• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Talk to me about Buffalo, NY

I thought the same thing. I want wind from the north east, NOT from the southwest. Use the land like a windbreak right?

For a big lake like that, I would think so, but it can be just the opposite for smaller lakes, depending on the topography underwater as well. On my lake, or Lake Winnebago, for that matter, it's fairly shallow, so certain winds will just make it hell to go out, even if it's just a 10mph day. There's not much land break on our lake, but an east wind seems to generate the worst conditions on our lake, even with another lake to the east, and connected to ours (so no land break at all above water). There's a shallow area dividing the two lakes, and it seems to be the reason an east wind isn't too kind to us, letting the wind skate over those shallows and hit us a bit harder.

Depending on the season, it can suck too. Constant or heavy south winds bring us tons of ice up on shore, to the point of damaging some boathouses that are set back 15+ feet from the shore. Thankfully, that hasn't happened for a few years, but we have to fortify our shoreline periodically to avoid erosion damage from the ice.

For a big lake like that, I would think so, but it can be just the opposite for smaller lakes, depending on the topography underwater as well. On my lake, or Lake Winnebago, for that matter, it's fairly shallow, so certain winds will just make it hell to go out, even if it's just a 10mph day. There's not much land break on our lake, but an east wind seems to generate the worst conditions on our lake, even with another lake to the east, and connected to ours (so no land break at all above water). There's a shallow area dividing the two lakes, and it seems to be the reason an east wind isn't too kind to us, letting the wind skate over those shallows and hit us a bit harder.

Depending on the season, it can suck too. Constant or heavy south winds bring us tons of ice up on shore, to the point of damaging some boathouses that are set back 15+ feet from the shore. Thankfully, that hasn't happened for a few years, but we have to fortify our shoreline periodically to avoid erosion damage from the ice.
Mobile bay is shallow also and when the wind picks up its usually rougher than being out in the Gulf. It’s not too often that we are out there and if we are, most times its just crossing it to get to somewhere else.

Keep in mind “most” the boating happens on the river in Buffalo. For us is like cruise night-we typically launch at the small boat harbor cruse up the river to Tonawanda and dock at the pier and have lunch or dinner at the restaurants there (Dockside or Remington) or go around Grand Island (be sure you hug the U.S. side-the Canadian Border is very close to us in that area) . Often the river is relatively calm especially toward the afternoon and twilight hours.

Lake Erie is always a gamble for our boats under 23’ and not much to do unless your a sailboat or a cigarette boat (WOT!)

There are a lot of things to do and see on the River and is often navigable seas. The exception are near the bridges where the waters are always rough. (Consider trim tabs to lessen the rough ride in choppy waters)

I would encourage you to take an hour or so and trailer the boat to the Finger Lakes. Canandaigua and Skaneateles are our favorites.

Back