• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Drowning Doesn't Look Like Drowning <READ THIS PLEASE!>

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My kids wear and their friends wear lifejackets any time they're in water over chest deep. The only exception I've ever made to this rule was when we were in Bimini, you couldn't sink if you wanted to there. I am a certified water rescue and recovery technician and public safety diver; I've pulled far too many bodies off the bottom that were there mainly because they were too "cool" (or ignorant of the dangers) to wear a lifejacket. Drowning can happen in the blink of an eye and once your loved one slips into the depths, good luck finding them in time to save them.

JimmyB

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Agreed. We boat mostly at Lake Cumberland with avg depth of 75’ with visibility only about 6’. Kids 100% vests when underway or swimming. Adults strongly encouraged to wear vests or belt when we are swimming - if for no other reason than it’s easier to hold a drink when not treading water. Plus rather be safe than sorry. Got an anchor rope around my leg once in the water and the only thing that saved me was my vest and ability to grab the boat. No one knew and I was less than 5 feet from everyone. Stuff can happen fast.

Rule number 1 on my boat - no one gets hurt.
Rule number 2 - everyone has fun.

Stay safe everybody!

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Got an anchor rope around my leg once in the water and the only thing that saved me was my vest and ability to grab the boat. No one knew and I was less than 5 feet from everyone.
And that's how quickly it can happen.

When we have younger children, or non swimmers on board they wear PFDs while underway as well. However for my son, his friends, and momma & I we just use pool floats or noodles to ease in the swim/drink/eat activities.

Pool floats are cheap and easy to store. I tie up our floating line to our rear cleats and then secure the line through the handles on the floats. Good times.....
I miss summer :(

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Getting warmer here in Texas. Want to take out the boat. So I went and re-read this first post here. Maybe you should, too?

mattbaker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ahh! Finally something worth reading! Thanks for sharing!

jryan

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Agreed, I sent this to all my boating friends and parents with pools. Hard to read but an eye opener for sure.

pmustico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Read this. I have exciting it myself. Be ready. Be knowledgeable. Don't be Weekender.

Vandkyle

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just bought my boat late last fall, and this upcoming season (live in Michigan) will be my first full season on the water. Very informative read! I will come back to this article to refresh the good-ole memory often!

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you for the post @tdonoughue ! We are going out tomorrow. I already feel much better prepared>

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

mbtodd

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is one of the most difficult things to read with 3 kids under 11yrs old. Not 2 weeks ago we thought we had lost one to really strong waves when he actually buried himself in the sand up to his head. I have nightmares about that.
Thank you sharing, i'll pass this on.

Scarab47

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Great reminder that drowning doesn’t look like what you see on TV. Glad to see this important reminder still gets attention 6 years after original post.

Last edited:

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
This is one of the most difficult things to read with 3 kids under 11yrs old. Not 2 weeks ago we thought we had lost one to really strong waves when he actually buried himself in the sand up to his head. I have nightmares about that.
Thank you sharing, i'll pass this on.
I’m sure that was terrifying. Glad it all worked out.

Slant555

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
This is required reading for everyone, but especially captains. And now that some are getting some warmer weather already...

Drowning Doesn’t Look Like Drowning

And good to revisit periodically. I know it is already among the long tips and tricks list, but IMHO it deserves its own post. Perhaps a nice admin can sticky?
Great post! Much appreciated.

Zigggy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Yes! 5years of open water lifeguarding at a popular beach, and multiple rescues.

The article is spot on!

And, if you’ve ever been a lifeguard, you never stop being one. It’s been years, but I still scan the water and watch for this .