• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Book Adventure

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ve really been trying to read books more often, and just finished two in the last month. I would like to make my New Year’s resolution reading a book a month which is easily doable. So I’ve decided to make a thread on the books I have read with a brief review on each.

First book I’ve finished is:
IMG_3806.jpeg
I left the state patrol to pursue a SRO position with a county SO. During my SRO course they recommended we all read this. I can’t recommend this book enough. Not only is it good for my position as a SRO, but also as a father of two girls who will eventually grow to be [unbearable] teenagers. Basically the book is about the changes in the adolescent mind and why they have impulses and why they make the choices they do, because of the science he talks about in the book. Real life experiences from him has a guidance counselor and therapist. This is great from start to finish.

The book I just finished:
IMG_3805.jpeg
I was skeptical this book would keep my attention, but within the first 10 pages it had me reading it very quickly. This is a guy that had a very tough road to how he became a guidance counselor and keynote speaker of thousands of conferences. It teaches how to build resilience and real life examples of all building blocks. This was great until the last few chapters, but the last chapter tied it all together and made up for it.

I’m now reading financial peace university by Dave Ramsey. I’ve read Rich Dad Poor Dad as well. I like the financial books as the wife and I continue on our adventure of paying down our debts.

If anyone has any recommendations on financial books or any other non-fiction books lemme know!

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
IMG_3838.jpeg
Finished this in a few days. I’ve listened to him on the radio and my dad took his financial peace university classes years ago. Great ideas and some I don’t agree with but it is a great financial book to read. Just recommend getting the updated version since this one is from 2003.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’ve really been trying to read books more often, and just finished two in the last month. I would like to make my New Year’s resolution reading a book a month which is easily doable. So I’ve decided to make a thread on the books I have read with a brief review on each.

View attachment 210861
I left the state patrol to pursue a SRO position with a county SO. During my SRO course they recommended we all read this. I can’t recommend this book enough. Not only is it good for my position as a SRO, but also as a father of two girls who will eventually grow to be [unbearable] teenagers. Basically the book is about the changes in the adolescent mind and why they have impulses and why they make the choices they do, because of the science he talks about in the book. Real life experiences from him has a guidance counselor and therapist. This is great from start to finish.

View attachment 210862
I was skeptical this book would keep my attention, but within the first 10 pages it had me reading it very quickly. This is a guy that had a very tough road to how he became a guidance counselor and keynote speaker of thousands of conferences. It teaches how to build resilience and real life examples of all building blocks. This was great until the last few chapters, but the last chapter tied it all together and made up for it.

I’m now reading financial peace university by Dave Ramsey. I’ve read Rich Dad Poor Dad as well. I like the financial books as the wife and I continue on our adventure of paying down our debts.

If anyone has any recommendations on financial books or any other non-fiction books lemme know!
FDR’s Folly… If you like audio books this is also on audible. I thought this book very enlightening, well written and a fascinating in-depth look at the new deal. What a great documentary about FDR, his staff and other politicians of that era, and is in stark contrast to what I was taught in school about FDR. After listening to this book I understood why my Dad and Uncle who lived through the Great Depression disliked FDR so much,

C8D4076A-6D7F-4FBD-B3C0-F3CF4597C060.jpeg

Stephen Hunter is probably best known for his series of 11 or 12 fictional books ( I highly recommend this series of books!) and his character Bob Lee Swagger, you may have seen the movie Shooter with Marky Mark who played Bob Lee. The movie was an okay adaptation of the first book, Point of Impact, but as with most book to movie adaptations the book was better. Having said that I also listened to American Gun Fight, I had no idea President Truman ( one of my favorite Presidents because he had a set of balls and spoke plainly and directly) was the target of an assassination attempt.

329519E6-6748-47C0-B814-97099C95E558.jpeg

This book is a great illustration of what the war in the pacific was like…. And as the cover states was the basis for the mini series The Pacific. in a word, Gnarly.

