• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Brp vs yamaha neutral rotation

Ibeflyinhigh

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What is the technology difference between brp and yamaha that allows brp to rotate any degree while sitting neutral while yamaha cant. Is it a different bucket design, maybe some patented reason? I know it's great feature and help especially when docking. Just curious why yami is behind on this.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
It's the bucket design. It has two "side scoops" that divert thrust in either direction depending on angle of the jet nozzle.

I don't know the answer about Yamaha, but I suspect patents. Never bothered to look it up.

I'll add, it definitely is an amazing feature. I've boated my entire life and having that control is absolutely amazing in so many scenarios.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Stang7tl

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 Open ID
Boat Length
BRP is awesome and also if you are driving slow speed and a new driver gets turning out of wack just put in neutral and the turn is stopped and fixed. Yamaha that I have been on and seen can’t do it the same but in dual sticks it helps them

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm told with any dual-engine craft you can turn in place. You put one engine in forward and the other in reverse. Just a matter of how easily, fast and efficiently you can do the maneuver.

But @Luc Lafreniere nailed it. The side scoops direct the jet directly abeam. Can't get much more efficient than that without a dedicated bow/stern thruster.

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
FWIW, I have JBP Lateral Thrusters and Thrust Vector on my 2017 190 FSH; I do not think that I would want my boat to turn/rotate at idle any faster than it does. I do not know how the JBP Lateral Thrusters compare to Yamaha's design change in later models.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
FWIW, I have JBP Lateral Thrusters and Thrust Vector on my 2017 190 FSH; I do not think that I would want my boat to turn/rotate at idle any faster than it does. I do not know how the JBP Lateral Thrusters compare to Yamaha's design change in later models.
Just an FYI, the rate of rotation is completely controlled by the steering wheel rotation on Scarabs. So you can keep it perfectly straight, rotate at a super slow rate or at a super fast rate.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My old seadoo boat had throttle cables attached to the steering so when you hit the top it would bump up the RPM if it was at idle. I think that is the principle of the rotax system still, to vary engine speed based on wheel direction while in "neutral"

EDIT: Not true, @Luc Lafreniere confirmed RPMs do not change with steering on his boat

Last edited:

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Not in my case. Throttle is completely separate from the steering wheel in these systems. And of course, while in neutral, the throttle is locked in place.

VaMarine

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So I have JBP Lateral Thrusters, and have dual controls.

I haven't seen a Scarab do its brp, but I am able to turn 360 with the LTs its much easier however with the Dual Controls to do it.

JBP, you have to turn the steering wheel and generally achieve the turn outside of a full length due to the slight forward momentum in neutral.

With Duals its much harder as the reverse rpm is limited so you have to set it correctly, but you can off set the 2 engines (generally max reverse on one side, and minimum forwards on the other)

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Try doing figure 8s in reverse to see who has better control. You may be surprised...

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
lol I think the point is here that Scarabs do this a lot better than Yamaha. But Yamaha can do some sort of approximation when you have two engines.

But yeah, this one thing, there is no contest. Yamaha can win in other categories, but they won't win in this one category. It's not even close here.

VaMarine

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
lol I think the point is here that Scarabs do this a lot better than Yamaha. But Yamaha can do some sort of approximation when you have two engines.

But yeah, this one thing, there is no contest. Yamaha can win in other categories, but they won't win in this one category. It's not even close here.
Guess thats what you get for the Xtra $$$$..

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not in my case. Throttle is completely separate from the steering wheel in these systems. And of course, while in neutral, the throttle is locked in place.
But do the RPMs change as you move the steering wheel at all?

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I wrote this reply a while back ima different thread. Can’t find it though.

Yamaha has more of a “gate” and rotax has a bucket that directs water out the sides and towards the bottom. Both brands can easily turn on their axis. Rotax systems have way more responsive steering in neutral compared to forward (at slow speeds). It’s easier when driving a rotax at slow speeds, to put it in neutral, then make your turn inputs, then put it back in forward. Also, rotax reverse is opposite a car. Turn the wheel in which ever direction you want THE BOW of the boat to go. Yamaha reverse steering is identical to a car, in that when you turn the wheel one way, the bow of the boat swings in the opposite direction. See the pictures below and maybe it’ll help explain.

you can see, the rotax bucket Below, directs the flow of water to the left snd right mostly, so when in neutral, the bucket is actually half up and half down. So half your thrust is going straight out, and half is being directed to the sides (which is technically moving you backwards, but with the before mentioned back thrust, you’re held in neutral)

I’m not sure if rotax patented the reverse bucket? Because back in the day, when mercury made the sport jet engines, the same reverse bucket system was used.

31BD454E-2141-463A-8BA6-315D935CBFF6.jpeg

Yamaha reverse bucket

ED6F5AD3-8C0A-4E70-9C82-7EA7F6B80146.jpeg

Rotax Reverse bucket

Edit: fixed typos

Last edited: