• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Where can/can't I go in my 25' Yamaha jet boat?

EricB

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
SW Florida offers a lot in inland waterways. Futher off shore, there are a few recks for diving. Key west is within motoring distance.
But the impression I get is that these boats are not a first choice for weather, chop, and open seas.
I was reading through the posts here about a crossing to Bimini, and wondering what conditions or crossing take us out of the green and into the yellow in terms of pushing the limits on safety.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I make PATENTED aftermarket steering systems to help with all speeds and conditions not just at the dock The second tie rod also provides redundancy and balance in the steering. Plus loose the huge speed bleed off when making high speed turns.
Also plaining surfaces for smoother ride in chop and faster hole shot as well as cleaner wake for watersport activities and straight tracking in wind waves and current.
Enjoy continued control during rapid deceleration while turning, makes the boat more enjoyable even for the admiral to operate it with ease.
All without increasing the draft of your boat, plus providing adjustments so you get to choose the level of influence that suits your needs and personal preference.
All accomplished without plastic parts, hideous cutouts in the fins or sharp or pointed ends .
Plus there is a sale ongoing so you can purchase the tempered aluminum super magnum ak-19 deluxe system for only $375 with free domestic priority mail included as well as a 30 day satisfaction guarantee, it's like buying a new boat without the expense.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/end-of-year-sale-on-most-cobra-jet-super-steering-systems-for-yamaha-jet-boats.35927/ view the super magnum ak-19 deluxe below this is the most popular one for your model , other model specific systems are also available .

Attachments

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
SW Florida offers a lot in inland waterways. Futher off shore, there are a few recks for diving. Key west is within motoring distance.
But the impression I get is that these boats are not a first choice for weather, chop, and open seas.
I was reading through the posts here about a crossing to Bimini, and wondering what conditions or crossing take us out of the green and into the yellow in terms of pushing the limits on safety.
Read the threads on Bimini in the gatherings forum.

We look at wind and wave forecasts. Winds over 15 and waves over 2 are not what we seek. Also have to watch the period on the waves (frequency). 2 foot waves every 15 seconds are doable....every 2 seconds is a POUNDING.

Also you want to watch for storms. Being struck by lightning would be very bad....which is why radar is so popular.

EricB

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
Good pointer on wave period. Regarding radar, where would you stick a radome on one of these boats?
I got an ipad max > 1000 nits and cellular coverage. Figure I can use weather underground or some such to watch weather in real-time. I generally won't be outside of cell coverage very long.

Bought a cup-holder ipad mount. I think that means I can move the weather display to 27 different locations in the boat.

EricB

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
Oh but you're wrong there. I got this trailer thing... ;)

Newbie here, looking to spot the f-up on the horizon.
"Oh, you can't use that boat in this canal" or whatever o-sh** moment awaits me. "What do you mean, my HOA only allows 21' or smaller boats on the canal or parked in the driveways." I know it going to be something, just want to maIMG-0309.jpgke sure its not catastrophic.

90% of my time is going to be spent running down to Bonita dog beach, in SW Florida. I suspect I am going to end up pretty old-hat at that.
Fidel loves the water. He. bites the ocean every time we go down to the beach.

Cheers
-E

DogDadDave

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've done some boating on rental boats with outboards in SW Florida and had a great time. The Tampa and Anna Maria Island area were all easy to navigate and we saw quite a few Yamaha boats. The Sanibel area was also easy to get around and was clear of sea grass, etc, although I have heard people say that the back side of Pine Island can be weedy. I would think most of the areas around the Keys would be fine. We had a 22ft V-hull center console when we were there earlier this year and went all over. There are a lot of sand bars and shallow areas there though, so I was a lot more on alert for risks of beaching ourselves.

As far as your worries about HOA, etc, good luck.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The water out by where I lived in Estero was pretty shallow. I don't see any reason you couldn't go to like, lovers key or Sanibel or any of that. It's shallow enough that you shouldn't run into too much in the way of waves I'd think.

HOA wise, I bet you're not allowed to bring your boat in at all. Our development here let's you bring your boat home for cleaning, but nothing overnight.

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been running a ratty old 2004 AR210 for over 5 years now on nearly every day (well not since just after labor day when I decided to go to the dark side) and I find it just about right.... Its not a boat for 6' seas like that Sea Vee... however other than that it does really well... and I know I've been places where that SeaVee can not go...

This is where I put the radar... the display is an iPad Mini Gen 2 with TZ maps that i can use the radar stand alone or as an overlay to the nav charts. Radar is WiFi connected and can run two displays for under $BOAT. Mostly for dark of night situational awareness and to avoid running into things...

also I have SXM sat weather on my Garmin... as cellular coverage gets spotty out in say the Content Keys

IMG_0330 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Shaddow350

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I had a 19 AR190. I liked going into little spaces all the time where other larger boats could not. I recently upgraded to a 24'. Makes me wonder if I can get into those spots now without damage.

Manny252

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Oh but you're wrong there. I got this trailer thing... ;)

Newbie here, looking to spot the f-up on the horizon.
"Oh, you can't use that boat in this canal" or whatever o-sh** moment awaits me. "What do you mean, my HOA only allows 21' or smaller boats on the canal or parked in the driveways." I know it going to be something, just want to maView attachment 167679ke sure its not catastrophic.

90% of my time is going to be spent running down to Bonita dog beach, in SW Florida. I suspect I am going to end up pretty old-hat at that.
Fidel loves the water. He. bites the ocean every time we go down to the beach.

Cheers
-E
Got to get my girl on my new jet boat as well. Hey if ya down by Satellite beach -Sabastian area let me know. Good luck

Attachments

Ericd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’m equipping my 210 FSH for offshore. Properly equipped and with an eye on the weather I believe 10-30 miles out will be safe (again weather permitting 3’-4’ seas or less). Lots of places within range of Estero Bay. Our community storage is 25’ and under. I might be able to squeeze a 255 FSH in the future.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You can't go here and just leave whenever you want. Yamaha is known for skinny water performance, but not that skinny.

20220121_070547.jpg

20220121_070521.jpg

Last edited:

Alexegan88

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Good pointer on wave period. Regarding radar, where would you stick a radome on one of these boats?
I got an ipad max > 1000 nits and cellular coverage. Figure I can use weather underground or some such to watch weather in real-time. I generally won't be outside of cell coverage very long.

Bought a cup-holder ipad mount. I think that means I can move the weather display to 27 different locations in the boat.
This post is old, but hilarious!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I've been running a ratty old 2004 AR210 for over 5 years now on nearly every day (well not since just after labor day when I decided to go to the dark side) and I find it just about right.... Its not a boat for 6' seas like that Sea Vee... however other than that it does really well... and I know I've been places where that SeaVee can not go...

This is where I put the radar... the display is an iPad Mini Gen 2 with TZ maps that i can use the radar stand alone or as an overlay to the nav charts. Radar is WiFi connected and can run two displays for under $BOAT. Mostly for dark of night situational awareness and to avoid running into things...

also I have SXM sat weather on my Garmin... as cellular coverage gets spotty out in say the Content Keys

View attachment 167721
Curious....does the radar not give you storm info or does the SXM weather do it that much better?

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My radar is collision radar not weather radar... I use the Sat weather mostly when I'm out of cell range