• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Can I run engine on trailer with pump and impeller removed?

Diezel44

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just bought a 2007 SX230 HO with only 137 hrs on each engine. This is my first Jetboat, but have been doing all my own work on boats for years. I have read quite a bit about the noise like rattling cans or marbles in a tin can. My starboard engine sounds extremely loud to me. I just changed plugs and oil, and no change. It definitely sounds like it's coming from either the pump housing or Intermediate bearing. I removed the pump housing, wear ring does not appear to have any swell marks or gouges, and the impeller looks good. I ordered new housings for both anyway.
My question is, can I start the motor with the pump housing/ impeller off real quick just to see if the noise is coming from the intermediate bearing? I figured that would narrow it down before I install the new housing and re-install the impeller. I don't want to put it all back together just to find out the IM bearing is bad and needs to be replaced. I also noticed that the hose from the zerk fitting to the IM bearing house was off. I pumped the hose full of fresh grease and then installed it back on the IM bearing house nipple and gave it 2 pumps of the grease gun. We shall see if that helps.

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You’ll know if your intermediate bearing is bad if you get on the water and it leaks around the bearing, or reach down behind the engine and give the shaft a jiggle since you have the pump pulled. If it moves then you know the bearing is going bad. I don’t see why you couldn’t run the engine without the pump in, less resistance!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes with the hose connected, wouldn't hurt to check the cone and bearing for water intrusion

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I don’t think you can run the engine on the hose with the pump removed because there may Not be enough water flow through the engine with cooling water line from the pump totally exposed. I could easily be wrong about that but it seems plausible.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You want to review the house routing and pinch the inbound water hose from the pump, same as if you were towing.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don’t think you can run the engine on the hose with the pump removed because there may Not be enough water flow through the engine with cooling water line from the pump totally exposed. I could easily be wrong about that but it seems plausible.
Agreed. Clamp off the cooling line from the pump to the engine to ensure flush water flows to the engine and not reverse out the inlet line.

Otherwise should be no problem. Heads up, it's going to rev REALLY REALLY fast, so I would use as little throttle as you can get away with.

Diezel44

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Much appreciated guys.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
here's a video I made running without the impellers and showing how much hose water backflows out the normal cooling water "entrance" without clamping the hose in the engine compartment

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nobody clamps with a impeller housing and pump in when flushing out of the water as you would still have water pouring out the pump. It’s not like the pump is sealing or largely pressurizing the cooling water when on the trailer. It’s just passages where water flows. All clamping would do it increase water pressure to the engine side but even with pump in place you’d still be losing that water pressure. The small strainer holes might give some backpressure but not enough to be significant or rob the engine of cooling IMO.

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nobody clamps with a impeller housing and pump in when flushing out of the water as you would still have water pouring out the pump. It’s not like the pump is sealing or largely pressurizing the cooling water when on the trailer. It’s just passages where water flows. All clamping would do it increase water pressure to the engine side but even with pump in place you’d still be losing that water pressure. The small strainer holes might give some backpressure but not enough to be significant or rob the engine of cooling IMO.
I'm confused by this post (maybe I can't translate 5:28am thoughts into my 10am mind)

Are you saying it's not good to clamp your inbound strainer/jet cooling line before the 'Y" connection when flushing your engine on the hose ?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm confused by this post (maybe I can't translate 5:28am thoughts into my 10am mind)

Are you saying it's not good to clamp your inbound strainer/jet cooling line before the 'Y" connection when flushing your engine on the hose ?
No that is not what I’m saying.

Im simply saying if you remove the pump (or not) you don’t have to clamp the line. Some were thinking you need to clamp the line IF you remove the pump but I don’t see how that is needed. The pump is not sealing in terms of the cooling passages and doesn’t provide any significant back pressure I can think of. If you add all the holes on the white strainer it likely equates to at least the same diameter of the cooling passage.

Clamping a line or adding shutoff valves is only a thing to do when your IN the water for rescue towing or wanting to flush with non-salt water while docked / wet slipped in the water.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Im simply saying if you remove the pump (or not) you don’t have to clamp the line. Some were thinking you need to clamp the line IF you remove the pump but I don’t see how that is needed. The pump is not sealing in terms of the cooling passages and doesn’t provide any significant back pressure I can think of. If you add all the holes on the white strainer it likely equates to at least the same diameter of the cooling passage.
ok, I definitely agree, it's now 1pm so my CPU must be processing better

Clamping a line or adding shutoff valves is only a thing to do when your IN the water for rescue towing or wanting to flush with non-salt water while docked / wet slipped in the water.
or you're trying to push all your salt-away through the engine instead of sending some out the jet intake
or you've got low water pressure at home on the hose and need all your water going into your engine while flushing in the driveway

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I agree and disagree.

I agree the clamp isn't needed because you removed the pump.

I disagree in that I think everyone that flushes on the trailer should use a clamp (or valve) to get increased flow through the engine from the flush port.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
To increase flow I raised the water pressure on my house. Around 70 psi gets really good flow.