• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

The Vaccine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip F.

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Interesting short article:
I think this article sums up my feelings well about the whole "my liberty is being taken away cry"

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think this article sums up my feelings well about the whole "my liberty is being taken away cry"

Thanks for the article. I am glad that mandates are receiving pushback, but concede the need for some of them. I don't believe in a federal mandate and as the decision indicates all mandates should be tested before being imposed. I think the mandate should be for immunity thus include natural immunity. It seems to me 70 to 90 percent of the population will have Covid antibodies by the end the year one way or the other. I'm glad I got my vaccine because I think it's the best way to get the immunity (if that's the right term).

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Thought I would post an update. I am on my 9th day of quarantine (thank God) I cannot handle much more. I finally feel back to myself, my taste and smell are slightly back which is great. Some of those 9 days were not very pleasant, starts off rather mild and kicks in gear on day 5 or so. If I had to do it again I would probably have gotten the vaccine before I got covid...lol. My wife who was vaccinated and also tested positive, whom I believe gave me covid, only had 2 days oh symptoms

Last edited:

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thought I would post an update. I am on my 9th day of quarantine (thank God) I cannot handle much more. I finally feel back to myself, my taste and smell are slightly back which is great. Some of those 9 days were not very pleasant, starts off rather mild and kicks in gear on day 5 or so. If I had to do it again I would probably have gotten the vaccine before I got covid...lol.
Glad to hear that you are doing well!

At this point in time, it's super easy to get the vaccine, and there are very few reported side effects.

Hopefully, folks like you telling others their experiences will cause them to reconsider getting vaccinated.

Jim

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Some of the mandates I find most disturbing are the state-wide anti-mask and anti-passport mandates!

Local school districts should be free to "mask-up" if their locality thinks it wise and in the best interest of the children, especially since those under12 can not yet get vaccinated. Likewise, businesses (like cruise companies) should be able to use vaccine passports if it helps keeps their customers safer and their business afloat.

Jim

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Some of the mandates I find most disturbing are the state-wide anti-mask and anti-passport mandates!

Local school districts should be free to "mask-up" if their locality thinks it wise and in the best interest of the children, especially since those under12 can not yet get vaccinated. Likewise, businesses (like cruise companies) should be able to use vaccine passports if it helps keeps their customers safer and their business afloat.

Jim
fantastic point.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length

I won't argue that vaccines aren't important, but doesn't this whole "for the good of your neighbor" argument becoming more and more obsolete as we see vaccinated people spreading this virus just as readily as unvaccinated? Just recently there was an outbreak of covid in Massachusetts which has a 70% or better vaccination coverage. They say that 3/4 of the outbreak was among the vaccinated spreading it to each other. This outbreak and others is what lead the CDC to say vaccinated people need to wear masks to protect from spreading covid around. My point isn't that you shouldn't get vaccinated but that the vaccine isn't some hero move to protect others. In this case the vaccine is personal protection and therefore should be left to the person it is protecting to decide if they want to inject it. Just doesn't seem like the whole "I did it for you" argument tracks anymore and worse yet the judgement of others that if they don't get it they must hate people. Aren't we kind of talking out of two sides of your mouth by saying, get the vaccine to protect your neighbor but make sure you also use a mask cause the vaccine doesn't protect your neighbor. Again, get the vaccine, but shouldn't we at this point stop pretending that forcing other people to give up their choice is about protecting others. Isn't really just protecting themselves, and not from getting it but from dying from it?

Edited: to remove a previously started post about an article that I decided not to post, that stuck around on the top of this one.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I won't argue that vaccines aren't important, but doesn't this whole "for the good of your neighbor" argument becoming more and more obsolete as we see vaccinated people spreading this virus just as readily as unvaccinated? Just recently there was an outbreak of covid in Massachusetts which has a 70% or better vaccination coverage. They say that 3/4 of the outbreak was among the vaccinated spreading it to each other. This outbreak and others is what lead the CDC to say vaccinated people need to wear masks to protect from spreading covid around. My point isn't that you shouldn't get vaccinated but that the vaccine isn't some hero move to protect others. In this case the vaccine is personal protection and therefore should be left to the person it is protecting to decide if they want to inject it. Just doesn't seem like the whole "I did it for you" argument tracks anymore and worse yet the judgement of others that if they don't get it they must hate people. Aren't we kind of talking out of two sides of your mouth by saying, get the vaccine to protect your neighbor but make sure you also use a mask cause the vaccine doesn't protect your neighbor. Again, get the vaccine, but shouldn't we at this point stop pretending that forcing other people to give up their choice is about protecting others. Isn't really just protecting themselves, and not from getting it but from dying from it?

Edited: to remove a previously started post about an article that I decided not to post, that stuck around on the top of this one.
Great question and I don't have all the answers on these questions. What we do know is that those who are vaccinated or have immunity due to prior infection get less sick, don't need to go to the hospital and die less as a result. So the problem we are seeing is in states where vaccination rates are low, hospitals are full or filling due to the spread of the delta variant. So if more people were vaccinated, that load and death rate would drop.

So if you have a heart attack, and your ER is full and the staff are exhausted because they're full of Covid patients, I'd say - staying out of the ER is good for your neighbors. So I would argue that being vaccinated DOES help the community as a whole. Full and over run hospitals are BAD.....really BAD.

