Black Friday the fun way!
IMG_2903.JPG
IMG_2907.JPG

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Quail Creek

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In PA there's no waiting. Takes all of 5 minutes for the FFL to call it in.

Back in the day (80s) there was a 3 day waiting period.

elcue

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
In Jersey you have to apply for a permit for every handgun. That typically takes 4-6 weeks to get back. Once you have the permit you go buy the handgun and they do the NICS background check that sometimes takes 20min and sometimes a couple hours. We too can only purchase a handgun every 30 days. For rifles/shotguns once your have your firearms ID card you can buy those at any time and just have to wait for the NICS process.

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here is my latest purchase, Benjamin Trail NP2 .22 cal pellet rifle. OK OK... I realize it's not an AR but it's still fun to target shoot. Can't wait to take out a squirrel or two with it.20161128_124316.jpg

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here in WI it took 'em about 20 min for my background check when I bought my 1911 this past June. The guy said he's seen them come back as quickly as 20 minutes and also take several hours. "It Depends" apparently.

Back in the late 90's when I bought my Mark II pistol I lived in MI. There was a mandatory 3 day waiting period. Then after purchase, I had to bring it to the local Police Department to register it. (You could buy a long gun with no wait and not have to register it.) You walked out with a little green registration card that you had to keep with you if you had the weapon in your possession. This was NOT a permit to carry. You still had to keep it unloaded, locked in a case, and in the trunk of your car.

My buddy was from Flint and they fingerprinted him when he registered his. They even put the fingerprint ON the registration. I was living in Farmington Hills at the time and they didn't require fingerprinting.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So as long as we're talking about it... ;)

I'd love to take my 1911 to the In-Laws in MI (I live in WI) for some target shooting when we visit them for New Years but I don't know if that's legal. Does MI still have a mandatory registry? What do out-of-town folds do? Just don't bring it? (I don't have a CCW right now but plan to get one.) How about long guns? (.22 rifle)

Of course, to get from point A to point B I'd be traveling on the Interstate through Illinois (can avoid Chicago City Limits by taking 294) and Indiana.

If someone could point me to where I could find the answer to this I'd appreciate it. I've been out of the "gun world" for a while (and never had to deal with this interstate stuff in the first place).

I'm more interested in finding a reliable source than being "told" the answer. Much easier to site chapter and verse to the Officer than to tell him you're working off of information you got from a person you know on the internet... :cool:

I have no desire to just "chance it" either. With my luck I'd get hit in the rear by someone at a stop light and my pistol case would be the first thing to come flying out of the back of my vehicle. I don't want to go shooting so badly that I'm O.K. with hearing the sound of silver bracelets closing around my wrists.

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So as long as we're talking about it... ;)

I'd love to take my 1911 to the In-Laws in MI (I live in WI) for some target shooting when we visit them for New Years but I don't know if that's legal. Does MI still have a mandatory registry? What do out-of-town folds do? Just don't bring it? (I don't have a CCW right now but plan to get one.) How about long guns? (.22 rifle)

Here's a couple of links that might help.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150101/guide-to-the-interstate-transportation

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/gun-travel-transporting-handgun-united-states/

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The wait in Alaska is none. I've consistently had background checks done in under 5 min. And here's one of my favorite phrases I hear every time I am filling out the form to buy a gun in Alaska, this from the salesman, "Sir, is this the only gun you will be purchasing today"? I asked the salesman if there is any limit to how many guns I could buy and his response was, "You can buy the whole store"!