• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2020 Bimini Trip July 12-18th

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
That is an ugly forecast I'd not cross in.....but it doesn't let up all week! In general we try not to cross in double digit winds, especially if they've been double digits for a while.

The only plus side is its following seas. So go slow and you'll probably be ok. Of course, have the ditch bag, epirb life jackets etc all on and ready.
I agree that slower is better but then the fear is fuel.
Gonna be
Also, always be prepared to change. Do NOT set yourself in stone to a plan. If you get out there and its bad, TURN BACK. Your life is more important than your schedule, job, plans etc!
True!
If bad weather look at the keys, Destin, Pensacola etc. Plenty of stuff to do!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I agree that slower is better but then the fear is fuel.
Which is why you should always take reserve fuel with you on these trips. If you need to slow down and run displacement speeds you will burn more fuel, but the answer isn't to say "I can't afford to go slower or I'll run out of fuel", the answer is to have reserves. Also allows you to change course and go around storms, deal with heavier seas etc.

Plan for the worst. And be prepared to change your plan. Forecast right now for 2.4' seas at 4 seconds is ugly....

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Which is why you should always take reserve fuel with you on these trips. If you need to slow down and run displacement speeds you will burn more fuel, but the answer isn't to say "I can't afford to go slower or I'll run out of fuel", the answer is to have reserves. Also allows you to change course and go around storms, deal with heavier seas etc.

Plan for the worst. And be prepared to change your plan. Forecast right now for 2.4' seas at 4 seconds is ugly....
Last time you went to Bimini, how much extra fuel did you take? How much extra if you took your SX?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Last time you went to Bimini, how much extra fuel did you take? How much extra if you took your SX?
I took 15 gallons with me each direction. If you don't end up needing it you just spend less on gas in bimini. Not a big deal.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm probably crossing around 2pm tomorrow it should be fun it was pretty big out there today when I ran the boat offshore from Miami to Ft Lauderdale feel free to follow along.

share.garmin.com/exuma2020

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@robert843 Would be very interested to know how the AR240 handles bigger stuff compared to the AR210. Since we boat in the great lakes and will be making out to the ocean next year debating on if I should go a bit bigger.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@robert843 Would be very interested to know how the AR240 handles bigger stuff compared to the AR210. Since we boat in the great lakes and will be making out to the ocean next year debating on if I should go a bit bigger.
LOL I did go bigger I have an AR240 but I'm taking my Seahunt Gamefish 30 on this run. I have done the Bahamas on the AR240 and it does OK but you have to pick your days I wouldn't cross in tomorrows forecast in my AR240 but have no issues doing it in my Gamefish 30. Big seas suck no matter what boat your in but the bigger the boat the more days you can get out there when its ugly.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just looked up the gamefish 30. I see your point. Safe travels.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you want to practice your boating skills at haulover Saturday. I’ll come over and film ya.
so I lied I did go out of haulover yesterday lol government cut had a massive thunderstorm over it. The inlet wasn’t bad since it was high tide but outside the inlet wasn’t a lot of fun

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
so I lied I did go out of haulover yesterday lol government cut had a massive thunderstorm over it. The inlet wasn’t bad since it was high tide but outside the inlet wasn’t a lot of fun

You still planning on 2pm today. Looking super sporty and wet.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
3 five gallon cans (15 gallons total) for both boats....their fuel burn is similar.

Last edited:

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks like Robert is making good time. 20-25mph.
it sucked out my crew who has been doing these trips for 5 years was begging me to turn around about 15 minutes in I slowed down to around 20 mph and kept going they were fine at that pace. I’m leaving at 6:30am to head down to Staniel cay hopping for good weather I got a lot of ground to cover.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

BBottoms

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So what did those in Bimini do? Any word?
We heard they made it back Saturday afternoon and that it was a "wild ride". Stormed in Bimini Friday night and power was out, then limited cell coverage Sat AM. With @robert843 having to run 20 mph in a 30 ft CC, I can imagine how the ride was in a 24 ft Yamaha. I hated to leave, more or less leave early, but I'm glad we left Thursday!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Rotorwash

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We came back from Bimini on Saturday (18th) in 4-7ft in our AR240. We didn't take any water over the bow except for occasional spray. The boat did fine. Extremely tough conditions long slow trip. Initially coming out of Bimini we had the wind at our back but about half way a thunderstorm formed between us and Ft Lauderdale. we slowed up and waited for it to dissipate and the winds changed and conditions got worse. burned nearly 40% over 20 miles. We had spare tanks but didn't have to use them. In the end the boat did fine, actually surprised how well it did.