A7BAE715-CD06-453A-96F0-74D75CCDE33D.jpeg

I was fortunate enough to hear a lecture at Cal Tech given by Steven Hawking…. If you want to expand your understanding of our universe in an easy to understand format this is a great book. Michael Jackson is a great reader if you choose the audio book route.

8852AA92-B715-4E8A-A071-F5DA56C5EE4D.jpeg

The Ralph D Sawyer translation of Sun Tzu’s The Art of War is a must read for every man. I listened to this one on CD, the book is on one CD, roughly 45 minutes, and is very deep, lots of useful skills that will benefit you in your career as well as in your personal life. There are / were three other CD’s in addition to the book that chronicle all the battles of the various fiefdoms that eventually led to unification. Every commander who has followed Sun Tzu’s teachings has been successful.

D3E3E349-2CC2-47F1-8072-8AFF96E0ABA0.jpeg

This audio book was great, read by the author, a fascinating tale of a man who grew up poor and through diligence and perseverance achieved a great life.

04170BB1-4279-4498-BC00-12F1A7FD4EB3.jpeg

I think that’s it for my non fiction books, if you want science fiction I’ve got a lot of those ! I like audio books as they allow me to do other tasks while listening ….

Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

View attachment 210861

View attachment 210862

I watched a show on human brain development decades ago and it was fascinating what changes occur in our brains as we pass through puberty.

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@FSH 210 Sport thank you for all the recommendations!! I appreciate it.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I really need to get back to reading. I used to do it a lot when I worked in Manhattan and commuted by train. I had read a lot ,but there's a few books that were good enough to recollect

All the Light that we cannot see - anthony doerr, this book is very interesting if you like WW2 fiction. Pulitzer prize winner
Memory of my melancholy whores (Memoria de mis putas tristes) - gabriel garcia marquez, colombian author that is renowned for magical realism, I want to read his most famous book "100 years of solitude" but its a really big novel. Some day I will find time in my crazy life

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Latest finished book:
IMG_3853.jpeg
Based off true events of a father helping his son through addiction.. Very powerful, the father is very detailed and it’s almost like you can feel his emotions on how well he writes it. There were at times some fluff in parts of the book but it wasn’t bad.

I didn’t like the ending because I thought it would be more of a happier ending, but it made me google lol. The son named Nic actually wrote a book about himself and his addiction to drugs and alcohol. He also was a major role in writing for “13 Reasons Why” the Netflix series that was quite the topic when it came out. Overall a great read, quite the insight on what a family goes through with addiction.

Next I’m reading The Richest Man in Babylon!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
All the Light that we cannot see
I just watched this on one of my streaming services (Max?). Its a 4 part mini series, really enjoyed it.

I read primarily Thrillers and SciFi. One of my favorites is Harry Turtledove's "World at War" Series. Aliens invade earth in the middle of WWII.

I'm currently in the middle of (book 6--I enjoy long series) Craig Alan's "Expeditionary Force"

One of my favorite books is "The Power of One" (also a movie) by Bryce Courtney, just a nice story.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I just watched this on one of my streaming services (Max?). Its a 4 part mini series, really enjoyed it.

I read primarily Thrillers and SciFi. One of my favorites is Harry Turtledove's "World at War" Series. Aliens invade earth in the middle of WWII.

I'm currently in the middle of (book 6--I enjoy long series) Craig Alan's "Expeditionary Force"

One of my favorite books is "The Power of One" (also a movie) by Bryce Courtney, just a nice story.
Skippy!

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I watched a show on human brain development decades ago and it was fascinating what changes occur in our brains as we pass through puberty.
I thought I had put in what those changes were but I see I forgot…

As one passes through puberty sheaths grow around the neurons which increase the speed of the electrical signals by a factor of 10. This results in a huge jump in cognitive reasoning that was illustrated by the show interviewing pre and post pubescent children with this scenario.

A man’s wife is sick and she needs medicine that costs a thousand dollars or she will die, but no matter what the man did to earn the money to buy the medicine he could not do so, so he stole the money to buy the medicine.