Also, I'm not aware of studies or data that tells us if vaccinated people spread less disease (might they-who knows). But since the CDC doesn't know - their new position is to say - wear a mask.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@MidnightRider, what you are missing is that most vaccinated people will never have symptoms, feel the need to be tested or become ill enough to spread the virus.

In my state of Arkansas the hospitals are full and the unvaccinated ~62% make up more than 90% of the hospitalizations, ICU usage, ventilator usage and deaths. If the entire state was vaccinated we would be using 1/3 the hospital resources and people who have car accidents, have a heart attack or need surgery would be receiving care. As is we are regularly sending patients several states away. There is a real cost to lack of vaccination that extends far beyond CoVID itself.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
What would be really cool (not sure if anyone has seen this) is a map that compares the below data (daily cases) against vaccination rates, or even better - hospitalizations against vaccination rates. I think that would tell the story.....do states with low vaccination rates have high hospital loads? (some states like Bruce's are clearly show this)
1628782156815.png

Troch1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

If you look at my prior post, you’ll recall that vaccinated people are 2-3x less likely to be infected by the Delta variant compared to unvaccinated people. That’s a big deal from a population perspective. That by itself negates your point as vaccinated can unvaccinated are NOT spreading at the same rates since they aren’t infected at the same rates.

Let’s not forget the 20x reduction in severe disease and mortality that Julian points out helps keep our healthcare system from imploding.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Glad to hear that you are doing well!

At this point in time, it's super easy to get the vaccine, and there are very few reported side effects.

Hopefully, folks like you telling others their experiences will cause them to reconsider getting vaccinated.

Jim
Sharing my experience.. I think that I did before, but i'll do it again. I am very athletic, I mountain bike 10+ miles a week, eat healthy, and am very muscular from weightlifting 6+ years. I spent the winter in Rio de janeiro, often without mask, and never got COVID. I tested before returning to the US and set up my appointment for the J&J. I saw my brother and mom, and then met my friend for drinks at a restaurant. My friend was sick just a few days later, but could've been from anyone because a lot of people go through his car wash. On the 6th day, my J&J vaccine was canceled like others nationwide, and on the 7th day of isolation, I woke up feeling crappy, and my fever was increasing. I knew that it had to be COVID because I don't think i've had a fever in my life. I had 102F fever for 5 days and breathing was very difficult (remember, my cardio is very good from biking). I'm sure I got it from my friend or the restaurant. A lot of people said to me "Oh, you had COVID? It was nothing, right? You're athletic!" and I always reply "It sucked! I've never been so sick and had trouble breathing" and that is enough to convince people to get vaccinated.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Sharing my experience.. I think that I did before, but i'll do it again. I am very athletic, I mountain bike 10+ miles a week, eat healthy, and am very muscular from weightlifting 6+ years. I spent the winter in Rio de janeiro, often without mask, and never got COVID. I tested before returning to the US and set up my appointment for the J&J. I saw my brother and mom, and then met my friend for drinks at a restaurant. My friend was sick just a few days later, but could've been from anyone because a lot of people go through his car wash. On the 6th day, my J&J vaccine was canceled like others nationwide, and on the 7th day of isolation, I woke up feeling crappy, and my fever was increasing. I knew that it had to be COVID because I don't think i've had a fever in my life. I had 102F fever for 5 days and breathing was very difficult (remember, my cardio is very good from biking). I'm sure I got it from my friend or the restaurant. A lot of people said to me "Oh, you had COVID? It was nothing, right? You're athletic!" and I always reply "It sucked! I've never been so sick and had trouble breathing" and that is enough to convince people to get vaccinated.
glad you are better, brother.

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

A note about the Massachusetts event. I was in that town during that time. It was Bear Week in Provincetown. A Bear is a heavy set, hairy, Gay man. While my wife, daughter, son in law, and I enjoyed our time the in town and on the beach, I guarantee there was much more than casual outdoor contact happening during those two weeks. I saw a few T shirts that said Vaccinated, Lubricated, and ready to be Penxxxxx. So I'm not sure that is a good example on normal spread between vaccinated people.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

Jim
Not one to usually quote my own thread, but I see I have a 'dislike' to my post. LOL, as this is my first 'dislike', I didn't know that was an option.

But seriously, I would like to hear a reply to my post (other than a dislike) from jawsf16. Even if we don't agree, we (the whole group) can have a civil discussion on differing points. I think this discussion on the vaccine, is probably one of the most civil discussions that I have seen on the internet, so there is no reason that it can't continue.

Jim

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not one to usually quote my own thread, but I see I have a 'dislike' to my post. LOL, as this is my first 'dislike', I didn't know that was an option.

But seriously, I would like to hear a reply to my post (other than a dislike) from jawsf16. Even if we don't agree, we (the whole group) can have a civil discussion on differing points. I think this discussion on the vaccine, is probably one of the most civil discussions that I have seen on the internet, so there is no reason that it can't continue.

Jim
Those mandates are a joke and are 100% to score political points. Our lame duck governor here signed one and it’s not even being enforced, which tells you the motivation.

Smaller government! Local control! Sure…:rolleyes:

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
It is great that they are not being enforced there. But look at other states where they are threatening withholding salary if they don't obey the mandate! Then they turn around and ask for more ventilators or out of state healthcare workers.

I 'm impressed by the healthcare workers that go to these highly unvaccinated regions to work. I know they pay a load of money, but I would not want to expose myself to the virus to that level, and also see so much self inflicted misery and death.

Status
Not open for further replies.