• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Who likes a good pickle?

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
As the title says, who likes a good pickle? I do. You can make crunchy deli style dill/garlic fermented pickles, that I have to say "Nobody can eat just one". It takes about a week to complete the process and are some of the best I have tasted. You will need a fermentation crock, with a water trap/air lock at the lid and you will need to keep water in the trap for the process. We set up a trellis in the greenhouse to grow picklers vertically. Make finding and picking easy. Picking a couple of dozen at a time to fill the crock to just over half full will fill about 2-half gallon Ball jars. Here are a few pics.

20190827_182307.jpg

Inside the crock we use plates to keep the cucumbers submerged. The second batch is in there, I will taste check this batch in 5 days. It may take a little longer this time because the picklers are bigger, maybe 7 to 9 days before I put them in Jars and in the fridge.

20190827_183623.jpg

20190827_182556.jpg

I can't stop eating these, I just ate that whole jar.
We also use the crock to make sauerkraut when the cabbages are big enough. Here is my recipe. You will need 1-3 to 4 gallon crock.

I start with a brine solution. I like 2 1/2 tablespoons of fine sea salt per 1 quart of water. You will need enough of this brine solution to cover the picklers in the crock. I add a pretty good handful of dill fronds/leaves you can substitute a couple of tablespoons of dill seed, but I prefer the fresh plant. Also 1-2 heads of garlic, separate the cloves and smack them, bust them open with the side of a big knife and toss them in. I also add a few grape leaves to keep the pickles crunchy. Put the lid on. Add water to the trap and go boating, well that is how I did it today.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@zipper, look's great. We have been buying some awesome dill pickles (slices) this summer at Wegman's and the family goes through them in a day. I bet the one's you make are better

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My wife makes sliced pickles in jars, some shelf stable some not.
These need to be refrigerated once they are removed from the crock. Not the canned with heat/vinegar type that will sit on a shelf in the pantry for months.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just under six bucks at Costco for a huge jar. Can't eat just one. Best pickles I have ever tasted. Why work when you don't have to!20190827_232122.jpg

galonuscct

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Have you tried the devil's spit from famous Dave's? 🔥

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
These need to be refrigerated once they are removed from the crock. Not the canned with heat/vinegar type that will sit on a shelf in the pantry for months.
She makes both...but finds the shelf stable ones aren't as crunchy, so she's not being making those as much (which is why my beer fridge is full of pickle jars). Perhaps she needs to try your grape leaf trick (but not sure grape leaves are readily available).

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
She makes both...but finds the shelf stable ones aren't as crunchy, so she's not being making those as much (which is why my beer fridge is full of pickle jars). Perhaps she needs to try your grape leaf trick (but not sure grape leaves are readily available).
The grape leaves are supposed to keep them crunchy. I can attest to that. Been using wild grape leaves for years and eating crunchy pickles since. They grow all over the place on my property. I steped out the mudroom door and walked about 12' to pick them.

Last edited: