• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cooling Hose/Clamp Made Simple??

Weebs74

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was out today enjoying the perfect Hawaii weather today and cruising along at WOT. Popped one of the main cooling lines off the starboard engine while in an ocean channel and lost the motor when the temp override put me into limp mode. Thank God the swells were calm, cause I was taking in water pretty quick and was able to find the problem. One of the main hoses coming into the manifold had just shot off the fitting. Clamp is still on the hose, but obviously not doing the job. I was able to get it back on though it can't handle the water pressure. It keeps trying to blow back off. The hose looks fine and runs like $85 on the yamaha site. there are also about 300 different size of small hose clamps listed on their schematic. Anyone find a cheaper place to find all the hose pieces and fittings other than buying it all from the dealer?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have replaced some rusted hose clamps with normal stainless clamps with a screw to tighten.

The original ones are not stainless, so I'm against using them again.

Did you get a lot of water in the engine bay? Where did the water go?

Bilge alarm/float is your friend

Weebs74

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I installed a float a couple of years back. it worked flawlessly...but with the plugs in the engine bay, there was still some ponding. The screw clamps won't work in some locations. there's just no was to get tools in there.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That one you are talking about I just replaced last week with a worm clamp, but it may be different in my 230 with a different engine. The worm clamp only needs access on any side by a screwdriver to tighten. The constant pressure clamps need a full set of pliers right in there...Access is a huge pain, but I found the worm clamp easier to access in every case vs. the constant pressure ones. Best of luck with the replacement.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That one you are talking about I just replaced last week with a worm clamp, but it may be different in my 230 with a different engine. The worm clamp only needs access on any side by a screwdriver to tighten. The constant pressure clamps need a full set of pliers right in there...Access is a huge pain, but I found the worm clamp easier to access in every case vs. the constant pressure ones. Best of luck with the replacement.
Get one of these.......It will make removing spring type clamps FAR FAR easier than dealing with a screw driver and a worm clamp.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Half of the ones I have tried to remove have broken while attempting to remove them. It has been a pain. I will try this tool for the ones I have remaining too.

I can't bring myself to use a clamp that is not stainless as a replacement for a rusted clamp. That's just me though.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Half of the ones I have tried to remove have broken while attempting to remove them. It has been a pain. I will try this tool for the ones I have remaining too.

I can't bring myself to use a clamp that is not stainless as a replacement for a rusted clamp. That's just me though.
I had an Audi that used those spring clamps everywhere. That clamp on a cable tool was a serious life changer 1/2 way through a project.

No arguments on replacing the mild steel with stainless. Not sure if they make stainless spring clamps though. In that case I get the move to work clamp.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll third the plan to get proper hose clamp pliers as linked above. They turn those from horrible to slightly annoying. I bought the pliers for the permanent style clamps and they are bad ass. I did a bunch of 150psi air hose with them and it holds pressure for weeks. Worm drive is my last choice now. I don't think they make stainless spring steel.

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I will try this tool for the ones I have remaining too.
Hey @Beachbummer, how did this undertaking go? Did you end up using SS Worm Clamps, or find any SS Compression/Spring Clamps? When using the pliers that @2kwik4u linked to, do you have to remove the hose to remove the old clamp and install the new. How’s are you new clamps holding up?

Finished replacing the clamps in the bilge, and now focusing on the engine compartment.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Anyone find a cheaper place to find all the hose pieces and fittings other than buying it all from the dealer?
There are a number of online places I've bought from, boats.net, partzilla etc. Yamahasportsplaza is one (they can sometimes be slow to ship...but they are west coast so closer to HI). I even bought from a motorcycle online store as their price was below others.....it was a table leg....arrived fast and was OEM.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I ended up using good old stainless worm clamps. I replaced quite a few of them.

Sadly the more rusted the OEM constant pressure clamps are (before failure) the more difficult they are to remove.

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When replacing the “tension clamps”, one needs to remove the hose to slide the old clamp off? Sorry if my question seems dense. Not overly familiar working with the constant pressure clamps, and trying to plan my attack route (or if that route is pay a mechanic).

Also, just confirming, is there a easy conversation of OEM part numbers to standard dimensions. Would like to ensure I have enough clamps in the appropriate sizes to finish the project. All of the diagrams/references I am seeing only show part numbers

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Unless the band is crumpling and can be destroyed to remove it, the hose needs to be disconnected to slide the clamp off. The answer to your first question is YES.

You can check outside diameter of the hose to select the matching clamp. Many kinds and styles available, but no constant pressure stainless I could find that I trusted.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was out today enjoying the perfect Hawaii weather today and cruising along at WOT. Popped one of the main cooling lines off the starboard engine while in an ocean channel and lost the motor when the temp override put me into limp mode. Thank God the swells were calm, cause I was taking in water pretty quick and was able to find the problem. One of the main hoses coming into the manifold had just shot off the fitting. Clamp is still on the hose, but obviously not doing the job. I was able to get it back on though it can't handle the water pressure. It keeps trying to blow back off. The hose looks fine and runs like $85 on the yamaha site. there are also about 300 different size of small hose clamps listed on their schematic. Anyone find a cheaper place to find all the hose pieces and fittings other than buying it all from the dealer?
Can you identify that hose. I think I noticed how easily it can slip off when I was removing some of the hoses on my SX230. Thanks.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Weebs74 Question: What happened first-hose disconnect or overheat?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We need a Project Farm test on stainless clamp types.

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thoughts on this approach...

I was researching corrosion prevention coatings and came across KBS Coatings. Below is a link to their sampler kit, which covers ~12sq ft, shipped for less than $30
System Sampler - Stop Rust Paint - KBS Coatings - RustSeal

Pair that with the standard style clamps (zinc coated), purchased in bulk (vs OEM clamps at $4-5/clamp).

I emailed KBS Coatings and they said their product could be used on hose clamps, just needs 48 hours of curing time before installation.

Still uncertain if I’m willing to undertake the entire process, or maybe just buying and prepping the clamps and having a mechanic/tech do the install/replace, as I’m still unclear how many clamps there on on the MR1 engines.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
To me, that looks like conformal coating. Not sure how it would hold up in this use, but if you're going to try it, I would get the liquid, not the spray, and dunk all of your parts prior to assembly. Much better chance of complete coverage that way, IMO.

The theory seems plausible.