The pre pubescent children said, stealing is wrong and he shouldn’t have done that.

The post pubescent children said, stealing is wrong, but the man had to do that to save his wife’s life. I found this to be a stunning leap in logic. Having said that, combine that leap in cognitive ability with the childhood condition of having no responsibility to increasing responsibility, having to deal with life’s’ realities, and the relentless pounding of hormones to procreate, and the ridiculous peer and social pressure and you have a pretty intense period of growing. I’ve long said that this time of growth from 11-18 years of age is one of the toughest / fastest periods of maturing in one’s life. Then you get out of high school and realize that high school was NOTHING in reality, and the real show has just begun.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Initially I was staying with the OP‘s request for non fiction….I found one more in my library, Stealth War by Brigadier General Robert Spaulding ret. I read this book a couple of years after taking a two week trip to China.. very interesting and it goes well with my some of my observations while I was there.

951D7568-83F9-4E87-BD28-BE0DEA6E30F9.jpeg

Here is a list of fiction books that I like and hope some of you will too… they are just delicious ..

@BigN8 here’s on for you by Thomas Campbell …
C63B4DD8-38C6-41CA-90A9-F44605F82E74.jpeg

Here’s a couple of good ones by Tom Clancy regarding John Kelly aka John Clark of the Jack Ryan universe
Prequel one of my all time favorite books..
E20A8D4A-919D-45B6-973C-37D7D115600B.jpeg

The sequel
55D2E820-AC4D-40EC-A6C6-29A0DD6A0DC4.jpeg

Next would be the Bob Lee Swagger series, there are 11 or 12 books, all of them are great, by Stephen Hunter. The first book is what the movie Shooter with Marky Mark was based on, but as per usual the book(s) are vastly superior.

This is the first book… Point of Impact the audio book version, unless it has changed, is a joke, don’t bother with it, the other first few were not on audible last I checked. Buck Shirner was the reader for most all of the books, with RC Bray taking over for the last book.. while I like RC, he was not a good fit after listening to Buck for all the other books.
DA0558AA-2495-46E7-B9ED-99B159FC9FB9.jpeg

CC683B5D-99AE-4076-8C88-09ABB6B34F86.jpeg

The Black Feet series and the other six books by Joshua Dalzelle… talk about a tasty series of books that will keep you guessing!

9B8A3765-097C-4367-83A5-6595887ECD25.jpeg

AE6695CD-5BC5-402E-90FF-A0F355F594D7.jpeg

Then there is Larry Niven… winner of many Hugo and Nebula awards. Protector, Ringworld 4 books, Juggler of worlds etc.. 4 books, A world out of time-stand alone, The legacy of Heorot-three books, Flatlander-collection of shorts, Lucifers Hammer-stand alone, The Mote in gods eye-two books,

Start with…Protector, this will introduce you to Niven’s universe.

79B77873-BA5D-4391-9599-EDA6213B26FC.jpeg

The John Carter trilogy by Edgar Rice Burroughs written in 1913. This audio book set has some anecdotes added to the audio book that one may find very interesting..

B99B0395-8A42-4C60-8778-44D7D7A096A0.jpeg

Extinction Machine by Johnathan Mayberry. There is a series of these books with the same character but I have only listened to this one..

99B86665-0230-4242-BABC-3CC2794C291E.jpeg

State of Fear, by Michael Chrichton also one of my favorite books. MC wrote Jurassic Park, The Andromeda Strain, Greys Anatomy etc… he had three Phd’s and blends science fact with a fictional story, very well written books. I do not recommend the audio book on this one, its okay but the quality of the audio book is not that great, it was the first audio book I listened to so I didn’t know any better at the time.. it takes a bit to get going, but if you can stay with it until the second person dies the pace picks up after that to a point where you will not want to put it down.

