• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Show us what you see!!!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Little one learned how to change brake pads today

20220113_163601.jpg

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Coldest morning dog walk in a few year’s.

28E86A83-4038-4CB5-B933-E432C0CAC6F4.jpeg

41EF5528-E6B1-4CB2-A2FC-58F50DF5F904.jpeg

20220115_110152.jpg

Good day to keep the animals inside, put another log on the fire and

C1615871-954F-4C4D-891F-46FA07BEF883.jpeg

read and watch videos. Then take a quiz...studying to get my OUPV 6-pack captain's license.

E7DA8620-5E5D-4289-A63F-F9B2AE50F8B9.jpeg

Edit:

20220115_142321.jpg

I need to do something constructive while inside this Winter.

Last edited:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I saw this while sitting in traffic last night. Thought he was towing a jet ski at first but realized he was headed to or coming from a track. It’s the first time I’ve seen springs on a trailer. Not sure why but wish my trailers had shocks or struts instead of leaf springs.
9983183D-EAB2-46DA-B9FE-7954CB5AC77B.jpegDC4717E5-CB22-4741-AD86-102BBC08913E.jpeg

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Coldest morning dog walk in a few year’s.

View attachment 169705

View attachment 169704

View attachment 169711

Good day to keep the animals inside, put another log on the fire and

View attachment 169707

read and watch videos. Then take a quiz...studying to get my OUPV 6-pack captain's license.

View attachment 169706

Edit:

View attachment 169740

I need to do something constructive while inside this Winter.
No kidding...

We only got down to 2-3deg but it was enough...lol.

How to find poorly insulated pipes in your home?

Wait for a 3deg cold snap.

Call a plumber.
1642479982453.jpeg
1642480008231.jpeg
1642480034518.jpeg

Of course - being me, it'll always happen over a holiday weekend, lol.

--

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
No kidding...

Call a plumber.
View attachment 169806
View attachment 169807
View attachment 169808

--
I have seen my share of split copper due to freezing. It is common for water lines run along the boxer, the 2" x 10" boards that seal off the floor joists on the outside of the house, to freeze. Mine were in an insulated space in the ceiling of the garage run along that boxer and they froze on a -20° night. Once fixed, I left the 5/8" sheetrock off along the pipe run to allow heat from the garage to keep it above freezing. Patched more copper in the barns than I can remember and they are heat traced. Something always happens. I try to use PEX now, it is more forgiving in a freeze up.

We have had to do it once and I swore I would never do it again...Do not call a plumber on a holiday weekend. Our call once on a Thanksgiving Thursday for a clogged kitchen sink drain that my snake could not reach was $300. He was there a 1/2 hour. I bought a better snake after that.

Last edited:

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No kidding...

Call a plumber.

--
I've got that same Milwaukee tubing cutter, sweet for when you need to remove a lot of old copper, now it just sits around waiting for someone else to have plumbing problems since I've gone to PEX for everything.

Something for you to consider, they make push-to-fit or quick-connect fittings (Sharkbite is the most well-known brand) that you could easily keep on hand for something just like this. Turn your water off, cut out the bad section(s), put a fitting on each side of the removed section, and connect with a small piece of PEX. That'd get you through at least until a time when more reasonable rates would apply, and it wouldn't take up hardly any room. 1/2" straight couplings and perhaps an elbow or two, along with 2-5' of PEX is easy to stow in a corner somewhere until such a situation arises. Then when the reasonable rates apply, just have him return your fittings and PEX pieces to you.

Somehow, it's for the boat! 😂

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Looking out over the Lake after yesterdays snow I can see a couple of things that are usually difficult to see.

20220118_092250.jpg

That little white dot is the foundation for the Old Colchester Reef Light House that now resides at the Shelburne Museum next to the Steamship Ticonderoga.

20220118_092227.jpg

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
20220114_084639(1).jpg

Ugh, I just got this body back from the shop. They did not set the hydraulics correctly. It ripped the knuckle right out of the ram.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have seen my share of split copper due to freezing. It is common for water lines run along the boxer, the 2" x 10" boards that seal off the floor joists on the outside of the house, to freeze. Mine were in an insulated space in the ceiling of the garage run along that boxer and they froze on a -20° night. Once fixed, I left the 5/8" sheetrock off along the pipe run to allow heat from the garage to keep it above freezing. Patched more copper in the barns than I can remember and they are heat traced. Something always happens. I try to use PEX now, it is more forgiving in a freeze up.

We have had to do it once and I swore I would never do it again...Do not call a plumber on a holiday weekend. Our call once on a Thanksgiving Thursday for a clogged kitchen sink drain that my snake could not reach was $300. He was there a 1/2 hour. I bought a better snake after that.
Sadly, I'm on the hook for a couple grand I figured, as this was a boiler line for heating - half of my house has floorboards, so the whole system needed to be drained, twice (there were three cracks spaced few feet apart, we only found two - at first..lol). It was fun. He ended up spending a good part of Lord's Day with us. That's gonna hurt, I don;t even want to look at that bill when we get it!
Oh, well, at least he's a nice guy. I'm having him replace the whole system with a tankless heating and hot water, once it gets warm.

