• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Battery dead

Hockeyguy1960

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
What kind of battery should I get for a 2015 Yamaha AR192? I don’t know how old the battery is since I bought it used in 2020…I left the battery on one weekend but I jumped it off and it ran fine rest of summer…maybe I should just take it out and see if it holds a charge? Been unhooked all winter…Any suggestions? thx!

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Buy an onboard charger and your battery will last longer.

If you’re going to just try it at the lake bring a jumper box or cables.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
What kind of battery should I get for a 2015 Yamaha AR192? I don’t know how old the battery is since I bought it used in 2020…I left the battery on one weekend but I jumped it off and it ran fine rest of summer…maybe I should just take it out and see if it holds a charge? Been unhooked all winter…Any suggestions? thx!
Take it to an advanceauto or similar auto parts store. They all have test machines they can hook it up to and see if it is holding a charge (this will take an hour or so to do...so plan on leaving it there and coming back). Most auto parts stores will have sealed marine batteries to match the one you have now.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
As mentioned you can have it tested. But it's probably the original - they have manufacture dates on them to confirm age. And since you've killed it once already, it's started to sulfate and probably down 10-20%. The worst thing for lead-acid batteries is discharging them below 75% for flooded marine and 50% for deep cycle AGM. I would confirm the date and if 6+ years old, I'd buy a deep cycle to replace it and get an on-board charger immediately to keep it topped up and maintained when not in use.

A well maintained battery can last 10+ years in a vehicle, and 5+ years in a boat depending on use. My truck battery will be 9 years old this July and cranks great even at -25c this winter. I put vasoline on the battery terminals the day it came home and never let it run down. Barring any issues, I expect my boat's start battery to last just as long...the house battery maybe 4-5 years as it gets cycled more.

Hockeyguy1960

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Thx! I’ll get a deep cycle battery since I’ve had to jump start it a couple times since the initial wear down and an on board charger…do know any specific brands? I’ve got a small one from advance auto it has a 6V and a 12V setting…thx again!

Hockeyguy1960

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Take it to an advanceauto or similar auto parts store. They all have test machines they can hook it up to and see if it is holding a charge (this will take an hour or so to do...so plan on leaving it there and coming back). Most auto parts stores will have sealed marine batteries to match the one you have now.
Thank you I’ll give it a go! But I’m thinking I’ll probably ending getting a new one!

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thx! I’ll get a deep cycle battery since I’ve had to jump start it a couple times since the initial wear down and an on board charger…do know any specific brands? I’ve got a small one from advance auto it has a 6V and a 12V setting…thx again!
If you have a single battery you’ll need a dual purpose marine battery, one that is deep cycle and a start battery.

Get a NOCO or MinnKota on board battery charger and mount it on your boat. These battery chargers are smart chargers, and will properly condition your battery with automatic bulk, absorption, float, and if a regular flooded lead acid battery will perform a monthly equalize charge or you can manually activate an equalize charge. Each of those two chargers are selectable for different types of batteries. These chargers are sealed and rated for damp / wet atmospheres.

Also get the male plug that you mount in the boat so you can just plug in the charger when you are not on the lake.

As far as batteries go, there plenty of threads on here about all the different types and brands. If you want to spend the least the go with a flooded lead acid type…lots of folks like the AGM type. If you were happy with the performance of your original battery then get one of those. Autozone has their house brand, Duralast and ive had good luck with those over the years in my vehicles. I just bought an Interstate AGM dual purpose deep cycle marine battery that I’ll be using this season… $223 out the door with a good guarantee. If you’re a Costco or Sams club member you might consider one of their dual purpose marine deep cycle batteries since their warranties are so good.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you have a single battery you’ll need a dual purpose marine battery, one that is deep cycle and a start battery.

Get a NOCO or MinnKota on board battery charger and mount it on your boat. These battery chargers are smart chargers, and will properly condition your battery with automatic bulk, absorption, float, and if a regular flooded lead acid battery will perform a monthly equalize charge or you can manually activate an equalize charge. Each of those two chargers are selectable for different types of batteries. These chargers are sealed and rated for damp / wet atmospheres.

