• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine stalls on throttle up

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Fwiw @Steve Moyer i couldn't see any water or debris in mine either. However, I couldn't even get my engines to start on the bad gas. Hopefully you will see an improvement when out on the water.

Steve Moyer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm tempted to go out and idle around till I use it up but that could sure take awhile.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Siphon it all out and start with fresh. That is the best way to eliminate the gas as a problem.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Isn't there a gas test kit available at auto parts stores?

Steve Moyer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Isn't there a gas test kit available at auto parts stores?
I'll check it out, Murf. I'd hate to waste that much gas. Tanks about full.
I finally got in contacted the previous owner and he said last time he had it out was july 30th this year. He said it ran great. I don't think gas would go bad that fast. I checked and it has 45hrs on the engines. WTH

Last edited:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Maybe the gas the previous owner bought was bad to begin with, or was already going bad but did not impact operation until now. I've read similar stories of getting stale gas from marinas that don't want to replenish their tanks before the off season but don't see how it could happen in Florida since you can boat almost year round there.

Addicted

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I realize that 50 gallons of fuel is hard to throw out (and dispose of), but big picture time. Your boat is not running and 50 gallons of fuel is worth about $150. If that solves your issue, it is a cheap fix and gets you on the water instead of chasing an issue. ;)

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Have you tried running with the engine hatch open? We've seen exhaust leaks that choke the motors out when running at speed.

Steve Moyer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Have you tried running with the engine hatch open? We've seen exhaust leaks that choke the motors out when running at speed.
No I haven't Murf, but that reminds me that there was, what I think, an unusual (in my uneducated opinion) amount of exhaust coming from under the seat behind the Captains chair. In fact my cooler reeked of it from the short time we were out there. I have a few busy days at work so it'll be a couple of days till I can get it in the water but I'll check that out. Still trying to find a place that will take 40+ gallons of bad fuel.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No I haven't Murf, but that reminds me that there was, what I think, an unusual (in my uneducated opinion) amount of exhaust coming from under the seat behind the Captains chair. In fact my cooler reeked of it from the short time we were out there. I have a few busy days at work so it'll be a couple of days till I can get it in the water but I'll check that out. Still trying to find a place that will take 40+ gallons of bad fuel.
@Murf'n'surf might have nailed this. @Steve Moyer it might be worth heading out once more before emptying the tank for a quick trip to see if it is an exhaust leak. But if you've emptied it already, hang onto the fuel, you could probably run it through a car if it turn out to be an exhaust leak.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You can usually get rid of fuel at your local government recycling center. My county has sites that you can turn in electronics, paint, oil, gas, batteries, etc.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
could it be starving for air?
Damn...I should have remembered the other case of air starvation (exhaust leak)...I'll get that next time! I need to look up the engine problem FAQ and see if we have all of this covered in it! Perhaps add this thread as a reference!

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree that @Murf'n'surf probably nailed this one.

But for point of reference: there is NO exhaust coming from behind my captain's chair. No smell in anything in that storage area--nothing. If you are smelling anything, you can bet you have an exhaust leak.

Plus! Leaking exhaust is a sure way to wind up with carbon monoxide poisoning for you and your crew. So, fixing that should be a priority. There have been debates about the effects of CO while riding on the swim platform while underway--that is nothing compared to if exhaust is leaking into the cabin! In fact, rather than taking it out, I would recommend inspecting the exhaust system first. And I would probably just run it on water (outside, please) to see if I could see/feel where the leak was. I would not want to mess with being on the water with a known exhaust leak.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does it smell like exhaust or fuel just curious? Also have you checked the air filters to make sure there is no oil or grease on them?

Steve Moyer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Does it smell like exhaust or fuel just curious? Also have you checked the air filters to make sure there is no oil or grease on them?
I glanced at the air filters by opening the hatches and ran my finger on them but did not feel any oil or grease. Monday or Tuesday I'll have time to check better. I going to say it smelled like exhaust. In fact, when I lifted the seat to get a drink, while I waited to restart, exhaust smoke came out. I will also say that after it stalls it smells like its flooded and I have to wait to restart. It was windy that day and as you know I couldn't really get moving so I assumed the exhaust had just been forced in there. But now, I'm second guessing that. (tdonoughue) I'll be sure to check that thoroughly before going out to see how it runs with the engine hatch up.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You've got an exhaust leak for sure. You'll need to access the far aft bilge area through the clean out tray. You probably had a couple hose clamps rust and fall off of an exhaust hose.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Steve Moyer to prove out an exhaust leak you can run with the engine hatch open and/or the fan running. If your engines are chocking on exhaust fumes that will alleviate it. If it runs ok this way you will want to pull the rear tray to access the lower bilge to locate the broken hose clamp as @Murf'n'surf mentioned.