• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
The real cog here is that most (not my words, the HHS Admiral's) Covid transmission is from asymptomatic people. Consider this and the fact that antibodies may fade in as little as 2 months (meaning you can catch it again). Sobering...
Interesting side note, I was especially interested for those that were asymptomatic and were administered riboviran in order to strengthen immune systems. Although stated, no significant follow up data is available, I wonder how their immune systems would compare with subsequent exposure to Covid And if riboviran has any benefit to the symptomatic population. lots of details to process.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I’m for the masks. I’ll admit I’m a Republican. Trump seemed anti masks at first, but gave the “what the hell do you have to lose” quote regarding hydroxide. Well, “what the hell do you have to lose” by wearing a mask?
There is nothing wrong with being Democrat or Republican. Absolutely nothing. Only thing that matters is doing what we can to help ourselves and each other. Like it or not, we're all in this together. I would think wearing a mask is the least we can do.

Sealegs89

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There is nothing wrong with being Democrat or Republican. Absolutely nothing. Only thing that matters is doing what we can to help ourselves and each other. Like it or not, we're all in this together. I would think wearing a mask is the least we can do.
Well said!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Below is a link to another really good article on excess death data. Excess deaths are the simplest way to gauge the impact of Covid on the death toll. For the US it shows we are undercounting covid deaths by at least 14%.

The approach is really simple. We know what the average number of deaths per month we have in the US, and it doesn't vary much at all. So all you do is compare the current death rate to the expected average and you can calculate how many extra deaths are occurring. Pretty much blows a giant hole in all the conspiracy theories and data doubters, and its basic logic.

As for mask use. It is the simplest thing to do, and has been known for over 100 years to reduce the spread of disease. Even in the 1918 flu pandemic people complained about wearing them. Back then though they started fining people who didn't. Now we've moved into insane political battles about basic science and don't have the balls to support our WORLD LEADING scientists. This country does have some of the top scientists in the world, and so many rightly are very proud of our world leadership in science and technology, yet when its convenient (for a particular political position) they all of a sudden become quacks and totally unreliable.

I wear a mask for me and all those around me. I'm proud to do so and consider it a civic duty and a socially responsible thing to do.

Deaths are a big focus, and our AMAZING healthcare workers are doing great things to reduce the mortality rate!!! That is fantastic. But don't forget that we don't yet know the long term impact to all those who've battled and survived this disease. Many will almost certainly have life long disabilities and these wont be easily counted and measured. That said, we must reopen as soon as possible. Wearing masks, and ideally good masks, will enable us to reopen with less spread sooner. So it's the economic thing to do as well.

So I support the economy reopening and help to protect others (and my family) by the very simple act of donning a mask. It's a no brainer for me.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
While I do not agree with many of the arguments presented here, I should not insult others. I am very passionate about this issue as I am in the trenches (ICU). I want to apologize for my language and tone. Please everyone stay safe and try to keep others safe as well.

BeauSko

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
While I do not agree with many of the arguments presented here, I should not insult others. I am very passionate about this issue as I am in the trenches (ICU). I want to apologize for my language and tone. Please everyone stay safe and try to keep others safe as well.
Right on my man. Respect. I meant what I said too...one of the greatest professions there is. Stay safe.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@tabbibus Your tone can't be tolerated. Please set a date and time that I can meet you to pick up your boat. Please have a full tank and wash and wax it for me. Thanks. ;)

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
We know this isn't you. This is just frustration showing. Frustration knowing you could catch this, possibly bring it home or even (god forbid) die from it. Doctors and nurses IMHO will not be the same after this. I've said it before (somewhere in these 87 pages), counseling should be provided so you can talk, vent and start healing. We/I have your back here. Several members know you (albeit here in this forum), and understand. Those that don't soon will. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for continuing to fight. I admire you for you are a better man than me. I honestly don't know how you do it. I'm in awe...

Rockfords Fosgate

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Interesting side note, I was especially interested for those that were asymptomatic and were administered riboviran in order to strengthen immune systems. Although stated, no significant follow up data is available, I wonder how their immune systems would compare with subsequent exposure to Covid And if riboviran has any benefit to the symptomatic population. lots of details to process.
It's hard to stay up on what's working and what's not. It now appears that hydroxychloroquine is effective after all, if given early in the process.

According to a July 4 study, Ribavirin may be beneficial as an add-on therapy and is ineffective as a monotherapy.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's hard to stay up on what's working and what's not. It now appears that hydroxychloroquine is effective after all, if given early in the process.