--

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Sadly, I'm on the hook for a couple grand I figured, as this was a boiler line for heating - half of my house has floorboards, so the whole system needed to be drained, twice (there were three cracks spaced few feet apart, we only found two - at first..lol). It was fun. He ended up spending a good part of Lord's Day with us. That's gonna hurt, I don;t even want to look at that bill when we get it!
Oh, well, at least he's a nice guy. I'm having him replace the whole system with a tankless heating and hot water, once it gets warm.

--
We were on vacation once on a cruise in Febuary 1995. We were in a different house then that we built in 1990 on a piece of land I owned after moving back from Florida. The plumber installed the S/R copper heating lines to the second floor in the exterior wall in the kitchen, behind the cabinets. Before we left we did not adjust the T stat to keep heated water moving to the second floor. Only the first floor heating was working. Well that upstairs loop froze in that exterior wall behind the cabinets. The weather then warmed, we were still gone, and the frozen line thawed and dumped 8" of water on the basement floor by the time we got home. A 44'x 24' area. I had to tear apart the outside of the house, in Febuary, to get to the piping and fix it.

Edit: I really do like the 151kbtu Bosch Greenstar condensing combi boiler that we had installed in this house in November. Much more efficient than our 20yo HB Smith boiler. The Bosch is very quiet and works very nicely plumbed to a heat exchanger fed from the outdoor wood boiler. I really like the adjustability of the aquastat that allows you to turn the temperature down so you don't need to heat water to 180°'s when you are not heating during Summer. I can adjust temp to 120° or below for domestic hot water needs during warmer months. The aquastat will also shut the gas burner off if you need to.

20220119_154444.jpg

It has separate controls for heating and domestic on demand hot water.

20220119_154532.jpg

That is the temp of the boiler at idle. No T stats are calling for heat and circulators are not actively pulling heat from the heat exchanger from the outdoor boiler.

Last edited:

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We were on vacation once on a cruise in Febuary 1995. We were in a different house then that we built in 1990 on a piece of land I owned after moving back from Florida. The plumber installed the S/R copper heating lines to the second floor in the exterior wall in the kitchen, behind the cabinets. Before we left we did not adjust the T stat to keep heated water moving to the second floor. Only the first floor heating was working. Well that upstairs loop froze in that exterior wall behind the cabinets. The weather then warmed, we were still gone, and the frozen line thawed and dumped 8" of water on the basement floor by the time we got home. A 44'x 24' area. I had to tear apart the outside of the house, in Febuary, to get to the piping and fix it.
Similar thing happened to us while on a cruise. Came home to the whole main level needing gutted due to broken water line. The only good part was we had friends checking in on the house while we were gone & they shut the water off, called a cleanup crew in and most of the work was done when we got home. Cabinets were out, flooring was out, drywall from floor to 2' up was out, insulation was out and there were so many industrial fans and dehumidifiers going it was just crazy. It gave me a chance to install new windows, rewire and reinsulate with better insulation on the whole main level.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Edit: I really do like the 151kbtu Bosch Greenstar condensing combi boiler that we had installed in this house in November. Much more efficient than our 20yo HB Smith boiler. The Bosch is very quiet and works very nicely plumbed to a heat exchanger fed from the outdoor wood boiler. I really like the adjustability of the aquastat that allows you to turn the temperature down so you don't need to heat water to 180°'s when you are not heating during Summer. I can adjust temp to 120° or below for domestic hot water needs during warmer months. The aquastat will also shut the gas burner off if you need to.

View attachment 169889

It has separate controls for heating and domestic on demand hot water.

View attachment 169890

That is the temp of the boiler at idle. No T stats are calling for heat and circulators are not actively pulling heat from the heat exchanger from the outdoor boiler.
Good info, thank you.
I may need to stick with whatever my guy is selling though, if we go that route. He only deals with one or two brands, one is Navien which is not the best but okay, offers some units with good track record.
I want something that plugs into a regular 110V outlet which is hard to find as most units in those sizes need to be hard wired. I could run it off of a small generator if need be, hit by a hurricane, or something.

--

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Good info, thank you.
I may need to stick with whatever my guy is selling though, if we go that route. He only deals with one or two brands, one is Navien which is not the best but okay, offers some units with good track record.
I want something that plugs into a regular 110V outlet which is hard to find as most units in those sizes need to be hard wired. I could run it off of a small generator if need be, hit by a hurricane, or something.

--
I used to run our whole house on a 120v 30a feed, actually a 30a bkr trips at 80% capacity or 24a. That was with our 5kW Honda generator. Now I can run heating, some lights, tv and frigs on a 20a circuit, trips at 16a from a Honda 2.2KW in a power outage emergency. We did live "Off the Grid" for 9 years with the wind, sun and genset as our power supplies.

Mesa50

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Spartanburg, South Carolina Lake Hartwell/Keowee
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
Good info, thank you.

--
Our water heater popped while we were on vacation in October. We had the Navien brand tankless installed, and so far it has run flawlessly. It takes it a little longer to warm up than our old tank, but having endless hot water has been great! The dishwasher can be running and I still get a nice long hot shower. I’m considering having the recirculation valve added, so the hot water comes out instantly.