F609F152-CC28-4CA6-A36A-03CF4076BD2E.jpeg

The Martian by Andy Weir.. sadly I do not think the original reader RC Bray (Independence Day Skippy!) version is available and the audio book changed readers to Will Wheaton from Star Trek the next generation who does a good job but is not nearly as funny as RC Bray.

C28FAF12-2424-4857-95BD-55B6DFCDCDDE.jpeg

I’ve also listened to most of the books that the series The Expanse was based on by James Corey… while the first several books were good, I lost interest in them. And I lost interest in the series when insider politics on the show resulted in the producers killing off one of the main characters. Up until that point the series was good though I highly recommend it.

Ayn Rand.. what an inspirational woman! Her most famous book Atlas Shrugged is a good read and listen albeit 1200 pages and 65 hours for the audio book, there is only one other book that has more copies printed in the world, that is telling. The Fountain Head is another great book, and was made into a movie around 1939 with Gary Cooper and Patrica Neal, the movie adaptation is quite good. Not so with the movie adaptation of Atlas Shrugged, the first part wasn’t bad but the rest were not good.

Well, that aught to keep some of you readers or listeners busy for a while.

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Kinda fell off the reading wagon when Grandma passed away in early December. Getting back to it though. Books I’ve finished in the last couple months:

IMG_3909.jpeg

IMG_3925.jpeg

IMG_3931.jpeg

IMG_3941.jpeg

I’m about 60 pages from finishing this one:
image.jpg
One of the best books I’ve read about the stock market. Couldn’t recommend it more to anyone who isn’t very knowledgeable on Wall Street. I’m not savvy by any means but glad what I’ve been doing with investing aligns with this book as well. There really is no bias in this book either, the guy gives it to you straight on all avenues of investing. It needs another update since the book is from 2003, but it is still the same principles used today when it comes to investing except nothing on cryptocurrency.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Sorry to hear about Grandma..,my condolences.

Was that the Ralph D Sawyer translation of The Art of War?

A little nudge on reading or listening to FDR’s folly by Jim Powell.

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry to hear about Grandma..,my condolences.

Was that the Ralph D Sawyer translation of The Art of War?

A little nudge on reading or listening to FDR’s folly by Jim Powell.
No it wasn’t, my bad on the assumption, but it was still a good read. I did order FDR’s Folly, taking awhile longer to get here due to the winter storms we’ve had is my assumption 🤷🏼‍♂️ right now it’s -19 degrees outside currently, totally over winter and ready for boating season lol.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
No it wasn’t, my bad on the assumption, but it was still a good read. I did order FDR’s Folly, taking awhile longer to get here due to the winter storms we’ve had is my assumption 🤷🏼‍♂️ right now it’s -19 degrees outside currently, totally over winter and ready for boating season lol.
I hear ya on the cold temps! 0° here this morning and -25° a week ago today.

Glad you liked AOW… I need to listen to it again for a refresher. The Ralph Sawyer translation audio book also has three cds chronicling all the battles that led up to unification.

For fiction, I’d also recommend two of Ayn Rand’s books; The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged. The Fountainhead was made into a movie in 1940? Black and White, Patricia Neal and Gary Cooper, a good adaptation of the book and to this date the longest speech in a movie. The Atlas Shrugged movies were done around 2009, part 1 was decent the rest were dismal. Both of those books should be required reading in todays schools, they used to be.

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I almost never read non-fiction but I'm a huge Rush fan so I picked up Geddy Lee's memoir "My Effin Life".

It's been a great read - interesting info on his parents who both survived the holocaust.

Capture.PNG

As for fiction, Marc Alan Edelheit's "historically accurate fantasy" books are fantastic - I've read every single one:

Last edited:

granpachuck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

View attachment 210861

View attachment 210862

Loved the Stephen Hunter books already mentioned, and I would recommend books by Robert Kurson. One is called Shadow Divers, about finding a UBoat off the Jersey shore. Another one he wrote is Rocket Men, about the Apollo 8 mission. Both are true stories and done really well.

Also reading the Jack Carr novels. He wrote Terminal List, and that one was made into a mini series on Prime.