According to a July 4 study, Ribavirin may be beneficial as an add-on therapy and is ineffective as a monotherapy.
I had my annual physical and got the local hospital scoop from the Dr. They are the largest in our county. They are treating exclusively with Hydroxy/zinc because they can't get anything else. 17 deaths out of 577 cases, 15 deaths from one nursing home with folks in 80s and 90s, 1 non nursing home death was elderly, and I think there was 1 death with health issue.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Don’t know about riv
I had my annual physical and got the local hospital scoop from the Dr. They are the largest in our county. They are treating exclusively with Hydroxy/zinc because they can't get anything else. 17 deaths out of 577 cases, 15 deaths from one nursing home with folks in 80s and 90s, 1 non nursing home death was elderly, and I think there was 1 death with health issue.
we don’t use hydroxy anymore. The most recent study that suggested a benefit has a big issue in my eyes. Most in the hcq group also got steroids, which We now know has a benefit. So you could argue that the HCQ group got better because of the steroids and not because of the HCQ.

Our treatment armament consists of remdesivir, actemra or dexamethasone, convalescent plasma if available, plasma exchange therapy, vit c, zn.

I’m on service this week. Started yesterday with half my icu filled with COVID

Rockfords Fosgate

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Here is the July 17 study. I bolded some of the text for emphasis. This study mirrors some of the updates I was reading about from Europe. They are having significant success with hydroxychloroquine.

Both drugs have been used in the treatment and prophylaxis of malaria and long-term use of hydroxychloroquine is the cornerstone in the treatment of several auto-immune disorders. There is convincing evidence that hydroxychloroquine has strong in vitro antiviral activity against SARS-CoV-2. Few small uncontrolled trials and several anecdotal reports have shown conflicting results of such drug therapy in COVID-19. However, as of today, the results of large scale randomized controlled trials are not available. Despite the lack of such evidence, hydroxychloroquine is used as a desperate attempt for prophylaxis and treatment of COVID-19. The drug has wide-ranging drug interactions and potential cardiotoxicity. Indiscriminate unsupervised use can expose the public to serious adverse drug effects.

Rockfords Fosgate

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
we don’t use hydroxy anymore.
That's interesting. How does your department come to an understanding of what the prevailing course of care is? Is it a case by case basis as determined by the presiding physician or does the medical director provide guidance?

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That's interesting. How does your department come to an understanding of what the prevailing course of care is? Is it a case by case basis as determined by the presiding physician or does the medical director provide guidance?
We have a group / task force in our hospital system who reviews literature and also speaks with colleagues from other hospital systems. They come up with guidelines. Which are just that. Guidelines. We don’t do things strictly by protocol but asses every case and adjust therapy as needed. Hcq has been not been used by any of us either in the icu nor in the general wards

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Well shit. I’m getting beat up today. 5 new covids to the unit. Our icu is in saturation status (no more admits from ER) and we are close to diversion

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What do our experts that deal with COVID-19 medically think about the emerging data linking severe COVID-19 and Vitamin D deficiency? I follow both Dr John Campbell (UK based, PhD nurse & educator) and MEDCRAM YouTube channels' daily pandemic coverage, and both have presented extensive research indicating not only a strong link but a likely easy, inexpensive way to reduce risk of severe COVID-19 disease by treating Vitamin D efficiency. Dr John Campbell has shown data many times indicating that that endemic Vitamin D deficiency may well also explain (much of) the disparate impact various people with more melanin have experienced.

Why is Vitamin D not getting more time in the various COVID-19 discussions we hear every day?

From late last week, MEDCRAM extensively covers recent publications, one that goes so far as to recommended that immediately giving 50,000 iu of Vitamin D3 to newly admitted COVID-19 cases as a new "standard of care:"
(NOTE the lecturer is a big biochem guy, his lectures are aimed at medical professionals, etc., so is quite technical. Also, the above discussion is addressed throughout but gets really interesting at about the 7:45 mark in the linked video).

Anyone have any thoughts on this Vitamin D link to severe COVID-19?

Worth noting: I discussed with my doctor and increased my daily D3 supplement based on some of this research back in April (so this Vitamin D link idea is not brand new) under his guidance. My D3 levels are now well within normal range (vs approx 50% of the low end target range before.)

Last edited:

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Was that you causing trouble in the ER? Ha

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don’t know about riv

we don’t use hydroxy anymore. The most recent study that suggested a benefit has a big issue in my eyes. Most in the hcq group also got steroids, which We now know has a benefit. So you could argue that the HCQ group got better because of the steroids and not because of the HCQ.

Our treatment armament consists of remdesivir, actemra or dexamethasone, convalescent plasma if available, plasma exchange therapy, vit c, zn.

I’m on service this week. Started yesterday with half my icu filled with COVID
I’m only relaying what was said. She said the larger urban hospitals are getting remdesivir and they get none.

Status
Not open for further replies.