• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Searched and couldn't find...a good tire pressure for our trailers

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've seen up to 90 psi/ Really?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Look at the sidewall of the tire. Worst case the trailer tongue, but at your age of trailer, I'm sure the tires are not stock. You won't see that size tire ever over 50lbs.

But whatever it is rated for on the sidewall, run it within 5lbs of max pressure.

That is a long standing recommendation to maintain even wear. Good luck.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you look on the inside of the tung of the trailer were the I'd plate is you will see the recommend tire pressure. It's like the plate on your truck or car with same info on the driversdoor jam. Usually it's yellow.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
All the guys at big o and americas tire tell me to run the max pressure cold stated on the side wall of the tire unless the trailer says otherwise and your using the same size tire that came with the trailer.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
one issue. The trailers, at least mine, came with bias ply tires. Most of us have switched over to radial tires ? Max on my good year endurance tires is 65 psi.

Something to keep in mind as well as the load in the tire ls how fast you will be towing. If you are going to be towing near the max speed rating you need to be at max cold inflation pressure.

Usually manufacturers have or can give you recommended inflation pressure for a given weight and load.

@biffdotorg recommendation is sound.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Okay just went and checked the Goodyear website and found this handy chart, inflation pressure based on load. Looks like the speed rating remains the same.

08D38BF7-AE91-426E-A24D-D3FF9D71DA67.png

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I've seen up to 90 psi/ Really?
Only your sidewalls will tell you the pressure. Be sure to inflate to max when cold.

If you want to not worry about your tires, upgrade to GoodYear Endurance.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
All the guys at big o and americas tire tell me to run the max pressure cold stated on the side wall of the tire unless the trailer says otherwise and your using the same size tire that came with the trailer.
This is the way.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This is what you need if towing long distance. Its great to know whats going on no matter what the pressure needs to be. Trailer tires heat up from the sun and the air pressure on the sunny side is always about 8 10 lbs more plus they just go up from friction. My max is 50 I fill to 45 when cold, stock tires from 2018 shore lander

tire pressure monitoring

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So I tried to call and talk to Goodyear.. waited on hold for 15 mins. Then called Discount tire where I bought the Endurance trailer tires and asked them, short answer, run the max psi on the trailer sidewall, this results in the lowest heart build up and least rolling reistance-you can see how those two go hand in hand. The guy at Discount also state that the max tire pressure cold on the sidewall is how trailer tires are designed to run.

Here’s a link to Goodyears tips page.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
This is what you need if towing long distance. Its great to know whats going on no matter what the pressure needs to be. Trailer tires heat up from the sun and the air pressure on the sunny side is always about 8 10 lbs more plus they just go up from friction. My max is 50 I fill to 45 when cold, stock tires from 2018 shore lander

tire pressure monitoring

Thanks for the link…. It got me thinking, I need to get a TPMS set up that will work with my truck as it has the ability to look at / monitor trailer tire pressure.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
The stock Carlisle bias ply14's are 50 PSI. We replaced them before the season with the Goodyear Endurance D rated which call for 65 PSI and have a higher speed rating, as shown in the chart @FSH 210 Sport posted above.

Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The stock Carlisle’s have a speed rating of 81, impressive really. But, my Carlisle’s got flat spots in them and were also out of round that never went away and vibrated like crazy…I could see the spare tire vibrating on the mount going down the highway.. Now with the Goodyear endurance they are as smooth as can be, spare doesn’t vibrate on the mount.

I still have the stock Carlisle spare though. Hopefully will never need that, going to try and wear some of the tread off of those Goodyears this summer!

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
The stock Carlisle’s have a speed rating of 81, impressive really. But, my Carlisle’s got flat spots in them and were also out of round that never went away and vibrated like crazy…I could see the spare tire vibrating on the mount going down the highway.. Now with the Goodyear endurance they are as smooth as can be, spare doesn’t vibrate on the mount.

I still have the stock Carlisle spare though. Hopefully will never need that, going to try and wear some of the tread off of those Goodyears this summer!
We bought new wheels and tires, also replacing the spare. Going to put 2500 miles on them over the next 2 weeks.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
We bought new wheels and tires, also replacing the spare. Going to put 2500 miles on them over the next 2 weeks.
Safe travels and tight lines!