• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine stalls on throttle up

Steve Moyer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
OK, The verdict is in, and Murf did nail it. I took it out, powered up and it began to choke, lifted the engine hatch, and it took off. Definitely a exhaust leak. Drove it around for a bit and it ran as it should. Now I just got to find the leak. I'll pop open the blow out plug hatch and get a good look at it tomorrow. Once again gentlemen, you are awesome. Thank you, everyone that help me. I'll do my best to pay it forward. Yeeeehaaa!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
You may find that the leak is in the engine compartment itself. Just check the exhaust hose clamps. If you do have to remove the clean out tray, replace the silicone sealant with a waterproof weatherstripping gasket...makes getting in there a breeze the next time.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It took 4 pages but we got you fixed! Please update us when you get more info.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
OK, The verdict is in, and Murf did nail it. I took it out, powered up and it began to choke, lifted the engine hatch, and it took off. Definitely a exhaust leak. Drove it around for a bit and it ran as it should. Now I just got to find the leak. I'll pop open the blow out plug hatch and get a good look at it tomorrow. Once again gentlemen, you are awesome. Thank you, everyone that help me. I'll do my best to pay it forward. Yeeeehaaa!
That's awesome! And it's a fix that won't cost anything. Thanks for the updates.

Steve Moyer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I did notice some water in the engine compartment. Is that an indication that the leak may be in the engine area?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I did notice some water in the engine compartment. Is that an indication that the leak may be in the engine area?
Depends on where you see it. Run you hands under all exhaust component to feel for moisture. Generally, all water that enters the boat will show up in the bilge behind the motors where the bilge pump is.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Do you know if the water was warm or not? If the water was cool, then it came from the outside of your boat. If it was warm, then it's coming from a leak with your cooling system.

@Murf'n'surf correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that tied to the exhaust too? Could the exhaust leak be tied to the water he is seeing (if it's warm water).

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
If the water is warmer than the water your boating in, it came from the exhaust circulation water. Finding water inside the engine compartment is an indication the leak is there. The exception to that is if the leak is bad enough to fill the lower bilge and for the level to flow through the aft compartment wall and into the engine compartment, where the bilge pump is. It takes a couple gallons of water to force water into the engine compartment. If the bilge isn't full of water, and you have water in the engine compartment, and that water is warm, that is where your leak is.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The water is most likely from the separated exhaust hose as water flows through it with the gases, but it could be a separate issue with the cooling lines.

Steve Moyer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Still have to take it apart but by looking in the access panel here is a picture of the starboard and port muffler. The port side looks to be slid back a little from the wall and could be the culprit. I'll keep it updated but unfortunately, once again, I'm getting pulled away from the job by other pressing issues. Uhg.IMG_1063[1].JPG IMG_1064[1].JPG

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Still have to take it apart but by looking in the access panel here is a picture of the starboard and port muffler. The port side looks to be slid back a little from the wall and could be the culprit. I'll keep it updated but unfortunately, once again, I'm getting pulled away from the job by other pressing issues. Uhg.View attachment 31517 View attachment 31518
@Steve Moyer the port side that has slid back from the bulkhead is most likely disconnected in the engine compartment. There is a large rubber collar connecting the exhaust manifold to the inlet of the muffler. I would start there. Should be an easy fix. Possibly a broken clamp.

While you have the rear access tray out check ALL your clamps. Get a ratchet & socket, apply a little torque to every clamp as some may be broken without appearing to be.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
And..... Use quality STAINLESS STEEL hose clamps. The cheaper ones will rust out in no time.

Steve Moyer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Here's a little update. I took the hatch off and tightened the clamps. I snapped one and replaced it with stainless. Then checked and tightened the ones in the engine compartment. Several were loose under the hatch but the engine ones were pretty tight. Took the boat out and much to my dismay, same problem. We still road around for a couple hours with the engine hatch cracked and it ran good. I had a lot of moisture (like steam) coming out from the under the seats and cabin storage areas. It even began to fog my tach/speed gauges. When we stopped to watch the sunset I lifted the engine hatch to find water about half way up the engines and the bilge was not working.....Uhhggg. I fired up and headed for the ramp. Once I got it on the trailer and pulled the plug a lot of water came out. Almost a New Years Eve disaster. So after pulling up the parts diagram, to see if I had tightened all clamps, I found there is two areas I didn't see near the exhaust ports at the bottom. Not sure if I can reach them but I'll try. Does the bilge pump have a fuse? It does light up on the console. I can't imagine one going this early. BTW I did sprayed down the safe areas of the engine and compartment. Wow, I'm getting frustrated.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The bilge pump should be tested prior to every outing in your boat. As should you check oil and blowers. Yes, the bilge has a circuit breaker under the rubber cover, but if you open the hatch and just turn it on, you can hear if it buzzes or not. Even if it buzzes, it may be clogged up. It is between your engines and in the back of the engine compartment, you should just unsnap it from the strainer and check it. If the water in the engine compartment is warm, it is an exhaust leak and if it is coming up half way on the engines, it is severe. I wouldn't go back out until you isolate it or not too far anyway. Maybe run it on the ramp still on the trailer? Good luck!

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The bilge pump should be tested prior to every outing in your boat.
'lest you end up 3 miles off the coast of Florida en route to Bimini with 4-6" of standing water in your boat. And I checked mine a week before we left...

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When you replace the bilge pump buy a second and keep it on the boat it's such an easy fix that it's worth keeping a second one with you. Even though I will admit I don't know that I would have wanted to try switching them during the crossing on the Bimini trip @veedubtek this year.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ya'll should carry a portable with alligator clamps. These are nice for pumping out the skit locker for those of us in flat states.

https://jet.com/product/detail/922fd6d91fd14a01ab832f36a6e77f5c?jcmp=pla:ggl:cwin_vehicles_parts_a2:vehicles_parts_vehicle_parts_accessories_watercraft_parts_accessories_a2_other:na:na:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&k_clickid=559ba4bc-f063-49d9-880e-a7036b626dc7&gclid=CjwKEAiA5Ji0BRC5huTCyOTR3wISJACH4Bx4VT4Mx__AxMK5msi4nsmIGIz6tnbYAiQVFviC0jJruRoC2BTw_

On topic...... Maybe there is damage to your water box (muffler) like a hole rubbed through the bottom.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I recall a member having the clamp between the exhaust ring on the transon and the exhaust pipe on the inside come loose and almost sink their boat....I'd be looking at this spot as they took on a lot of water when that happened.

Steve Moyer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Julian, I think I just read that thread. It was Ed, back in june 2014, ("Almost sunk my boat"). That is the very clamps I didn't see when tightning the others. The rest of the story is my exact experiences as well. Complete with stalling and recovery. I know where I'll be looking today. He even had the bilge failure. How bizzare? I'll also be going to West Marine to get that back up pump, or order that clip on one Murf suggested. Thanks guys, you are the best.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Julian, I think I just read that thread. It was Ed, back in june 2014, ("Almost sunk my boat"). That is the very clamps I didn't see when tightning the others. The rest of the story is my exact experiences as well. Complete with stalling and recovery. I know where I'll be looking today. He even had the bilge failure. How bizzare? I'll also be going to West Marine to get that back up pump, or order that clip on one Murf suggested. Thanks guys, you are the best.
Was your primary pump just clogged? Be sure to add that to your spring cleaning checkup routine (unclip the pump and clean the screen). Lets hope you've finally nailed down the problem!