• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Drowning Doesn't Look Like Drowning <READ THIS PLEASE!>

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Watched this video last week. On Sunday watched a 10 year old drowning and immediately ran towards him and waved at the family next to him (they were about 50 yards away from me). Was literally just like this information described. Not like Hollywood's version at all.
Kid was rescued by a sister that was 10 feet away and all ended well. Just never actually seen someone drowning before. I'm glad I watched this, I may have ignored the situation otherwise.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Watched this video last week. On Sunday watched a 10 year old drowning and immediately ran towards him and waved at the family next to him (they were about 50 yards away from me). Was literally just like this information described. Not like Hollywood's version at all.
Kid was rescued by a sister that was 10 feet away and all ended well. Just never actually seen someone drowning before. I'm glad I watched this, I may have ignored the situation otherwise.
AWESOME JOB!!!!! Saved a life!!!!

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Um, I think we need something above 'winner' on the reaction chart for that one. Good job, @rsg1963 .

Firehouse100

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great article. I know the season for many has ended but I would encourage any one that does not know CPR to take the course just in case that something does go south. I'm sure everyone has a first aid kit, mine also includes a pock mask for CPR. This article has some interesting reading.

http://www.healthline.com/health/near-drowning

LeeFlan7

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As a father of 3 boys thank you for the post...the more informed we all are on the water the safer and more enjoyable it will be

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have 3 boys myself, in fact.

And we all need to take seriously that when we are captain, we are responsible for everyone's safety on our vessel.

PortTobacco II

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is required reading for everyone, but especially captains. And now that some are getting some warmer weather already...

http://mariovittone.com/2010/05/154/

And good to revisit periodically. I know it is already among the long tips and tricks list, but IMHO it deserves its own post. Perhaps a nice admin can sticky?

Shared on FaceBook!!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Lol Funny. He was struggling for while before the life guard saw him. :eek:

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Even though we have this as a Sticky in the general forum....never hurts to remind everyone to be safe out there and to keep this info fresh in your mind, the minds of your children, your children's friends they bring along, and other adults you bring on your boat, especially as the boating season is about to spin up for many of us....

https://jetboaters.net/faq/what-does-drowning-look-sound-like-read-me-please.16/

• Drowning is the 3rd leading cause of unintentional injury death worldwide, accounting for 7% of all injury-related deaths.
  • There are an estimated 360 000 annual drowning deaths worldwide.

Rule 62

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Let us stay ever vigilant. The Sea/Water be a bitter mistress.
As much as we love her she holds no quarter for mankind.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Another casualty for our local lake. Here's a snippet from the article below. I mean seriously??? Com'on... The guy was 24 years old.

He said Applon was riding the watercraft without a life jacket and without the “kill switch,” which shuts off the craft if the rider falls off.

Rescuers with the Lewisville Fire Department and state game wardens had been searching for the man since Sunday afternoon. Swofford said the man’s body was sent to the Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s Office. An official there said Applon's body is scheduled for an examination Wednesday.

Brent Markham

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Defintely good reads here in this thread. Thanks for the posts.

nf22

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thank you for the article. It was very informative.
I make my kids and anyone else on the boat wear a job belt (pic below) when they want to jump off of the boat in the middle of the lake to swim. I also make the kids wear it when they go out to swim dock to horse around. There are just too many variables in a large body of water. The jog belt lets the kids and adults feel like they are swimming and diving freely but you have the comfort of knowing that they will always float up...

Attachments

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The jog belt lets the... adults feel like they are swimming and diving freely
ROTFLMAO!! You make Adults wear that thing too!?!

Haha... I don't make my son (12 y/o) wear a pfd when he's swimming.
(Unless we're in the Gulf of Mexico... and there's a decent current).
That being said my boy has been swimming in deep water since he was three.

I do enforce that EVERYONE wears a pfd during any water sport.

nf22

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No, I don’t make the adults wear them, but when I turn the boat off and jump in the water in the middle of the lake, I personally like to wear the belt so I’m not constantly treading water for 20-30 min and can just chill with a beer ( I offer to adults, after 15min of treading water on a hot July day, they can make their own decision). I would say my kids age 11 and 14 are very strong swimmers growing up with a lake house and when out on weekends with all of the boats on the lake and everyone jumping in and out of the boat, I feel more comfortable with them and their friends wearing it. If they hit their head trying to get up the latter and I’m not watching them, I’m not taking a chance in 50ft of dark lake water... listen, to each their own, but the little belt is much easier to get on the kids than a big heavy life vest..