• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Drowning Doesn't Look Like Drowning <READ THIS PLEASE!>

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I try to share this as much as possible, but it appears the link is dead. Is there an updated one?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I also managed to find the original article on the Wayback machine and printed it to PDF.....

Attachments

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Great article and very informative!

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We were at one of the coves last year and the Admirals pool noodle floated away so she asked me to go get it - about 50 yards or so. As I was swimming towards it the current was taking it out and I wasn't making as much progress as I had hoped. Being an old fat guy I got to a point where I was huffing/puffing pretty hard and was getting short of breath. I looked back at my boat to see if my girlfriend was watching and she wasn't so there would be no miracle rescue if it was needed. At this point I was about 10 yards from the noodle but knew that if I kept going and couldn't get to it I was going to be in trouble. I decided to tread water for a little bit and then started my way back towards the cove. I stopped about every 10 yards to see if I could touch bottom and it took me about 40 yards until I could stand. I rested for a few minutes and waded back to the boat and as I came around the stern the Admiral was bullshitting with a gal from the pontoon anchored next to us. As I leaned my exhausted old man body on the swim deck she asked where the noodle was. I explained that I had a near death experience and she and the pontoon gal started giggling at me.....WTF. :)

Needless to say, I take this stuff way more seriously than I did before that episode.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
We were at one of the coves last year and the Admirals pool noodle floated away so she asked me to go get it - about 50 yards or so. As I was swimming towards it the current was taking it out and I wasn't making as much progress as I had hoped. Being an old fat guy I got to a point where I was huffing/puffing pretty hard and was getting short of breath. I looked back at my boat to see if my girlfriend was watching and she wasn't so there would be no miracle rescue if it was needed. At this point I was about 10 yards from the noodle but knew that if I kept going and couldn't get to it I was going to be in trouble. I decided to tread water for a little bit and then started my way back towards the cove. I stopped about every 10 yards to see if I could touch bottom and it took me about 40 yards until I could stand. I rested for a few minutes and waded back to the boat and as I came around the stern the Admiral was bullshitting with a gal from the pontoon anchored next to us. As I leaned my exhausted old man body on the swim deck she asked where the noodle was. I explained that I had a near death experience and she and the pontoon gal started giggling at me.....WTF. :)

Needless to say, I take this stuff way more seriously than I did before that episode.
On that note…. as long as the water was / is warm enough I usually make a few laps around the boat. When I first was doing this my heart rate would be up and I’d be puffing a bit, this was a couple years ago. I thought then, man, If I had to swim a ways… well that wouldn’t be good. I started working out properly at the end of 2022, and my friend said to me one day, you know, sooner or later you are going to find yourself in a situation where people really need your help…… badly, and you better be a strong swimmer. So now I work swimming in with my land workouts, when I swim, this year I do 1.5 miles in the pool without stopping, two to three times a week. Late last summer I was doing 3 miles three times a week for the summer challenge. Not that I’m all that and a bag of chips, but I am confident that I can at least get to shore without trying too hard, and I have enough reserve to swim for two to shore if need be.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
My father-in-law nearly drowned about 15 years ago when he flipped over the canoe that we were fishing from. Neither of us were wearing PFD’s. We were very close to shore and he was focused on saving his fishing gear. He seemed perfectly fine in the water for a few minutes then started to go under. Fortunately, we (myself with the help from another boater) got him to shore and called an ambulance. He ended up staying about 4 days in a VA hospital because of his age and the water in his lungs. Thankfully, he fully recovered. Never since have I canoed or kayaked without a vest.

Jim