• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

We will transition the Forum to HTTPS Encryption on August 26th

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Recently we added a SSL Certificate to the forum and are using it for the SWAG order forms. The [USERGROUP=3]@Administrative[/USERGROUP] crew has been testing using the entire site via HTTPS encryption for the last ten days. We will transition the entire forum to using HTTPS on the 26th. This move may require you to re-login but that should be the only change to your usage of the forum.

Some of benefits of the transition will be;

Privacy - your communications with the forum will be encrypted from the computer or mobile device you are using all the way to our server.

Security - your username and password will be encrypted when they are exchanged.

Comfort for new registrants - the registration form will be encrypted providing the same level of comfort that they would have shopping at an online retailer.

Search engine ranking - Google ranks HTTPS content above unencrypted content.

This New York Times Blog Article goes into more detail if you would like to learn more about HTTPS http://open.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/11/13/embracing-https/?_r=0 .

If you would like to try using the forum via HTTPS before the 26th please click this link https://JetBoaters.net . Currently we are experiencing some issues with needing to re-login when switching from HTTPS to HTTP (unencrypted) content. These issues will go away once the entire site is moved to HTTPS.

Is this because of the Ashley Madison hack?

Is this because of the Ashley Madison hack?

Funny, but no.

We do keep up with security vulnerabilities and typically apply the fixes within hours of release.

I am uncertain what their vulnerability was but someone managed to download their entire database.

@Bruce manages our server back end and does an AMAZING job at it I must add!!!! THANK YOU BRUCE!!!

This change just keeps up up to date with the latest technology and security.....and as the Ashley Madison incident clearly shows....even a site that is https secured...there is someone willing to take the time to penetrate it (pardon the pun).

Is there a reason we are staying with SSL instead of jumping to TLS?
SSL is where many of the security vulnerabilities have been the last few years. Heartbleed, Poodle etc.

Is there a reason we are staying with SSL instead of jumping to TLS?
SSL is where many of the security vulnerabilities have been the last few years. Heartbleed, Poodle etc.

Please try it. I see TLS in Chrome. I am curious if you are seeing SSL in another browser?

I have no idea what HTTPS is (no need to try and explain) but thanks for all that you guys do to keep this site up to date and running flawlessly.

Being computer stupid, I will assume that this upgrade is being put in place to help hide the amount of time spent on this site from our wives and employers. Just kidding of course ;)

I take it that you are getting your certs signed correct?

Does Bruce keep the server in the bathroom too? :p

Does Bruce keep the server in the bathroom too? :p

Our "server" is a cloud instance at Digital Ocean.

My work servers and our backups live in this fairly secure facility.

SafeRoom.jpg

SafeRoom2.jpg

Of course I needed somewhere to keep the family as well so I built this on top of the servers.

IMG_0963.jpg

The house that was built around the servers! Love it! If it pays the bills I guess it makes sense....to guys anyway.

If the servers belong to the web site.....does that mean as members we can use the lake house whenever we like???:winkingthumbsup"

I have no idea what HTTPS is (no need to try and explain) but thanks for all that you guys do to keep this site up to date and running flawlessly.

Being computer stupid, I will assume that this upgrade is being put in place to help hide the amount of time spent on this site from our wives and employers. Just kidding of course ;)

This will help:

On that note, I should add that Hooters has many Servers - some of which I'm guessing might be insecure...:rolleyes:

a3503ef07cdc8651fc00b855fe1110a4.jpg

Can someone take away Glassman's picture posting privileges?

Can someone take away Glassman's picture posting privileges?

Good Lord. Not enough agree buttons available....

If anyone needs me I'll be in the corner of the basement by the sump pump scratching my eyeballs clean with a wire brush.

Don't wait up.

Back