• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2016 yamaha 212x draining lots of water after just a few hours on the lake.

Blue Yonder

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Only had it out a couple time, but each time it drained about 10 gallons of water when I trailered it. No water was visible in the motor compartment where the bilge is, didn’t fill the ballast either. However, I did have water coming through the ski locker when I took the plug out. Scupper valve looks fine, o rings look fine in the plugs. Any advice would be appreciated.

God Bless,

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The real bilge runs from the transom drain plug, under the motors, from where the bilge pump draws water, a hole under the pump thru the engine sole/floor, forward under the fuel tank and under the ski locker drain. The deepest section of the hull/bilge is under the ski locker. I assume you had the bilge pump switch on during your outing. Do you see water on top of the clean out plugs during, after your outing? Water can enter the cleanout tray thru the drain hose during sudden stops and while motoring in reverse. Some add an inline check valve. That water will leak past the silicone sealant that is supposed to seal the tray around the screws. For that M/Y I would look there first. That seal leaking into the bilge is a common problem. Many rebed the tray seal and solve the water ingress issue. I don't think the anchor locker drain was an issue with those boats. Lift up the clean out hatch, while on land and pour a 5 gallon bucket of water in the tray and see how much leaks past the seal and comes out the transom drain plug/Thru-hull. It helps to plug the tray drain while doing this.

Last edited:

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Last season I was still occasionally getting some water coming out of the bilge my suspicion has been confirmed on the final item. Items that I sealed to prevent water infiltration

- Sealed up the large clean out tray with a gasket and additional screws
- Sealed up the the inspection port with gasket and more screws
- Before the clean out tray was sealed went in the bilge area pulled the loose silicone and reapplied a new coat
- Put a cork in the front anchor locker from the inside
- Installed a one way valve on the large clean out tray drain
- Pulled the rub rail back to the tower and added a nice bead of silicone in the pocket that the factory missed
- Capped off the cleats on the inside (while surfing they are under water and are designed to for a drain system)

So the final item was confirmed to be rain water getting in from the factory cover most likely the tower allows water to trail in. The winter shrink wrap was carefully cut off at the beginning of the season and I used it to cover the boat this 100% blocks all the water and my bilge has been bone dry not a drip came out the entire season.

This is the water coming out after a cork was put in the tray drain and it was filled with hose water

water out.jpg

Blue Yonder

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
The real bilge runs from the transom drain plug, under the motors, from where the bilge pump draws water, a hole under the pump thru the engine sole/floor, forward under the fuel tank and under the ski locker drain. The deepest section of the hull/bilge is under the ski locker. I assume you had the bilge pump switch on during your outing. Do you see water on top of the clean out plugs during, after your outing? Water can enter the cleanout tray thru the drain hose during sudden stops and while motoring in reverse. Some add an inline check valve. That water will leak past the silicone sealant that is supposed to seal the tray around the screws. For that M/Y I would look there first. That seal leaking into the bilge is a common problem. Many rebed the tray seal and solve the water ingress issue. I don't think the anchor locker drain was an issue with those boats. Lift up the clean out hatch, while on land and pour a 5 gallon bucket of water in the tray and see how much leaks past the seal and comes out the transom drain plug/Thru-hull. It helps to plug the tray drain while doing this.
Thanks. I’ll try that today👍🏼

Blue Yonder

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Last season I was still occasionally getting some water coming out of the bilge my suspicion has been confirmed on the final item. Items that I sealed to prevent water infiltration

- Sealed up the large clean out tray with a gasket and additional screws
- Sealed up the the inspection port with gasket and more screws
- Before the clean out tray was sealed went in the bilge area pulled the loose silicone and reapplied a new coat
- Put a cork in the front anchor locker from the inside
- Installed a one way valve on the large clean out tray drain
- Pulled the rub rail back to the tower and added a nice bead of silicone in the pocket that the factory missed
- Capped off the cleats on the inside (while surfing they are under water and are designed to for a drain system)

So the final item was confirmed to be rain water getting in from the factory cover most likely the tower allows water to trail in. The winter shrink wrap was carefully cut off at the beginning of the season and I used it to cover the boat this 100% blocks all the water and my bilge has been bone dry not a drip came out the entire season.

This is the water coming out after a cork was put in the tray drain and it was filled with hose water

View attachment 204550
Dang! Rain was the problem. Mines stored inside, but I’ll run through the list and see what I can find. Thanks for the help. 👍🏼

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Adding that extra height really helped with my water issue..Everytime I open the cleanout hatch those cleanout plugs are full..
IMG_7798.jpegIMG_7802.jpeg

Blue Yonder

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Only had it out a couple time, but each time it drained about 10 gallons of water when I trailered it. No water was visible in the motor compartment where the bilge is, didn’t fill the ballast either. However, I did have water coming through the ski locker when I took the plug out. Scupper valve looks fine, o rings look fine in the plugs. Any advice would be appreciated.

God Bless,

Went out for a cruise and made sure the clean out lid stayed 100% dry, corked the anchor storage, re-silicones the drain plug, minimal water was at the bottom of the bilge…drained for 2 minutes when I pulled it out of the water!?!?!

Blue Yonder

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
So…Filled it up from the ski locker drain and the stern drain plug in. I found that there was a small leak from the inlet for the screen on the ballast pump. Guess I’ll seal it from the inside and outside tomorrow when it dries out a bit. Hard to believe all that water is coming from there, but it’s a start I reckon. Thanks for the help guys!

Blue Yonder

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
So…Filled it up from the ski locker drain and the stern drain plug in. I found that there was a small leak from the inlet for the screen on the ballast pump. Guess I’ll seal it from the inside and outside tomorrow when it dries out a bit. Hard to believe all that water is coming from there, but it’s a start I reckon. Thanks for the help guys!

Blue Yonder

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Backed in the water on trailer and let it sit level in the water. Pulled off after 20 minutes and rode around careful to not allow any water to come over the back deck area. The water drained for about 20-30 seconds once it was out. I sat on the back deck with a flashlight looking down in the clean out area and didn’t see any water coming in while docked?

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Backed in the water on trailer and let it sit level in the water. Pulled off after 20 minutes and rode around careful to not allow any water to come over the back deck area. The water drained for about 20-30 seconds once it was out. I sat on the back deck with a flashlight looking down in the clean out area and didn’t see any water coming in while docked?
Rub rail, cleanout plugs may be allowing bypass, which may filter in around cleanout tray drain or clamps, the tray itself, or the inspection hatch. May have missing sealant around the plastic scupper, may have a crack or slice in the scupper hose, may have water bypassing the transom drain plug, may have existing water that finally reached the 20-30 second level in the boat... among other things.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Whe I was tearing around like a bat out of hell towing people and roughing it up, I always noticed I had a load of water draining at the end of the day. When on a normal cruise with no maniacs on board? Nary a drop comes out at end of the day.