• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

1lb propane storage on SX195

Jp207

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I appeal to the wisdom on this forum. My lovely wife bought me a Magma grill for my birthday and I absolutely love it. My question for all that may have one is where do you store the propane cylinders?... I know full well what a 1lb canister is capable of and just want to ease my own fears. I did commercial and industrial HVAC for many years and drove around with mapp canisters and oxy/actelyne torches in my van and never had a second thought or a problem. But when it comes to the boat I’m having serious reservations about keeping them in any compartment or the storage bag she got that holds the grill and canisters. I currently plan on storing the grill under a seat and can’t bring myself to keep the canisters there. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I keep mine in the Magma storage bag, under the starboard seat. It's lightly padded, and the grill doesn't move around at all when its stowed.

Strap it to your towable on a 50' line. :) Actually your wet locker is not air tight. Not sure of the size of your wet locker but in mine I could sleeve it with a piece of 3" pipe insulation which would hold it pretty snug. I could also fit one in my lower glove compartment. Not sure how yours is configured. If you have starage behind your helm you could mount a small fire extinguisher bracket to protect it. That compartment is not air tight on my boat.

+1 to storing in my magma grill bag in on boat storage... No issues in the past year

Thanks guys for the response! I’m all about storing it on the tow rope and letting my son deal with it!! Lol... I will be storing it tomorrow in the bag and plan on in the future going with a pvc pipe plumbed overboard for storage!

I store mine in the bag, in the ski locker. I also have a fume detector in the engine bay that would alarm for propane and gasoline....cheap safety device!

There are ABYC regs on LPG and LNG storage and use, but these are mainly geared to larger vessels with permanent installations. Our Beneteau had an LPG system and oven, designed in France in the 80's, but was non compliant to USCG/ABYC regs. as the boat was built in So. Carolina in 1991, and ripped out by a PO, probably when they requested USCG registration number or certification. It was replaced with a non-pressurised alcohol stove. Here is that reg.

Adobe Document Cloud

And with all that info, we stow the grill starboard side under stern seating pushed all the way back next to engine bay. The fuel bottle is stored separetly in the netted compartment under port seating on our Yamaha

Here is a section from a Marine Surveyor from Canada, he always has good info. and examples that you will shake your head at.

Last edited:
Back