• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Electrical box covers

Trucon01

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Hi all,

Wondering what people's opinions are about getting the electrical box covers for the 2 boxes in the engine bay that Yamaha doesn't provide. If you're going to rinse the engine bay out, I would think the extra 170 bucks may be worth it...

Thoughts??

It's line item 3 from this site...
6S5-81942-21-00

Looks like a worth while investment…. But there is probably a reason they didn’t put those in. Might want to ask Yamaha corporate.

You could always just cover those electrical boxes with a plastic bag and don’t shoot water right on them… I would also be sure and spray silicone spray on all the electrical connections in the engine bay regularly, especially before washing.

I clean the engine bay each outing (salt environment) and I've just been covering the electrical boxes with a sturdy section of visqueen (plastic sheet) plus as stated by FSH 210 Sport, hit the boxes with a generous amount of the silicone spray prior to the wash. I always run up the engine again after the wash just to make sure everything fires right back up.

Hmm...maybe heat related reasons? Do the ECU's get hot?

Im thinking those covers are referenced for wave runners, perhaps greater likelihood of submersion?

Some of the older 230 models had/have ECUs that fail. One member directly attributed it to water ingress from water coming through the engine hatch. The recommendation was to cover the ECUs with flashing or at least duct tape. A complete box would likely be a good idea - but I also don't know about cooling requirements. It sure can't hurt to do something to protect them from overspray.

Many with SX230s have found their ECU case full of water, specially 2003-2006 model had water falling from the hatch right on top of the ecu case. It's supposed to be sealed, but it means once water seeps through the top it cannot escape through the bottom, and damage ensues. The design on the 2007-2009 hull provides some protection, but the same has happened to those that have flooded their engine bay. Once water enters the box it seems to have a very hard time existing.

Perhaps a better design decision would have been to offer a small weep hole at the bottom, so if water entered it had a chance to exit.

If you enclose it, keep this in mind. It's not common, but it can happen.

The Yamaha waverunners with the 1.8 have the covers. I've thought about test fitting my waverunner cover on my AR since appearance wise it looks as if it will fit, haven't cross referenced the part #'s . The ECU on my supercharged waverunner is closer to the engine/exhaust than it is on the boat with less ventilation. I wash my engine compartment on the waverunner and so far water has not collected on the ECU box with the cover on.

Back