• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Broken off Spark Plug into cylinder head

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Just checked the service manual for the TR-1 engines, mine shows 9.6 ft lbs.

Do the plugs that the 1.8L engines use have a crush washer or is it a V shaped bottom that seats into the head? I did a quick search and I see that the Yamaha outboards at least the one I found showed 18ft lbs for the spark plug which to me seems like a lot for a spark plug.

reading down one of the posts about Yamaha outboards a guy posted this from his Yamaha outboard service manual. You will notice no mention of using less torque when antiseize Is applied.. boom.

F4A73B4F-0860-4C4A-A520-0B88AA352EA7.jpeg

Last edited:

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just checked the service manual for the TR-1 engines, mine shows 9.6 ft lbs.

Do the plugs that the 1.8L engines use have a crush washer or is it a V shaped bottom that seats into the head? I did a quick search and I see that the Yamaha outboards at least the one I found showed 18ft lbs for the spark plug which to me seems like a lot for a spark plug.
It has a crush washer

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Aluminum on both
One of life's mysteries then.

I'm going to stick with 1/2 turn after finger tight like NGK recommeds, but I also use anti seize too.. It's been working for me for 30 years on my Jet Skis and boat.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So the goal is to keep the plugs from seizing in the head in a marine environment, anti seize is the only way to assure that.

Its a lot like using ethanol laced gasoline without treating it, it will be fine until it isn’t, and when it isn’t it is exceptionally bad, and you will either be kicking yourself because you didn’t treat it or because you didn’t want to pay a little extra to get non ethanol fuel when it is available to you.

It sounds like the best way is to use the 1/2 turn method after the crush washer comes in contact with the head for those who are concerned about anti seize causing over torquing.. then you get to have your cake and eat it to!

Here is the big pay off, by putting a thin coat of anti seize on the plug threads or treating gasoline properly you save the most precious commodity, time. You can never replace the time you loose on the water because of mechanical issues.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This seems really low, IIRC it’s 18.5ft/lb.
While I'm confident YOU will look for it, or at least you know where to look, this is what confounds me, when folks ask on here about the numbers instead of going to the manual. It can easily be found online if it's been lost too, so that's not a good rationale.

Given the info about the service manual and everything else in this saga, that's about all I'm gonna point out for others - your owners manual and the service manuals are there for a reason. Find them, keep them handy, and then USE them for basic info like this instead of trusting our memories.

I have a hard enough time with remembering to leave the house with pants on, don't trust my torque values! 😄

I wouldn't hesitate to pick @adrianp89's brain about audio stuff, but even then, I'd verify and/or do my own homework to add confidence or clarify the process if I could find photo help for an assist

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
While I'm confident YOU will look for it, or at least you know where to look, this is what confounds me, when folks ask on here about the numbers instead of going to the manual. It can easily be found online if it's been lost too, so that's not a good rationale.

Given the info about the service manual and everything else in this saga, that's about all I'm gonna point out for others - your owners manual and the service manuals are there for a reason. Find them, keep them handy, and then USE them for basic info like this instead of trusting our memories.

I have a hard enough time with remembering to leave the house with pants on, don't trust my torque values! 😄

I wouldn't hesitate to pick @adrianp89's brain about audio stuff, but even then, I'd verify and/or do my own homework to add confidence or clarify the process if I could find photo help for an assist
I literally look it up every time just to double check the values lol

Maslin

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Steel heads vs aluminum? I don't know what the 1.8 has?

Mercedes spark plugs have been 23 nm for a long time, all aluminum heads. ~17 foot pounds. No boat engines of course [flag]

9 seems extremely low, that's like hand tight. 23 nm isn't very much.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mercedes spark plugs have been 23 nm for a long time, all aluminum heads. ~17 foot pounds. No boat engines of course [flag]

9 seems extremely low, that's like hand tight. 23 nm isn't very much.
It's definitely not hand tight.