• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Airplane Project

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
What was the 10deg of flaps? Typical ? What else would he have done if the temps didnt climb?

Congrats ! I got butterflies watching it. You had to be stoked!

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
What was the 10deg of flaps? Typical ? What else would he have done if the temps didnt climb?

Congrats ! I got butterflies watching it. You had to be stoked!
The flap issue is a software programming oversight I suspect. The computer will not let you overspeed the flaps (deploy them when you're going too fast). I had overlooked the flap overspeed setting and left it blank. I think the computer default was artificially low and refused to lower the flaps until he was on final approach due to the speed. Once on final approach, he only got 10 or 20 degrees of flaps out and prepared to land with what he had. Total flap deployment is 40 degrees. Now that the setting is programmed for 87 knots, I believe it will behave correctly.

There is a plan for every flight during the test phase (first 40 hours). Being the first flight, this one was pretty simple. Climb to 4000' (3000' above ground), circle the airport, reduce power to near stall to simulate landing, slight exploration of flight controls, nothing extreme, and land. Total flight time around 15 to 20 minutes.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The flap issue is a software programming oversight I suspect. The computer will not let you overspeed the flaps (deploy them when you're going too fast). I had overlooked the flap overspeed setting and left it blank. I think the computer default was artificially low and refused to lower the flaps until he was on final approach due to the speed. Once on final approach, he only got 10 or 20 degrees of flaps out and prepared to land with what he had. Total flap deployment is 40 degrees. Now that the setting is programmed for 87 knots, I believe it will behave correctly.

There is a plan for every flight during the test phase (first 40 hours). Being the first flight, this one was pretty simple. Climb to 4000' (3000' above ground), circle the airport, reduce power to near stall to simulate landing, slight exploration of flight controls, nothing extreme, and land. Total flight time around 15 to 20 minutes.
Man, HATS OFF!
Thank you for sharing, this is very very cool.
I'm gonna stick with boats.

EDIT: Does this test pilot have the nerves of steel? He rides an experimental small single engine aircraft where his aircooled engine is overheating... And his voice does not change.
He is my hero.

--

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Man, HATS OFF!
Thank you for sharing, this is very very cool.
I'm gonna stick with boats.

EDIT: Does this test pilot have the nerves of steel? He rides an experimental small single engine aircraft where his aircooled engine is overheating... And his voice does not change.
He is my hero.

--
If i’m not mistaken. These can be a real glider in a dead engine situation. Hence circleing the airport all should be fine........as long as the flaps are in working order

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If i’m not mistaken. These can be a real glider in a dead engine situation. Hence circleing the airport all should be fine........as long as the flaps are in working order
You're absolutely correct. Every airplane has a best glide speed. Best glide is usually with flaps retracted. In an emergency flaps are deployed closer to the ground to make the landing more controllable, and in the worse case scenario, slow the impact. The reason the first flights are done above the airport is to be able to glide to a runway. BTW, all pilots practice no flap landings for this exact reason (or at least they should). Flaps don't always work...

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
After putting this off for several years, this has just inspired me to pursue my private pilot license!

THANK YOU!!

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So cool to see it in the air, congrats!

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There are sooooo many half-built home built planes out there that never see the light of day. I'm impressed with how rapidly you managed to get this all together and have an actual FLYING airplane.

Congratulations are in order as well as acknowledgement of your dedication to make it all happen.

Nice job.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
This is amazing. I could only dream of building a plane!
Keep me on the water and ground thanks!

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@upperdeck have you been able to get up and fly this thing yet since the test flight

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@upperdeck have you been able to get up and fly this thing yet since the test flight
It made one additional flight. Since then I was out of town for quite a while and no work got done. I'll be back in the hanger ASAP to make some adjustments on the prop governor.

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It's been a while since this post has been updated. Since last update, the airframe has accumulated about 100 hours, test flight regiment was completed long ago. And, @tim h even got a flight with me over Port Washington. It has flown from Milwaukee to Kansas City on a few occasions with more lengthy trips planned.

The biggest news is that it is back in my hangar with fresh paint!

20200515_184126.jpgIMG_20200516_045707_01.jpg

Last edited:

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@upperdeck that is a beautiful beautiful machine ! well done and congrats.

I threw your tail number into a tracker I use for Alec, found your plane, but my account doesn't list your flights.

My interest is definitely piqued on this project.
I sold by 212x over the weekend (sniffle sniffle). I have a HUGE empty garage bay looking for a task !

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@upperdeck that is a beautiful beautiful machine ! well done and congrats.

I threw your tail number into a tracker I use for Alec, found your plane, but my account doesn't list your flights.

My interest is definitely piqued on this project.
I sold by 212x over the weekend (sniffle sniffle). I have a HUGE empty garage bay looking for a task !
Thanks much! It took a ton of work, but definitely worth it. If you're looking for a project, I say go for it. My only regret is that I didn't start sooner!

You won't find my flights on any tracking service, I have that shut off at the FAA level.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Looks beautiful!