Also get the male plug that you mount in the boat so you can just plug in the charger when you are not on the lake.

As far as batteries go, there plenty of threads on here about all the different types and brands. If you want to spend the least the go with a flooded lead acid type…lots of folks like the AGM type. If you were happy with the performance of your original battery then get one of those. Autozone has their house brand, Duralast and ive had good luck with those over the years in my vehicles. I just bought an Interstate AGM dual purpose deep cycle marine battery that I’ll be using this season… $223 out the door with a good guarantee. If you’re a Costco or Sams club member you might consider one of their dual purpose marine deep cycle batteries since their warranties are so good.
I’ve had good luck with Duralast also, specifically AGM on the last few. I saw they had good ratings from consumer reports or somewhere like that a while ago and have been buying them since.

Where did you get the Interstate AGM? I’d definitely look at those for my boat.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’ve had good luck with Duralast also, specifically AGM on the last few. I saw they had good ratings from consumer reports or somewhere like that a while ago and have been buying them since.

Where did you get the Interstate AGM? I’d definitely look at those for my boat.
Picked it up at the Interstate store…. They only had two group 24’s….

I went with a AGM because I’m replacing the OEM house group 24 lead acid with a battle born group 31 100Ah LiFePo4 battery. Since I will be changing the charging profile of my MinnKota PC series chargers to AGM for the LiFePO4 I needed the start battery to be an AGM as well since the DVSR will close as soon as the start battery reaches 13.2 volts and will be paralleled with the LiFePO4 until the voltage drops to 12.7.

Hockeyguy1960

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
So I got the battery out out of the 2015 AR192 it’s and an Heavy duty AGM Optima yellow top deep cycle starting with a date on it 08/16…it’s not the original for the boat but it came with it…only accessories is the 4 speaker stereo and not sure if bilge is auto matic…should I replace with a Duralast comprable or stick with the Heavy duty Optima??
I also will order the Noco charger…
Doesn’t the charger come with a male plug?

Attachments

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So I got the battery out out of the 2015 AR192 it’s and an Heavy duty AGM Optima yellow top deep cycle starting with a date on it 08/16…it’s not the original for the boat but it came with it…only accessories is the 4 speaker stereo and not sure if bilge is auto matic…should I replace with a Duralast comprable or stick with the Heavy duty Optima??
Doesn’t the charger come with a male plug?

Well, seems like that Optima lasted pretty good all things considered. Perhaps just replace the bad one with a new one from Optima.

Yes the charger comes with a male plug. What you want to get is one of these..

They come in different lengths. Mount this male plug receptacle somewhere on your boat that will be convenient for you to reach so when you get home from the lake you can just plug it in and leave it plugged in so your battery will be fully charged and ready to go the next time you go out. This type of plug can be pretty handy if you are out for several days on the water and you get a slip with power over night or something like that. I used mine when I was at Lake Powell and ran an extension cord over to the houseboat at the end of the day when the generator was running to charge up my trolling motor batteries.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
So I got the battery out out of the 2015 AR192 it’s and an Heavy duty AGM Optima yellow top deep cycle starting with a date on it 08/16
That single battery was getting old from the sound of it, and it probably wasn't being taken care of over time. Since your power needs are not too heavy, any deep cycle replacement should do. Personally I find the Optima batteries over-rated for what they cost.
This is one of the most important upgrades for boats - people often forget that lead-acid batteries suffer from high electron loss which causes them to self-discharge a fair bit in just a few weeks. Boats tend to sit idle a lot more than cars which are driven regularly and get topped up by the alternator every time you drive them, so having a smart battery charger on your boat to keep the batteries in good shape is crucial to their life expectancy. If you've ever own a motorcycle or snowmobile in northern climates where it doesn't get used for months, you probably already know you need to keep the batteries in good shape when the "toy" is sitting idle.
:)

Hockeyguy1960

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Just to update on my 2015 Yamaha AR192 I have installed an Optima marine battery and have purchased the Noco waterproof charger on Amazon …Was wondering where is a good place to install that charger in my battery compartment it’s very small or should I just lay it there free next to battery to charge when not using? Thanks!